PRM 160 dipstick

Featured Posts

Hi, Ive asked in the wanted section for a replacement dipstick , as the center bit on mine has vanished ( inside the box I fear) does anyone have one they can measure the length of, as they seem hard to get so thought I could make a new one if I had finished length and distances for full and empty. 

Thanks

Dibbo 

3 minutes ago, Dibbo said:

Hi, Ive asked in the wanted section for a replacement dipstick , as the center bit on mine has vanished ( inside the box I fear) does anyone have one they can measure the length of, as they seem hard to get so thought I could make a new one if I had finished length and distances for full and empty. 

Thanks

Dibbo 

If you have damage the dipstick and it has fallen inside I suggest you remove the box and have the piece removed. We had a piece missing off one of our gearboxes which eventualy found its way into the pump inside the box and shagged the box. Edited to add that ours was a prm 500 so I am unsure as to wether the same would apply to a small box.

Edited by mrsmelly

39 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If your gonna replace your dipstick, I hope you do a better job than PRM - trying to judge the level of clean, clear oil level on my PRM150 shiny steel dipstick is a bloomin' nightmare! 

laid against a piece of kitchen roll, the oil level is obvious.

8 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

laid against a piece of kitchen roll, the oil level is obvious.

You'd think, wouldn't you. I think the damned thing most have a special oil repellent coating, cos it leaves barely a mark and certainly not usually enough to be definitive. It is how I do it, but it seems to take an inordinate number of attempts before I'm sure the level is right. I'll bet I'm not alone in this view as the PRM150 is not an uncommon gearbox.

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

You'd think, wouldn't you. I think the damned thing most have a special oil repellent coating, cos it leaves barely a mark and certainly not usually enough to be definitive. It is how I do it, but it seems to take an inordinate number of attempts before I'm sure the level is right. I'll bet I'm not alone in this view as the PRM150 is not an uncommon gearbox.

Not only the 150, my prm 260 box dipstick is the same, can't see the oil on it either.

Bazza

I made up a dipstick out of a black cable tie, as it is easier to see the oil level against black plastic. 

Also gets round the fact that the correct level is with the dipstick unscrewed, not screwed in, which has been known to cause confusion on this forum.

6 minutes ago, mross said:

Sorry, I have a PRM150 which may differ to the160 and IIRC the manual states that the oil should be between min and max marks with the dipstick unscrewed. This was also confirmed to me by the RCR engineer who gave me my 121 training.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

One of the might work better than a magnet.  The magnet will stick to the casing and some of the internals.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=picker+upper&client=ms-android-wileyfox&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjn961_9jUAhVMB8AKHfBVAqUQ_AUICigC&biw=360&bih=512#tbm=isch&q=pickup+tool&imgrc=5jdKHYvHRtFgPM:

31 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Sorry, I have a PRM150 which may differ to the160 and IIRC the manual states that the oil should be between min and max marks with the dipstick unscrewed. This was also confirmed to me by the RCR engineer who gave me my 121 training.

I think your recollection is off!  See earlier thread.  

Even the user manual states that the dipstick should be screwed down!  See para 6.1 on page 18.

http://www.prm-newage.com/media/uploads/5050834c6f7e0.pdf

Edited by mross

6 minutes ago, mross said:

I think your recollection is off!  See earlier thread.  

Yes, thinking about it the RCR engineer said if you don't screw it in the lower mark corresponds with the top mark,  so don't screw it in and then fill to the lower mark.

On 24/06/2017 at 14:35, Sea Dog said:

If your gonna replace your dipstick, I hope you do a better job than PRM - trying to judge the level of clean, clear oil level on my PRM150 shiny steel dipstick is a bloomin' nightmare! 

RCR man told me to roll the dipstick gently on the back of my hand. When I did that it was much more obvious where the level was than when I did it on a bit of bog roll.

Thanks for help and hints, tho it did go a little off topic! Lol... Will make a new dipstick myself as I'm not spending 30 quid and both sites selling them say they're out of stock.... Still fishing for old one tho.

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

Thanks for that confirmation - I can never remember!

See my later post,  where I remembered that the RCR engineer told me that the level should be checked with the dipstick screwed in, but the difference between the high and low marks is the same as the length of the thread. So unscrew the dipstick and fill to the lower mark to get the correct level.

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

See my later post,  where I remembered that the RCR engineer told me that the level should be checked with the dipstick screwed in, but the difference between the high and low marks is the same as the length of the thread. So unscrew the dipstick and fill to the lower mark to get the correct level.

Yes, that's basically the conclusion I came to last Saturday. If you can see oil,but there obviously isn't too much, all is well!