Transporting Advice

Parvis

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Myself and my partner are purchasing a Widebeam aka A Fat Boat and we are seeking some advice regarding the quest we have ahead.

Its currently based near Splatt bridge and the aim is to get it to Watford where we will be starting our journey.

Understandably if it had a more slender waist line we could crusie it back over the course of several weeks but as it stand it would be a bit of a tight squeeze :)

Not having the confidence We have spoke to some pilots who were not only exceptionally helpful and friendly (something we are discovering more every day) but have suggested the route by water to get to where we need to go, portishead > Bristol > Bristol > Bath > Reading

We were interested if perhaps by land would be another good option and if so would anyone be able to recommend any individuals or companies that could do this. The cost for craning from P & A marina is £492 as it currently stands.

many thanks in advance. 

Edited by Parvis

Start with A.B. Tuckey and work outwards from there. They are the first name that springs to mind when boat transport by road is mentioned, a very experienced firm. I have never personally used them, but have heard good reports from those who have.

I used 'Tuckey' about 6 years ago, everything was on plan, and no damage.  Make sure you know the weight and dimensions of the boat as there is no standard width for a fat boat and a very wide boat may have road access problems.  But Tuckey will know far more than me, so give them a call.

4 hours ago, Parvis said:

Hi All,

Myself and my partner are purchasing a Widebeam aka A Fat Boat and we are seeking some advice regarding the quest we have ahead.

Its currently based near Splatt bridge and the aim is to get it to Watford where we will be starting our journey.

Understandably if it had a more slender waist line we could crusie it back over the course of several weeks but as it stand it would be a bit of a tight squeeze :)

Not having the confidence We have spoke to some pilots who were not only exceptionally helpful and friendly (something we are discovering more every day) but have suggested the route by water to get to where we need to go, portishead > Bristol > Bristol > Bath > Reading

We were interested if perhaps by land would be another good option and if so would anyone be able to recommend any individuals or companies that could do this. The cost for craning from P & A marina is £492 as it currently stands.

many thanks in advance. 

Ray Bowern is your man. Absolute straight John Bull and you will not beat him on either service or price. He will get back to you first time you ring him and sort the whole shebang.

Tuckey did the lift here the other day, I am a johnathon Wilsons and I can assure you they did a great job at this end, however Jonny was trying others due to cost! but in the end the customer was paying and wanted it done straight away so he paid the bill which Jonny thought was a bit steep

Tuckey's transported our widebeam from Warwickshire down to Bradford on Avon. Very professional and not a mark on the boat. Cost was negotiated via the boat builder, and was very reasonable.

Tuckeys moved my boat from Leamington Spa down to Bristol. It's 50' x 12' and they laughed when I asked how long it would take, saying "What! This tiddly little thing? Two and a half hours." I realised I wasn't going to stop for breakfast as planned. Absolutely no complaints about the service, it was first class.

However, I had no choice but to go by road. My boat builder was landlocked, I had no engine and an open stern tube. I believe boats are for floating and plenty of people have made the journey down from Sharpness to Portishead with a pilot on board. Had that been an option for me, it would have been seriously considered.

10 hours ago, Parvis said:

Hi All,

many thanks in advance. 

Are you sure your boat wouldn't fit by water? The maximum beam for the K&A is 13' 8" according to the IWA here:

https://www.waterways.org.uk/waterways/canals_rivers/kennet_avon_canal/kennet_avon_canal

The Thames from Reading to Brentford has loads of room of course, and my guess would be that the GU up as far as Watford would happily take a 13' 8" boat (some bridges on the GU up towards the Birmingham end would not).

18 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ray Bowern is your man. Absolute straight John Bull and you will not beat him on either service or price. He will get back to you first time you ring him and sort the whole shebang.

Agreed. He may even use Tuckeys for cranage but he will get you a better price than going direct. 

Edited by blackrose

12 hours ago, Peter X said:

Are you sure your boat wouldn't fit by water? The maximum beam for the K&A is 13' 8" according to the IWA here:

https://www.waterways.org.uk/waterways/canals_rivers/kennet_avon_canal/kennet_avon_canal

The Thames from Reading to Brentford has loads of room of course, and my guess would be that the GU up as far as Watford would happily take a 13' 8" boat (some bridges on the GU up towards the Birmingham end would not).

Yes, I took my 12ft wide boat all the way from Laleham (near Staines) on the Thames to Stratford upon Avon via Reading, the K&A, Bristol, Portishead, Sharpness and the G&S. Never had any problems. So if you have a few weeks to spare book yourself a pilot and enjoy the trip. Just make sure the boat is properly prepared for the Sharpness to Portishead/Bristol part of the trip.

http://www.gloucesterpilots.co.uk/services/leisure/   

Thanks for all the replies and advice :) 

The problem we are faced with is that myself and my partner are currently not in a position to take extended periods of time off together. Which means one of us has lots of fun the other not so much.

So After some planning we are going to cruise to Evesham where we shall meet Ray (not many left like him) and head to Watford. 

Off to take the boat out on Saturday then meeting Robin the surveyor on Tuesday so he can see it in the water etc before dry docking her the following weekend. 

Edited by Parvis