LED downlights to replace old units

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

We are now working through our long list of things to do to our new 'old' NB. Next on the list is to find some LED light fittings to replace the old bulb ones on the ceiling. Done a search here but most posts older than a year old ....and things have moved on. Research shows I should be looking for ones that can withstand 9-30v and each needs to be separately switched. Also it would be useful to get a flush mounted unit so that I dont have to spend too long fitting them. Not on the boat at the moment but I think I need around 14 light units.

A search of the internet didnt produce too much:

http://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-led-spotlight-with-touch-switch.html#.WUzXDsm1u8U

Force 4 are selling this one which seems ideal but not at £38 a pop (for 14 units??)

Midland are selling this one

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1347/product/vl-432.aspx

but it is rated 9-15v and requires a cut out. Is the voltage range sufficient? I am sure I will up near 15v some of the time - even when the lights are on. The recess makes it look like a bit of work.

Bedazzled seem to have a range of lights but these dont seem to be individually switched.

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/Light_Fittings.htm

Any good suggestions from you all on what has worked for you? I would like to spend less than £20 per fitting. If you have fitted them, how easy were they to fit?

They look like caravan type reading lamps to me...you could replace them like for like, and just fit led bulbs to them. Or even renovate the ones you already have.

Led bulbs of all types are readily available everywhere. I used eBay but there are UK suppliers if you want advice about fitting led replacement bulbs. 

Opinions vary, but my cheap Chinese bulbs have been fine for a few years now , 

Just replace the bulb with an LED - straight 'swap' no drilling or re-wiring to do.
I used these folks (take about 3-4 weeks delivery) but at around £1 per bulb - depending on type (inc delivery) its worth the wait.

http://www.miniinthebox.com/led-light-bulbs_c3115?prm=2.3.54.0

Just remember to specify either 'cool' white, or 'warm white.

War white is a yellowy colour and I find it difficult to read with - Cool white is a hard 'bright' light and better suited for above work tops, reading etc.

Or, mix and match if they are switched individually.

LED 'brightness' is approximately 10x that of standard bulbs (again a generalisation and depends on type) so a 3 watt LED is SIMILAR in output to a 30 watt standard bulb.

For example : I used 3.5w LED 'spotlight' cool-white bulbs in the bedroom reading lights, and 'warm white' 1w in the general ceiling mounted overhead lights.

4 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

They look like caravan type reading lamps to me...you could replace them like for like, and just fit led bulbs to them. Or even renovate the ones you already have.

Led bulbs of all types are readily available everywhere. I used eBay but there are UK suppliers if you want advice about fitting led replacement bulbs. 

Opinions vary, but my cheap Chinese bulbs have been fine for a few years now , 

Yes I had thought of just changing the bulb. I need to check which type of bulb it is but think it is a screw thread. The fittings though look very dated and are all covered with paint where the previous owner painted the ceiling. It will take me hours just to strip the paint off them. Thanks also Dave & Alan for the links if I do go for bulbs. In the house I have changed all my GU10s for chinese LEDs and they are lasting very well.

1 hour ago, Richard T said:

I ahve used Aten as a source of light fittings and replacement bulbs. They have given me excellent service. https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/

Thanks Richard. Aten's fittings look interesting with a switchable one at <£15 with a good voltage range. I need to be able to go and see one so will try that when we get the boat to Napton (and use of  the car) next weekend. Have you used any of their fittings? Unfortunately it looks like their only swiched fittings are recessed ones which will mean cutting the right size hole (14 times) rather than just surface mounting it over the existing hole.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks Richard. Aten's fittings look interesting with a switchable one at <£15 with a good voltage range. I need to be able to go and see one so will try that when we get the boat to Napton (and use of  the car) next weekend. Have you used any of their fittings? Unfortunately it looks like their only swiched fittings are recessed ones which will mean cutting the right size hole (14 times) rather than just surface mounting it over the existing hole.

The only fitting of theirs we have used are a couple of linear LED strips. I used their lamps when converting existing fittings. We have used these spots as reading lights from Midland Chandlers https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1347/product/vl-402.aspx

They have proved to be very good.

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We are now working through our long list of things to do to our new 'old' NB. Next on the list is to find some LED light fittings to replace the old bulb ones on the ceiling. Done a search here but most posts older than a year old ....and things have moved on. Research shows I should be looking for ones that can withstand 9-30v and each needs to be separately switched. Also it would be useful to get a flush mounted unit so that I dont have to spend too long fitting them. Not on the boat at the moment but I think I need around 14 light units.

A search of the internet didnt produce too much:

http://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-led-spotlight-with-touch-switch.html#.WUzXDsm1u8U

Force 4 are selling this one which seems ideal but not at £38 a pop (for 14 units??)

Midland are selling this one

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1347/product/vl-432.aspx

but it is rated 9-15v and requires a cut out. Is the voltage range sufficient? I am sure I will up near 15v some of the time - even when the lights are on. The recess makes it look like a bit of work.

Bedazzled seem to have a range of lights but these dont seem to be individually switched.

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/Light_Fittings.htm

Any good suggestions from you all on what has worked for you? I would like to spend less than £20 per fitting. If you have fitted them, how easy were they to fit?

I'm currently (oops) investigating a constant current downlighter. The downlighters that are intended for 230V systems seem to much better build quality. I'm going to do some experiments soon with one of these;

EN-PL06B/30  6W Low Profile LED Downlight, 3000K

which take 300mA at 18-30V 

together with one of these

6-35V to 1-35V DC/DC Buck/Boost Charger Power C...

and one of these;

Constant Current LED Driver Adjustable Lithiumi...

basically it's taken quite a time to get hold of the luminaire and find out it's ratings (despite it being written on the unit, no listing had it) so I've just ordered the constant current stage. 

It should be dimmable, the luminaire looks great. But there may be excessive RF in the two power supplies.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Use Bedazzled's bulb finder to identify which type of bulb you have. Most are direct replacements, but some need an adaptor as well.

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/12v_LED_Bulb_Replacement.htm

Replaced all of our halogen lights with LEDS from Bedazzled, they're voltage spike protected and are a good swap. Warm white works best. I spoke to the chap there for some advice before I ordered them, he was very helpful.

1 hour ago, cudnriach said:

Try Venta ILS34 touch switch units. 135 mm x 70mm surface mount.  web www.ventaauk.com 01962884444

Thanks for the link - but only one 'a' in it.

These look interesting but they only talk about 12v and dont mention what range of voltage - ie bedazzled talk about needing 10-30v capabiity to withstand spikes etc. Have you tried them?

I replaced a couple of old spotlights with bedazzled surface mounted units, and then put a switch in a small surface mounted plastic box. I think the third generation of lights over the cooker and sink. Not as tidy as it might be, but easy to find the switch in the dark.

dscf6552.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Another vote for seeing if Bedazzled have something suitable, rather than cheapo ebay LED's. Did my boat out in their downlighters nearly ten years ago and they are still going strong. Had one go bad in that time and need replacing. The technology has moved on a lot in that time, but it shows they knew their stuff with voltage spike protection and individual fusing.

No other connection with them than as a customer and all that stuff.

Jen

Another vote for aten good quality stuff. bedazzled i won't use due to the bollox they talk and I think they are expensive ( just my opinion) also miniinthebox as Alan said cheap and cheerful Chinese stuff but seems ok. 

Ive also used the midland swindlers 1w fitting for above the bed reading lights and they are super but very directional. 

10-15v will be fine for a 12v system the 10-30v for 'spikes' is technobabble it just means they can be used  on 24v systems too and that's why the spec is 10-30v 

A lot of guff about getting fuse protected, spike protected etc. If you have a decent 12V circuit with trips then you really don't need to pay more than £1 per light. I replaced all 31 of my halogens with cheap (from Amazon) LEDs they have all been up to 15V and they all still work (4 yrs later), no fires, no smoke.