torksey to goole

potato mick

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, potato mick said:

yes thats what i was thinking,seem to remember something not right about there.west stockwith lock keeper and torksey ,both saying leave torksey  7.30 ish.even at lowish water follow the channel,where there is 5 to 6 feet of water,slowly to keadby,then fingers crossed we have got there away we go. as a back up to that what time would you leave torksey to anchor up near trent falls,sunday 2nd july,hw hull 13.50,and hw goole. 14.41

We leave as soon as the tide starts running in.

Have a steady run to Gainsborough then once below the bridge open up the throttles all the way to Trent End.

Gives us plenty of time at anchor to have a bite to eat and chill out.

We then leave Trent End after the tide has run in for 15 to 20 minutes. 

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, potato mick said:

once waited at gainsborough en route to hull witth farndon boat club,most people are reluctant to stay there though not sure why,the dogs will need a couple of decent walks,so the boat would be left unattended,thats why i was thinking torksey,unless i can get my mate to stay on and not go to the pub,if i do gainsborough what time would i leave cromwell saturday,the same as i was for torksey,2.30pm,and what time wouldi leave gainsborogh sunday,7.45 am at six knots to keadby,(going to trent falls)

8 hours ago, potato mick said:

yes thats what i was thinking,seem to remember something not right about there.west stockwith lock keeper and torksey ,both saying leave torksey  7.30 ish.even at lowish water follow the channel,where there is 5 to 6 feet of water,slowly to keadby,then fingers crossed we have got there away we go. as a back up to that what time would you leave torksey to anchor up near trent falls,sunday 2nd july,hw hull 13.50,and hw goole. 14.41

The very early start - about 0330 out of Torksey Cut - suggested a few posts back as an alternative to giving Torksey a miss and tying up at Gainsborough on Saturday night was, along with the suggested arrival time for Goole, for the benefit of your two dogs to give them and you the best chance of avoiding a long spell waiting for the next tide if you do happen to ground anywhere - you would be covering almost the entire distance with a rising tide under you, and would be underway again in a matter of minutes if you did happen to ground anywhere.

In the event that you do eventually make up your mind about how to divide the journey up, then post your decision on here and I'll tell you what your departure times should be. If, however, you prefer to be guided by the people that CRT pass off as lock keepers nowadays at Stockwith and Torksey, then I suggest you include a shovel, a bucket, a mop and plenty of paper towels in your inventory of equipment to be carried over the forthcoming weekend.

41 minutes ago, PhilAtterley said:

The very early start - about 0330 out of Torksey Cut - suggested a few posts back as an alternative to giving Torksey a miss and tying up at Gainsborough on Saturday night was, along with the suggested arrival time for Goole, for the benefit of your two dogs to give them and you the best chance of avoiding a long spell waiting for the next tide if you do happen to ground anywhere - you would be covering almost the entire distance with a rising tide under you, and would be underway again in a matter of minutes if you did happen to ground anywhere.

In the event that you do eventually make up your mind about how to divide the journey up, then post your decision on here and I'll tell you what your departure times should be. If, however, you prefer to be guided by the people that CRT pass off as lock keepers nowadays at Stockwith and Torksey, then I suggest you include a shovel, a bucket, a mop and plenty of paper towels in your inventory of equipment to be carried over the forthcoming weekend.

back to your earlier post about leaving torksey,you said if i run aground i will have a wait of 12 hours,now a few minutes,both leaving torksey at 3.30am. i am confused  a lot.are you saying 7.30 from torksey is a no,if so do i leave at 3.30 and wait at gainsborough till 11.20 the reason i have not made a decision is i keep getting different advice,torksey is my preffered choice,west stockwith is a no.gainsborough if i have to after all the dogs are rottweiler and bullmastiff cross and would be a match for most chavs,also my friend and his missus have cofirmed they are coming so should be able to have someone on board all the time.and if anchoring at trent falls is easier thats what i will do,but dont want to go more than six hours max without the dogs been able to excercise ,what i would like is  to a plan if you have time ,i will be leaving hazleford lock at first pen saturday 1st 9.30 .cromwell said 2.30 was the best time to leave for torksey.now i am open to where i am staying,so over to you.one thing for sure if we ever meet i will get you a good drink for taking your time to try help me;i think a bit of marine education for me this winter

Cromwell at 14.30 pm on 1st July seems okay but could be between  13.30pm and probably 17.30 . I would go at 13.30 if there is plenty of fresh on . If not much fresh on go at 16.00.

On 2nd July my post #9 applies if you are going all the way to Goole.  Could leave it half an hour later from Gainsborough and go faster when you meet the tide.

Must phone Goole Ocean Lock the day before travel to book your pen up off the Ouse.

Edited by MartynG

22 hours ago, MartynG said:

Cromwell at 14.30 pm on 1st July seems okay but could be between  13.30pm and probably 17.30 . I would go at 13.30 if there is plenty of fresh on . If not much fresh on go at 16.00.

On 2nd July my post #9 applies if you are going all the way to Goole.  Could leave it half an hour later from Gainsborough and go faster when you meet the tide.

Must phone Goole Ocean Lock the day before travel to book your pen up off the Ouse.

cheers martyn,if no problems should be underway,by 13.30.from cromwell,sundays plans are different to all the suggestions on here,fits in perfect with the times i want,will reveal on monday,if i have arrived by then.lol. as i dont want the i told you so.peeps to be happy at my downfall,but a old friend is joining me sunday who on water i trust with my life.thank you all who contributed.much appreciated .mick

Not sure if we might be on the river at the same time - probably not as we will probably be  coming upstream from West Stockwith on Sunday and you will probably have already gone past . Our day/time depends how long they will let us stay at West Stockwith. Presently at Hull and expecting to depart at 11am. Flat calm at the moment !

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not sure if we might be on the river at the same time - probably not as we will probably be  coming upstream from West Stockwith on Sunday and you will probably have already gone past . Our day/time depends how long they will let us stay at West Stockwith. Presently at Hull and expecting to depart at 11am. Flat calm at the moment !

Planning your escape from Hull I see :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Planning your escape from Hull I see :rolleyes:

Hi there I was looking at staying at West Stockwith on Saturday but the lock does not open until Sunday afternoon not sure on this but I think the lock Keeper said 1:30 would be the first pen you certainly get a lot of use out of your boat that is the reason I am moving mine to be nearer to home thank you for all your input I hope to see you soon

The Humber has been as calm as I have ever seen it.

A very pleasant trip.  Quite a long wait to get in at West Stockwith. Now opening a bottle. The White Hart booked for dinner later.

29 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The Humber has been as calm as I have ever seen it.

A very pleasant trip.  Quite a long wait to get in at West Stockwith. Now opening a bottle. The White Hart booked for dinner later.

I remember going out on the Humber many years ago in the early evening, the river was as flat as a sheet of glass absolutely no movement at all it was quite spooky.

On 28/06/2017 at 23:33, MartynG said:

thank you martyn,

as usual for me nothing goes to plan,i was leaving home friday 4pm to drive to the boat ,and at 7am,my mate phoned to say he could not make it.so just me and the dogs,left hazleford lock later than planned.about 10.15 saturday,walked the dogs at cromwell.then left at 1.40.ariving at torksey.around 4pm,spent the night at the pub,where i was joined by a old friend and his wife,and we left torksey,on very low water at 10.20 am today,stopped at gainsborough for breakfast,and left around12.25 on the last of the ebbing tide,soon after we was on the plane,only slowing at west stockwith and keadby,locks,arriving at goole docks,at 1.58,then  a hour and half up to south yorkshire boat club,no problems at all.lucky for me my friend knows this river so well.

14 hours ago, potato mick said:

as usual for me nothing goes to plan,i was leaving home friday 4pm to drive to the boat ,and at 7am,my mate phoned to say he could not make it.so just me and the dogs,left hazleford lock later than planned.about 10.15 saturday,walked the dogs at cromwell.then left at 1.40.ariving at torksey.around 4pm,spent the night at the pub,where i was joined by a old friend and his wife,and we left torksey,on very low water at 10.20 am today,stopped at gainsborough for breakfast,and left around12.25 on the last of the ebbing tide,soon after we was on the plane,only slowing at west stockwith and keadby,locks,arriving at goole docks,at 1.58,then  a hour and half up to south yorkshire boat club,no problems at all.lucky for me my friend knows this river so well.

I always find getting my narrowboat on the plane quite a chore :D

On 02/07/2017 at 21:40, potato mick said:

You must have passed us when we were in West Stockwith !

Glad you completed the journey without any issues.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

You must have passed us when we were in West Stockwith !

Glad you completed the journey without any issues.

Cheers martyn.had the boat six months first proper blast.loved it .hull weekend after next