torksey to goole

potato mick

Featured Posts

hi all.new to this site,i am looking to move my boat,from near hazleford lock,on the trent to south yorkshire boat club,on the aire and calder.i am looking at 1st july..hazleford to torksey,then overnight,then sunday 2 july,torksey to goole,my question is can it be done in one go,i dont want to anchor up at trent falls,never been on the ouse before,high water at goole is 14.55,i have 3 feet draught,,i am a twin diesel cruiser flat out around 36 knots,tanks are full about 400 litres so not bothered about economy more of a time thing,been out of boating for seven years,till last year not been past cromwell lock for 8 years, have the tba chart for the trent,any sensible answers appreciated

If we are doing Torksey to Goole we tend to leave Torksey a couple of hours before high water and punch the tide and dawdle down to Gainsborough at 6 knots. Once below Gainsborough we open the throttles and give her a good blast to Trent End before anchoring up for lunch to wait for the incoming tide. We let the tide run in for 20 minutes before lifting anchor and heading round to Goole on the plane again.

I know you have stated that you don't want to anchor at Trent Falls but it really is a nice spot to spend an afternoon waiting for the tide into Goole.

The free hours for penning in at Goole are 3 hours before high water to 1.5 hours after high water. 

In recent years they now insist that leisure craft rope up in the lock behind a yellow line they have painted in the wall. This means that you have to lock through when they have a linesman on duty which is now only during the free locking hours which reduces the time leisure boats can use the lock.

Don't forget to inform them well before your planned arrival so that they can let you know the best time to arrive to avoid the shipping movements. Radio them on CH14 as soon as you are close enough for them to receive your signal and they will have the lock ready for you.

8 hours ago, Mr Norman said:

Does your air draft prevent you using the Keadby & Stainforth, South Yorkshire Navigation and onto the Aire & Calder??

No but there is a possibility I may be on my own apart from two dogs hence the reason to get there as quick as possible

37 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If we are doing Torksey to Goole we tend to leave Torksey a couple of hours before high water and punch the tide and dawdle down to Gainsborough at 6 knots. Once below Gainsborough we open the throttles and give her a good blast to Trent End before anchoring up for lunch to wait for the incoming tide. We let the tide run in for 20 minutes before lifting anchor and heading round to Goole on the plane again.

I know you have stated that you don't want to anchor at Trent Falls but it really is a nice spot to spend an afternoon waiting for the tide into Goole.

The free hours for penning in at Goole are 3 hours before high water to 1.5 hours after high water. 

In recent years they now insist that leisure craft rope up in the lock behind a yellow line they have painted in the wall. This means that you have to lock through when they have a linesman on duty which is now only during the free locking hours which reduces the time leisure boats can use the lock.

Don't forget to inform them well before your planned arrival so that they can let you know the best time to arrive to avoid the shipping movements. Radio them on CH14 as soon as you are close enough for them to receive your signal and they will have the lock ready for you.

Thank you for the detailed reply the reason I don't want to Anchor up at Trent end is I will have to dogs with me that is the reason I want to get there as quick as possible but if that is the only option looks like I will have to do that never been through keadby but there is a possibility I will be on my own so don't fancy doing the Bridges and locks

25 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

According to the ABP Humber bylaws you need at least two persons onboard.

I would ring up and check with Ocean Lock that they will be happy for you to go through single handed. 

I am aware of the bylaws and I am about 90% sure I will have crew just planning if anything goes wrong apparently ocean lock will let you in as it would be a danger to leave you out but they will not let you out onto the ouse single handed. Back to the earlier reply if I left Torksey to Gainsborough at 6 knots if I were to come up steady away say 8 to 10 knots would I not be able to do that trip in one go

You could run down on the ebb and meet the incoming tide just before Trent End. 

It will get shallow though as you get in the lower reaches so you will need to strictly follow the channel.

The other option which many use is waiting for the tide at Gainsborough on the pontoon. We don't use this method though so can't comment on timings.

Just one note if your boat is as you say capable of 36 knots running at 10 knots will be a very uneconomical speed to run at and you will use loads of unnecessary fuel. It wants to be on the plane or in full displacement mode under about 6 knots. Not inbetween. 

On 2 July Go from Torksey at the crack of dawn - as early as you can.

Wait at Gainsborough on the pontoon.

Depart from Gainsborough  at 2.5Hrs before HW Hull and you will meet the tide on the way down the Trent.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Depart from Gainsborough  at 2.5Hrs before HW Hull and you will meet the tide on the way down the Trent.

Hi and thank you martyn.

As you have probably gathered I am a bit rubbish at working this out on leaving Gainsborough what average speed do you recommend  I think between 25 and 27 knots is her cruising speed under normal conditions. I thinkcrack of dawn is around about 4:30 a.m. so guessing arriveat  Gainsborough around 6 a.m. sticking to the speed limit

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

This advice from MartynG is spot-on, but with the low water levels in the Trent at the moment and you on the move one day after the first quarter of the Moon (half moon), with the tides down virtually at the bottom of this lot of Neaps, there is need for great care at a few of the shallowest places and opportunities for up to a 12 hour delay waiting for the next tide if you manage to 'park' the boat on any one of the worst of the shallows between Torksey and Gainsborough at round about local High Water.

The graphs that Simon (Scholar Gypsy) has posted aren't too far off for 'average' conditions, if there is such a thing, of non-tidal run-off from the upper reaches, but with the minimal run-off there is at the moment all the local HW's, especially upriver  of Gainsborough, are likely to be a good bit earlier than predicted. Getting underway out of Torksey Cut by the time there's beginning to be enough light to see a bit, around 0330 on 2 July, will get you over Castle (Shoal) and down Marton Rack on the last of the Flood and before local HW there, but you will find it starting to ebb, accompanied by the rapid initial drop in level of about a foot, by the time you get somewhere between the low end of Knaith Rack and Cheese House, which is where you need to be very careful to keep to the deepest water, or be prepared to spend the best part of the next 12 hours admiring Sturton Pumping Station and the local scenery.

From what I've heard about the Trent charts you've got, they were quite good if followed carefully, but we're now coming up to the fourth anniversary of the end of the sand and gravel traffic from Besthorpe (July 2013) and not having been down there since then I don't know if the total lack of regular boats (drawing up to 8') for so long now has made much  difference to the least depths and the position of the deepwater channel above Gainsborough. You might be better off giving Torksey a miss altogether and going straight to Gainsborough from Hazelford on the first day. 

The Ouse is a very different river from the Trent, and there are some things that need watching out for if you are new to it, but you have picked a time, almost the smallest of this set of Neaps, when the river's at it's easiest and, like the Trent up as far as Gunness/Keadby, generally devoid of any shipping on the move because of the limited depths. ABP do large scale charts for the Trent from Keadby to Apex Light/Trent End, and the Ouse from Trent End/Apex Light to just short of Hook Railway Bridge which you can print off from their online Chartviewer. You should really have all of them with you, and you'll find a decent pair of binoculars a godsend for identifying the lights, marks and numbered piles (these latter on the Ouse only) where the channel crosses over from one shore to the other. Aim to get to Goole sometime between half an hour to an hour after predicted (Goole) HW.

Edited by PhilAtterley

8 hours ago, PhilAtterley said:

This advice from MartynG is spot-on, but with the low water levels in the Trent at the moment and you on the move one day after the first quarter of the Moon (half moon), with the tides down virtually at the bottom of this lot of Neaps, there is need for great care at a few of the shallowest places and opportunities for up to a 12 hour delay waiting for the next tide if you manage to 'park' the boat on any one of the worst of the shallows between Torksey and Gainsborough at round about local High Water.

The graphs that Simon (Scholar Gypsy) has posted aren't too far off for 'average' conditions, if there is such a thing, of non-tidal run-off from the upper reaches, but with the minimal run-off there is at the moment all the local HW's, especially upriver  of Gainsborough, are likely to be a good bit earlier than predicted. Getting underway out of Torksey Cut by the time there's beginning to be enough light to see a bit, around 0330 on 2 July, will get you over Castle (Shoal) and down Marton Rack on the last of the Flood and before local HW there, but you will find it starting to ebb, accompanied by the rapid initial drop in level of about a foot, by the time you get somewhere between the low end of Knaith Rack and Cheese House, which is where you need to be very careful to keep to the deepest water, or be prepared to spend the best part of the next 12 hours admiring Sturton Pumping Station and the local scenery.

From what I've heard about the Trent charts you've got, they were quite good if followed carefully, but we're now coming up to the fourth anniversary of the end of the sand and gravel traffic from Besthorpe (July 2013) and not having been down there since then I don't know if the total lack of regular boats (drawing up to 8') for so long now has made much  difference to the least depths and the position of the deepwater channel above Gainsborough. You might be better off giving Torksey a miss altogether and going straight to Gainsborough from Hazelford on the first day. 

The Ouse is a very different river from the Trent, and there are some things that need watching out for if you are new to it, but you have picked a time, almost the smallest of this set of Neaps, when the river's at it's easiest and, like the Trent up as far as Gunness/Keadby, generally devoid of any shipping on the move because of the limited depths. ABP do large scale charts for the Trent from Keadby to Apex Light/Trent End, and the Ouse from Trent End/Apex Light to just short of Hook Railway Bridge which you can print off from their online Chartviewer. You should really have all of them with you, and you'll find a decent pair of binoculars a godsend for identifying the lights, marks and numbered piles (these latter on the Ouse only) where the channel crosses over from one shore to the other. Aim to get to Goole sometime between half an hour to an hour after predicted (Goole) HW.

thank you phil for spending.your time researching my trip,lots of valuable information for me there.not sure my two large dogs would be too happy waiting 12 hours,if i make any errors,it may have to be via keadby then,again a first for me,now the next question if i leave cromwell on saturday 1st july,can i do keadby non stop,or more likely if i leave torksey sunday the 2nd july can i reach keadby non stop,apparantly i have a further 4 to 5 hours ,from keadby,to heck basin

Torksey to Gainsborough - yes an hour and a half at 6 knots. Fishermen and narrowboats may well slow your pace as they did for mr today - presently on the pontoon at Gainsborough.

Setting off from Gainsborough. Be prepared to  go steady at first due to debris on the river and speed up later. 

I have done 23 knots below Gainsborough and would not attempt faster until below Keadby . 10 knots around the sharper bends. 5 knots passing West Stockwith .  Below Keadby perhaps go a bit faster.

22 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Torksey to Gainsborough - yes an hour and a half at 6 knots. Fishermen and narrowboats may well slow your pace as they did for mr today - presently on the pontoon at Gainsborough.

Setting off from Gainsborough. Be prepared to  go steady at first due to debris on the river and speed up later. 

I have done 23 knots below Gainsborough and would not attempt faster until below Keadby . 10 knots around the sharper bends. 5 knots passing West Stockwith .  Below Keadby perhaps go a bit faster.

Just now, potato mick said:

having spoke with the lock keepers,i plan to leave cromwell saturday around 2.30pm,stay overnight at torksey leave around 7.30 am on sunday,to arrive at keadby,11.30 1145ish, and go via keadby lock.going to have to put a chasity belt on the throttles though ,four hours at 6 knots will be frustrating

4 hours ago, potato mick said:

thank you phil for spending.your time researching my trip,lots of valuable information for me there.not sure my two large dogs would be too happy waiting 12 hours,if i make any errors,it may have to be via keadby then,again a first for me,now the next question if i leave cromwell on saturday 1st july,can i do keadby non stop,or more likely if i leave torksey sunday the 2nd july can i reach keadby non stop,apparantly i have a further 4 to 5 hours ,from keadby,to heck basin

Getting off the Trent at Keadby and going through the canal won't help you to avoid the possibility of grounding somewhere on the top of the tide (local HW) and then having a 12 hour wait -- you will still have to contend with finding your way past all of the same ''most likely'' places to ground in getting to Keadby anyway, which starting from Cromwell are : - Carlton Ferry, Spring Head (ness), Milking Boat, Girton Stakes (ness), Normanton Island, Fledborough (Scotchman's) Shoal, Dunham Rack, Pinfold, Maltkilns, Castle, Marton Rack, and low end of Knaith Rack (ness) to Cheese House. 

Edit to add :

I've just seen your above post - as I've said, there's no point in doing that and nothing to be gained, plus, with all the now unmanned swing and lift bridges along Keadby Cut and the New Junction, there's no way you'll make it from Keadby to Heck in 4 to 5 hours , more like double that time would be a better estimate.

Edited by PhilAtterley

1 hour ago, potato mick said:

having spoke with the lock keepers,i plan to leave cromwell saturday around 2.30pm,stay overnight at torksey leave around 7.30 am on sunday,to arrive at keadby,11.30 1145ish, and go via keadby lock.going to have to put a chasity belt on the throttles though ,four hours at 6 knots will be frustrating

If you manage to get to Keadby at that time on Sunday 2 July, having left Torksey about two and a half hours into the Ebb, then provided you don't ground anywhere between there and Gainsborough, the Flood will have been running up for a short while at Keadby and you will be 18 miles away from Goole with a rising tide under you all the way - why even think about going through the canal ? - there's no point !

Edited by PhilAtterley

3 hours ago, PhilAtterley said:

If you manage to get to Keadby at that time on Sunday 2 July, having left Torksey about two and a half hours into the Ebb, then provided you don't ground anywhere between there and Gainsborough, the Flood will have been running up for a short while at Keadby and you will be 18 miles away from Goole with a rising tide under you all the way - why even think about going through the canal ? - there's no point !

having spoke to someone today,plans are back to route one.so herewe go.leave torksey sunday,2nd 6.30am at a steady 6/7 knots,arrive keadby around 10 am,then there should be enough water to bomb on to the apex,then a steady 6/7 knots up to goole .how does this sound to you.

1 hour ago, potato mick said:

having spoke to someone today,plans are back to route one.so herewe go.leave torksey sunday,2nd 6.30am at a steady 6/7 knots,arrive keadby around 10 am,then there should be enough water to bomb on to the apex,then a steady 6/7 knots up to goole . . . how does this sound to you.

Not ideal. You will be too late between Torksey and Gainsborough to have the best chance of not grounding along that 10 mile length of river, and too early at Keadby to be sure of enough depth to clear Keadby Low Bar - mainly because you will be reluctant to get close enough to the stoned bank along the Western shore in the vicinity of Bar Light, where the best depth is usually around 40'-50' away from the stones at LW.  

Your best bet, and the easiest option is, as I suggested earlier, forget about Torksey and make for Gainsborough on Saturday.

once waited at gainsborough en route to hull witth farndon boat club,most people are reluctant to stay there though not sure why,the dogs will need a couple of decent walks,so the boat would be left unattended,thats why i was thinking torksey,unless i can get my mate to stay on and not go to the pub,if i do gainsborough what time would i leave cromwell saturday,the same as i was for torksey,2.30pm,and what time wouldi leave gainsborogh sunday,7.45 am at six knots to keadby,(going to trent falls)

10 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I gather the bore/aegir can be quite exciting at Gainsborough, on some tides ... That may explain some caution re mooring there.

The problem at Gainsborough is the local yoof who think it is funny to tamper with the ropes of moored boats.

Not a problem if there are several boats about but not ideal if you are on your own and need to leave the boat unattended.

• Greenie 1

yes thats what i was thinking,seem to remember something not right about there.west stockwith lock keeper and torksey ,both saying leave torksey  7.30 ish.even at lowish water follow the channel,where there is 5 to 6 feet of water,slowly to keadby,then fingers crossed we have got there away we go. as a back up to that what time would you leave torksey to anchor up near trent falls,sunday 2nd july,hw hull 13.50,and hw goole. 14.41

• Greenie 1