Controversial widebeam continuous cruiser

Peppers

Featured Posts

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Will you be removing that 'orrible toilet and putting a proper one (cassette) in ?

Eeeek - can someone help me with this bit - what's the difference? 

50 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Way overpriced for what it is and the low level of kit on it and finish. Perhaps a chancer that will except its true value if offered?

What do you think a more sensible price might be for it? I have no idea about kit levels so this is what I was worried about!

2 minutes ago, Peppers said:

Eeeek - can someone help me with this bit - what's the difference? 

What do you think a more sensible price might be for it? I have no idea about kit levels so this is what I was worried about!

At that kind of money I would at least have expected a finished boat with a coat of gloss etc. You musnt underestimate the time and cost involved in finishing that boat. It has sterling inverter etc which are the cheap end of the market and its a budget boatbuilders shell which are fine but when you stack it all up its not the best boat out there. I too am suspicious re the lack of interior photos. Without actualy seeing it in the flesh so to speak its impossible to value. I sold my albeit smaller and slightly older widebeam with a better finish than that for 30k less than his asking price just over two years ago and with better kit on it. Stupidly enough boats in and around London often fetch way more money than similar say oop norf on the Trent when in reality moving them from up to down is a days job and not realy huge amounts of money by road. As a for instance my mate moved his barge from Nottingham onto the Thames all in for less than 3k.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

At that kind of money I would at least have expected a finished boat with a coat of gloss etc. You musnt underestimate the time and cost involved in finishing that boat. It has sterling inverter etc which are the cheap end of the market and its a budget boatbuilders shell which are fine but when you stack it all up its not the best boat out there. I too am suspicious re the lack of interior photos. Without actualy seeing it in the flesh so to speak its impossible to value. I sold my albeit smaller and slightly older widebeam with a better finish than that for 30k less than his asking price just over two years ago and with better kit on it. Stupidly enough boats in and around London often fetch way more money than similar say oop norf on the Trent when in reality moving them from up to down is a days job and not realy huge amounts of money by road. As a for instance my mate moved his barge from Nottingham onto the Thames all in for less than 3k.

All the widebeams for sale on apollo duck are so expensive!! I'm more than happy to purchase from outside London and move it down, but this was one of the cheapest I've actually seen! Is there somewhere to look that I'm missing?

22 minutes ago, Peppers said:

All the widebeams for sale on apollo duck are so expensive!! I'm more than happy to purchase from outside London and move it down, but this was one of the cheapest I've actually seen! Is there somewhere to look that I'm missing?

mmm thats not an easy one. I bought my widebeam from the duck but offered him about twenty k less than he was asking as he had it for sale for ages and it was simply too much. I also looked at it and offered him the money ten minutes later so no messing at all. When I sold it I brokered it Thro Dominic at Rugby boat sales and he had me a cash buyer in days in fact two cash buyers that wanted it because I sold it for a sensible price. Boats are selling well at the moment but if you have cash at your disposal then you are still King.

I have sent you a pm.

Edited by mrsmelly

I don't know much about widebeams,but that one you linked to looks reasonable compared to some others advertised. Certainly worth a look surely or at the very least a request for more photos 

Edited by rusty69

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

mmm thats not an easy one. I bought my widebeam from the duck but offered him about twenty k less than he was asking as he had it for sale for ages and it was simply too much. I also looked at it and offered him the money ten minutes later so no messing at all. When I sold it I brokered it Thro Dominic at Rugby boat sales and he had me a cash buyer in days in fact two cash buyers that wanted it because I sold it for a sensible price. Boats are selling well at the moment but if you have cash at your disposal then you are still King.

Oh well I'll certainly try that! I'm a cash buyer in a very flexible position so I'm pretty happy to call myself King! I'll take a look at Rugby Boat Sales also

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I don't know much about widebeams,but that one you linked to looks reasonable compared to some others advertised. Certainly worth a look surely or at the very least a request for more photos 

I've been to see it already and it seems like a nice boat. Open layout, plenty of opportunity to put our own mark on it  - but I'm a bit like someone who says I only like black cars - it's my technical knowledge that fails me - I don't know what toilet or inverter etc etc we should be going for, and while we have some money to paint it and put bits in like a hob, I just don't want to buy a dud. 

1 minute ago, Peppers said:

I just don't want to buy a dud. 

Its not a dud by any means, but comparing to cars, its more of a Ford Fiesta (or maybe a Lada) than it is a BMW, & its no where near a Jaguar.

Very difficult to put a price on it without at least seeing pictures to see the standard of the fit-out. It was built by, and fitted out by, an 'economy builder' so I wouldn't expect much in the way of 'proper wood' or mitred joints.

3 years old and 1200 hours on the engine - its been well used - wonder why they never painted it ?

Take off the 'rose tinted specs' and look to criticise everything - can you live with the door that doesn't close properly ? When you lie in the bath does the fact the grout lines on the tiles don't line up irritate you, etc etc.

You are spending a lot of money (too much !!!) so you want to make sure its the right one.

There will be compromises, there will be 'buyers remorse' you just need to minimise them.

7 minutes ago, Peppers said:

Oh well I'll certainly try that! I'm a cash buyer in a very flexible position so I'm pretty happy to call myself King! I'll take a look at Rugby Boat Sales also

I've been to see it already and it seems like a nice boat. Open layout, plenty of opportunity to put our own mark on it  - but I'm a bit like someone who says I only like black cars - it's my technical knowledge that fails me - I don't know what toilet or inverter etc etc we should be going for, and while we have some money to paint it and put bits in like a hob, I just don't want to buy a dud. 

Loads of info on the forum re toilets, batteries, inverters etc. A good surveyor should prevent you buying a dud. 

7 minutes ago, Peppers said:

Rugby boat sales is supposed to not be as good anymore as in the Dominic days, but probably still worth a try.

The boat of the link doesn't look bad, OK it's made by a budget builder but it's there and ready to start doing to her what you want to adapt her to your own wishes and taste.

She's only 3 years old, and only 1200 engine hours, you can of course always try your luck with a cash offer, which many sellers are very interested in.

Questions about topilets are imo a waste of time here, as there are some people that only want cassette toilets, others that only want pump-outs and then there are the increasingly popular composting toilets too, it's all a very personal choice, but shouldn't be the reason why you buy or not buy, as it's not too difficult to change from one to another.

You can also find on the forum that people that only wanted a cassette toilet, found a boat that thicked almost all the boxes for them apart from the toilet system that they were definitely going to change, and live happily since 5 years or more with exactly the same toilet, and wouldn't want to change for anything else now.

Good luck with your search,

Peter.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its not a dud by any means, but comparing to cars, its more of a Ford Fiesta (or maybe a Lada) than it is a BMW, & its no where near a Jaguar.

Very difficult to put a price on it without at least seeing pictures to see the standard of the fit-out. It was built by, and fitted out by, an 'economy builder' so I wouldn't expect much in the way of 'proper wood' or mitred joints.

3 years old and 1200 hours on the engine - its been well used - wonder why they never painted it ?

Take off the 'rose tinted specs' and look to criticise everything - can you live with the door that doesn't close properly ? When you lie in the bath does the fact the grout lines on the tiles don't line up irritate you, etc etc.

You are spending a lot of money (too much !!!) so you want to make sure its the right one.

There will be compromises, there will be 'buyers remorse' you just need to minimise them.

When I go I will try and take some snaps. There is very little in terms of a fit out other than the bathroom and some shelving units, which all seemed good. 

I totally understand what you're saying about the price and think if we were to proceed with it we'd have to go in with a much lower offer. 

As others (obviously from a better standard of build etc) are more like £130,000 and we just don't have that to spend - I'm fairly comfortable going down the budget end of the market, but the price of course should reflect the quality. 

4 minutes ago, bargemast said:

The boat of the link doesn't look bad, OK it's made by a budget builder but it's there and ready to start doing to her what you want to adapt her to your own wishes and taste

She's only 3 years old, and only 1200 engine hours, you can of course always try your luck with a cash offer, which many sellers are very interested in.

Good luck with your search,

Peter.

And thanks Peter - for me being able to do some of my own adaptions are so important as I've been to look at quite a few that are really not to my taste, and I'd end up just ripping stuff out. I'm an artist though, so obviously I want to make my mark! 

9 minutes ago, bargemast said:

Questions about topilets are imo a waste of time here, as there are some people that only want cassette toilets, others that only want pump-outs and then there are the increasingly popular composting toilets too, it's all a very personal choice, but shouldn't be the reason why you buy or not buy, as it's not too difficult to change from one to another.

A very good point, you probably won't know until you have lived with it for a while. 

8 minutes ago, bargemast said:

I guess, with cash in hand you may be more comfortable buying from a known broker. I would feel a little uneasy handing over £70k to a private buyer, as at three years old it could still have finance owing on it. Only my suspicious nature but you really need to make all possible enquiries.

5 minutes ago, mad dog n' Englishman said:

I guess, with cash in hand you may be more comfortable buying from a known broker. I would feel a little uneasy handing over £70k to a private buyer, as at three years old it could still have finance owing on it. Only my suspicious nature but you really need to make all possible enquiries.

Hello Jo Cocker and Leon Russell, or just simply mad dog n' Englisman, you quoted me with something I didn't say, no problem for the rest, it only wasn't me.

Also you wouldn't hand over £70k to a private buyer, as you'll have to give it to a private seller, slight difference, but I see clearly what you mean.

Of course before handing over any money, some serious checking has to be done, there are still (some) honest people in this world, but they're getting rare, and it isn't easy either to find out who is, and who isn't, one can't be careful enough.

Peter.

17 minutes ago, mad dog n' Englishman said:

Yeah I was thinking about this. How could I check if there is any finance owed on it? Any way of C&RT knowing about anything like this - or could it come up in a survey? And on that -

5 minutes ago, bargemast said:

Of course before handing over any money, some serious checking has to be done, there are still (some) honest people in this world, but they're getting rare, and it isn't easy either to find out who is, and who isn't, one can't be careful enough.

I would definitely be coming back here for advice on who could conduct a survey too! Are there any other methods for checking?

35 minutes ago, Peppers said:

Yeah I was thinking about this. How could I check if there is any finance owed on it? Any way of C&RT knowing about anything like this - or could it come up in a survey? And on that -

I would definitely be coming back here for advice on who could conduct a survey too! Are there any other methods for checking?

There is no official register unless the boat in question has been registered as a "small ship" (most haven't).

When I was buying,  I looked for paperwork kept by the previous owner, licence renewal requests and confirmations, insurance renewals, servicing bills etc.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

3 years old and 1200 hours on the engine - its been well used - wonder why they never painted it 

Someone may already have mentioned this, but any boat being sold that's less than 5 years old should come with a full RCD declaration of conformity.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Someone may already have mentioned this, but any boat being sold that's less than 5 years old should come with a full RCD declaration of conformity.

That's a very important point Mike, good you came up with it.

Peter.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Edit to add :

Will you be removing that 'orrible toilet and putting a proper one (cassette) in ?

As a newbie this whole topic makes me laugh as there is such a split.

1) How can you stand floating around on a cesspit before emptying 

2) How can you stand carrying a portable cesspit to a facility every few days

....Have to admit to being in Group 2....having to walk any distance carrying my own effluent in a box....:blink:

...but each to their own for sure....which is why I love this community.....strong opinions on most things but not at the cost of a good neighbour!

....btw...my Father-in-Law had both narrow and wide beam....I loved both on a number of journeys up and down the Thames. loved both...as it was surroundings that meant more.

Good luck in all you do :cheers:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

As a newbie this whole topic makes me laugh as there is such a split.

....Have to admit to being in Group 2....having to walk any distance carrying my own effluent in a box....:blink:

...but each to their own for sure....which is why I love this community.....strong opinions on most things but not at the cost of a good neighbour!

....btw...my Father-in-Law had both narrow and wide beam....I loved both on a number of journeys up and down the Thames. loved both...as it was surroundings that meant more.

Good luck in all you do :cheers:

This point always makes me laugh too. Why do you think that you have to carry your cassette for a long distance when you dont have to carry a pumpout tank for a long distance?

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Oh thank you, I'd never even heard of this?!

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Hmmm...I think number one could make more sense for me - bearing in mind I'll already be floating around on the fairly dirty London waters! What's a bit more?!

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Folks claim the reason not to use an anchor suitable for the size / weight of their boat (maybe a 30kg one) is they could not deploy / retrieve it.

but in water it might feel lighter..lol