EA, and C&RT

LadyG

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Gosh, you're in a suspicious mood this morning! Let us not brand the lady as a potential arch-criminal of the inland waterways before she's even bought her boat.

Trained Intelligence Officer. It's not what people say, it's the way they say it - or what they don't say, and how they don't say it.

7 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Trained Intelligence Officer. It's not what people say, it's the way they say it - or what they don't say, and how they don't say it.

Certainly, what people say or write is open to interpretation by those who hear or reads it, yes. I interpret Lady G's post which was quoted above in a different way from you.

What about "Trained intelligence officer"? Do you mean that you are one? If so, it sounds a fascinating job.

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Aha, yes it is of great interest, I have already bought "The River Great Ouse and Tributaries",  as that area is on my to do list for 2018, I get the impression the MLN would be off the beaten track in the height of summer, and stuffed full of wildlife, two things I should enjoy.

The boat has a CART registration number, so I assume I just get a CART licence when I go on their water.

Also worth getting the river nene book/map

https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KHINL0351&Category_Code=pilot-books&Store_Code=mrst&gclid=CPy-vovW09QCFaW77QodONMKJg

You will have to travel the Nene to get to the great ouse (unless the boat is already there when you buy it) 

24 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I'll bet you find it difficult to switch off from your work!

Edited by LadyG

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

Certainly, what people say or write is open to interpretation by those who hear or reads it, yes. I interpret Lady G's post which was quoted above in a different way from you.

What about "Trained intelligence officer"? Do you mean that you are one? If so, it sounds a fascinating job.

It was a very interesting job. Unfortunately, circumstances changed and I moved north. Now I'm retired from all paid employment, and enjoying life.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'll bet you find it difficult to switch off from your work!

Rule 1, never take work home with you. But perhaps I just read things and don't take them at face value the way some people do. Just the way my mind works, which was why I enjoyed my job.

Oh dear (again) My point about being creative on EA's waters is that LadyG mentioned a boat that is currently on the Thames and which may not be licenced. She wants to get it off the Thames and into the clutches of CaRT.

EA will only issue a short term licence for visitors coming onto EA waters. So if you tip up at or near an entry point - Teddington, Shepperton, Sonning, Caversham, King's you will be allowed to but a licence. Tip up at Lechlade and there will be an argument (it's not anywhere near an active adjoin waterway). There was a poster on another forum who genuinely had a boat out of the water for some time and wanted a STL jut to get it elsewhere. EA refused and there was a lot of argie-bargie to get one. They would issue a full year's registration, however.

Hence my 'creative' suggestion. If in doubt get one by post. Craft Registration department have a better understanding than a relief lockie on duty. There have been quite a number of boats that sneak onto the system out of hours but get caught out later  resulting in 'much unpleasantness' on both sides.

My comments were not an invitation to avoid paying dues, sometimes the systems are not very practical....

Edited by OldGoat

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I get the impression the MLN would be off the beaten track in the height of summer, and stuffed full of wildlife, two things I should enjoy.

Largely, yes; in fact parts of it can feel quite remote, as some of the rivers (which have stirring names such as "Sixteen Foot Drain") have high banks each side to prevent flooding. I once stayed in a hotel at Guyhirn which claimed to "overlook the river", in fact it underlooked it. But some parts, e.g. through the villages of Outwell and Upwell, are charming.

Not perhaps stuffed with wildlife, quite a lot of bird life, also eels (not often seen) and oh, Terence, the nine-inch long terrapin which basks in the afternoons on one of the tyres which line our landing stage!

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Aha, yes it is of great interest, I have already bought "The River Great Ouse and Tributaries",  as that area is on my to do list for 2018, I get the impression the MLN would be off the beaten track in the height of summer, and stuffed full of wildlife, two things I should enjoy.

The boat has a CART registration number, so I assume I just get a CART licence when I go on their water.

Are you sure it is a C&RT registration number and not an EA registration number - do you know the difference ?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

The latter scenario is unlikely.

We have no evidence that Lady G is intending to avoid paying due fees for her navigation.

It may be of interest that on the Middle Level Navigation (East from Peterborough to the Great Ouse, with a few branches to places such as Ramsey) no such fees are payable. I'm not sure if there are other waterways in Britain which are fee-free.

We could bimble around on the tidal Trent, Tidal Ouse, Humber, Tidal Witham, Tidal Great Ouse, Tidal Nene and Tidal Welland without paying a licence fee. However we would use far more fuel getting too and from the boat then the cost of a licence.

I'm sure there are many more places where a licence isn't required.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure it is a C&RT registration number and not an EA registration number - do you know the difference ?

Good point, it has both registrations, most recently EA

9 hours ago, Athy said:

It may be of interest that on the Middle Level Navigation (East from Peterborough to the Great Ouse, with a few branches to places such as Ramsey) no such fees are payable. I'm not sure if there are other waterways in Britain which are fee-free.

At the moment

9 hours ago, Athy said:

At the moment, that could change

9 hours ago, Athy said:

7 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Oh dear (again) My point about being creative on EA's waters is that LadyG mentioned a boat that is currently on the Thames and which may not be licenced. She wants to get it off the Thames and into the clutches of CaRT.

EA will only issue a short term licence for visitors coming onto EA waters. So if you tip up at or near an entry point - Teddington, Shepperton, Sonning, Caversham, King's you will be allowed to but a licence. Tip up at Lechlade and there will be an argument (it's not anywhere near an active adjoin waterway). There was a poster on another forum who genuinely had a boat out of the water for some time and wanted a STL jut to get it elsewhere. EA refused and there was a lot of argie-bargie to get one. They would issue a full year's registration, however.

Hence my 'creative' suggestion. If in doubt get one by post. Craft Registration department have a better understanding than a relief lockie on duty. There have been quite a number of boats that sneak onto the system out of hours but get caught out later  resulting in 'much unpleasantness' on both sides.

My comments were not an invitation to avoid paying dues, sometimes the systems are not very practical....

I think, as I would have a Bill of Sale, I could probably negotiate a short term licence, to exit from the EA.  Or I might just navigate the river if the boat is already fully paid up for the year. 

I could not be held responsible for a previous owner's actions, which I  think include some time out of the water, but again, that's not my concern. 

55 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think, as I would have a Bill of Sale, I could probably negotiate a short term licence, to exit from the EA.  Or I might just navigate the river if the boat is already fully paid up for the year. 

I could not be held responsible for a previous owner's actions, which I  think include some time out of the water, but again, that's not my concern. 

I'm sure that would be alright - EA folks are quite reasonable and those on the ground even more so. If you had a current licence, why not spend awhile and cruise it. It's the boat that's registered, not the owner

The Upper-Upper Thames (as I call it), above Oxford is like a broad canal but with trees and U-bends. Stop and chat to the lockies while the lock fills, indeed help with the sluices (paddles) and the gates. It's very much a family up there.

10 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I'm sure that would be alright - EA folks are quite reasonable and those on the ground even more so. If you had a current licence, why not spend awhile and cruise it. It's the boat that's registered, not the owner

The Upper-Upper Thames (as I call it), above Oxford is like a broad canal but with trees and U-bends. Stop and chat to the lockies while the lock fills, indeed help with the sluices (paddles) and the gates. It's very much a family up there.

Yep, plus, I want to visit Oxford, ramble around, visit museums. The upper Thames sounds delightful, I can imagine myself tootling along, pottering, painting, a bit of boatlife gardening., and general chill out.............

No more work, never ever.................., which is strange, cos I always liked to work, but enuff is enuff.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yep, plus, I want to visit Oxford, ramble around, visit museums,  and the upper Thames sounds delightful, I can imagine myself doddling along, pottering, painting, a bit of boatlife gardening., and generally chill out.............

No more work, never ever..................

Don't get me started on that one...

Oxford has lots of magic - IF you stay away from the main shopping streets. There's a calm in the side streets, several museums as well as the well know Ashmolean. 

Merton College in the heart of Morse-land

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 18:26, ditchcrawler said:

At the moment

Yes, I get your point.

There have been, from time to time over a number of years, occasional moves to introduce licensing on the Middle Level. Certainly there was one during the time that Trojan was moored at the end of our garden (circa 2006 - 2010). What generally happens, as I understand it, is that boaters then point out that if they're paying fees they'll expect more facilities (such as sanny stations, of which the  March facility is the only one) and the idea is quietly shelved.

On 2017-6-23 at 19:36, OldGoat said:

Are you sure about that, the CART specifically point out that change of ownership means change of licence , from their website :-

I’ve just bought a boat and it has a licence but I’m not sure what to do when it runs out?

6 & 12 month Canal & River licences bought after 1st May 2015 are not transferrable, so you will need a buy a new licence. [end quote]

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT and the EA are two totally separate entities, with separate licensing rues &regulations, pricing etc etc.

Yes, I realise that, I just needed reassurane, OG is Wise Owl , in my experience.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Yes, I realise that, I just needed reassurane, OG is Wise Owl , in my experience.

On the Thames (at least) it's the boat that's registered not you. You just pay the fee!!  The previous owner can transfer or claim a refund only if the boat is to be moved to another waterway. See here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/boat-registration-refunding-or-transferring-your-registration.

At this time of the year there will be no refund -  so he would be unreasonable in asking you to make a contribution for the remainder of this year. If the boat's already been deregistered - then someone's been naughty... If  it's on a Gold licence - and some are - then I haven't found any details, but as it's a joint scheme between EA and CaRT, you may be OK.

On a practical basis as long as you are displaying the EA plate or a Gold licence sticker then you won't be troubled by anyone on either waterway! 

ps - thank you for your trust. I get long winded as quite often there's no single and definitive simple answer - as above! Pragmatically both organisations have had their money so the man (or woman; we do have some lady officers on the Thames) will be content. 

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

That's it!  They shepherd and nurture it as a "risk control" org.

There used to be a separate organisation - The Thames Conservancy which was created via several Acts of Parliament.

For some reason that was seen to be not-good-enough so was dumped on  Thames Water who, after some time handed it back / or perhaps in view of pending privatization was taken over by the EA and there it remains unless it can be dumped on CaRT who surly have more sense.....