Fitting a new Gas Range

Featured Posts

Hello. My name is Pearl and i am new to Canal World forum! I was hoping to get some advice on our renovation.

We have lived on our beautiful 67 ft narrow boat for the last 2 years and after getting the sides over plated we are finally able to do a complete renovation. We have just finished the insulation and flooring and are about to have the electrics put in with a complete rewire. We have done a design layout for our boat but we have also bought a Rangemaster 110 which weighs 120kg (it took four of us to get the thing into the back of our truck!! have know idea how we will get it into the boat!!). The plan is that this goes into the bow end of the boat along with a fridge, freezer and large Belfast sink as well as everything you would normally have in a kitchen... We are concerned that this will be a huge amount of weight at one end of the boat especially once the water tank is full...   my queerie is would you recommend moving the kitchen further into the middle of the boat or will it be OK at the bow end? we have removed some ballast from that end. basically i don't want to make a silly mistake that we will have to then change around. would rather get it right before the electrician and gas man arrive! thank you for any advice, Pearl  x 

I moved my kitchen from middle to stern, i fitted a proper kitchen and with washer and fridge it did bring the back end down a bit, will you be fitting it to at the side, this will make the boat list a fair bit, so then you add 120kg of weight the other side to counter, then your back end comes down more...

I would suggest getting something in the back end first that weighs the same, some bricks maybe, to see how much difference it makes, before sweating getting the cooker in.

that's a good idea thank you. Yes it will be, the range on one side and the sink, fridge and freezer on other... so should balance out am more worried that it will bring the front end down to much but i will experiment with stones and people! thank you very much! x 

Sorry i misread your post, thinking you were putting the range in the stern.

so yes get some weights in the bow and see how it performs, if the boat is in the water at the minute?

You would need to fill the water tank also if thats at the bow end. 

Do it gradually if its in the water, keeping an eye on any outlets,drains getting close to the waterline.

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know this is off a tangent but has it converted to run on LPG? And does it have flame supervision on all the gas burners?

If not, you'll be taking it back out again after your next BSS inspection!

But a very good, useful and relevant tangent.

Thank you! Yes it is converted. We are having it fitted to make sure it is all safe and legal!

All our drainage holes are high up so we think it will be ok. I thought I would put this up and see if any one starts shouting that it's a bad idea or flags any major concerns with having a large kitchen at any one end of the boat. Have seen many boats with kitchens at now or stern so will e experiment and see how we get on x  Thank you x 

We removed a load of ballast to counter act the adding of steel but It was a 10 birth ex rental so took an extraordinary amount of weight out when stripping it so am sure it won't end in tears. Alot of time and research has gone into this project! Xx  she's a beast... if it seems to be to top heavy then we will swap the kitchen and living room around! Where kitchen is planned to go it held 2 sofas a bunk bed and a loo including toilet tank... think we've measured and weighed correctly. Thank you though xx