Missing Lock Windlass

canalboat

Featured Posts

Coming through Hillmorton Locks yesterday I was asked if I had seen a Lock Windlass with the name TARYN embossed into it. It was apparently put down whilst helping rescue a sheep and it was obviously picked up by an innocent passer-by thinking it to be lost.   I was told that it has huge sentimental value so I offered to put the loss on here in case some kind sole is looking for the owner and happened to read this.

Most commendable, thank you. I hope it works. What is the name of the boat to which it belongs? If you don't wish to give that information, perhaps anyone finding it could contact you?

Do we know where exactly it was put down? If in long-ish grass it might yet still be there.

I know when I throw my windlass onto the lockside whilst climbing a lock ladder it can take me ages to find it if the grass is long, and I know where it is to within about a metre.

My windlasses (we call them lock keys out of habit) are technicolour all painted and bound with various colured  self-adhesive plastic tape to make then clearly visible - but that is not much use if you are forgetful.

25 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

My windlasses (we call them lock keys out of habit) are technicolour all painted and bound with various colured  self-adhesive plastic tape to make then clearly visible - but that is not much use if you are forgetful.

A name, boat name and phone number on a precious windlass would be a good idea. Easy to suggest after the loss, but might help anyone else losing a precious windlass in regular use.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

It's not the windlass I loose but the little 3/4" to 1/2" tap to hose pipe connector.  I screw it onto the CRT water point and forget to unscrew when done.  

I think the solution is in your own hands, then (or it should be, had you remembered!). Obviously you are not the obsessive type!

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I think the solution is in your own hands, then (or it should be, had you remembered!). Obviously you are not the obsessive type!

Yeah I know.  I buy them in threes from toolstation at just over a quid each, 3 will last the season.  I am sure that if they cost more I would remember...................