Lydney Hulks

Heartland

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

This is the VENUS that was one of the prototypes from Harland & Wolff. Location is Middlewich, 1983.

Pete, you are very welcome to copy, retain and distribute as you wish, they are images I took myself in '83.

Thanks Derek, and in exactly the same place that I first photographed VENUS a year or two later :captain:

5 hours ago, Paul Barnett said:

Dear Capt'n Pegg

Would you kindly be advised my colour image is one of an extensive set of photographs documenting the Lydney foreshore in the 1967 period and is correctly orientated as per.

Paul

I’m happy to be advised as I can’t claim to know which way round the boat in question was orientated. I posted a hypothesis based on the evidence presented and a degree of knowledge of the surroundings of the area.

I was well aware when I posted that you may have far better local knowledge and irrefutable evidence that my hypothesis was wrong. I’d much prefer to be proved wrong by such evidence if you have it.

JP

• 3 weeks later...

The image, originally posted was from the RCHS Weaver Collection, If it is reversed, then that can be rectified. Unfortunately the slides were self mounted and there have been cases where it is not easy to spot.

The  other related image is:

47408.jpg

On 06/05/2019 at 13:08, Heartland said:

The image, originally posted was from the RCHS Weaver Collection, If it is reversed, then that can be rectified. Unfortunately the slides were self mounted and there have been cases where it is not easy to spot.

The  other related image is:

47408.jpg

https://rogerfarnworth.com/2017/09/26/lydney-harbour/

Ray,

If you look at the website linked above there are a couple of items that suggest that the photo you have just posted may be reversed.

The orientation as presented would have the photographer facing north. A feature of the photo is what appears to be a line of high tension electric pylons in the background. I believe these no longer exist but if you look at the extract from an OS map on the linked website there is an overhead cable route that coincides with what is in the picture to the south of Lydney.

There is also an aerial shot of the harbour/canal entrance which shows a line of boats to the south of the railway bridge spanning the outlet. The first of these boats is of a narrower beam than all others. This shot appears to be taken prior to further boats being dumped on the opposite side of the outlet so it can not be absolutely concluded this boat is PLEONE but if indeed your other photo is also reversed the position does correlate well.

In the above photograph do you believe PLEONE to be to the left of centre and not particularly obvious because of its small size compared to the other boats and the fact that the view is the back of the cabin listing to the right?

Consider also that it appears that there was only ever a concrete wall to the north of the bridge spanning the outlet. This all adds up to both photos being reversed as Mr Barnett insisted.

What this would mean is that the visible engine beds in the mud that Laurence Hogg stated were from PLEONE could not be unless they have shifted, which I am not sure is realistic. I did consider that Laurence’s Google Earth capture showed them too far from shore but the eye sees distances differently at ground level than is suggested by a plan view so I didn’t take that as being conclusive evidence.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg