Cheshire Locks

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

We have just come up the Cheshire lock and the lock wall behind the bottom gate looks to have a false wooden front on it. This is only on the side of the island between the two locks. This set me thinking,did they once have a paddle between the two chambers like at Hillmorton to save water?

DSCF8188small.jpg

52 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have just come up the Cheshire lock and the lock wall behind the bottom gate looks to have a false wooden front on it. This is only on the side of the island between the two locks. This set me thinking,did they once have a paddle between the two chambers like at Hillmorton to save water?

DSCF8188small.jpg

Absolutely correct. Some were still in situ in the late 70's and early 80's. Very good way of saving water providing they were used sensibly.

51 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

DSCF8188small.jpg

Yes there was. I can remember some in place in the 1970's. I have a vague memory of actually using one, which might have been the only usable one on the flight. Also used the Thurlwood Steel Lock a couple of times,now that WAS a contraption!

10 hours ago, billh said:

Also used the Thurlwood Steel Lock a couple of times,now that WAS a contraption!

The first time I did the 4 Counties Ring this lock was still in operation.

I took one look at it and headed straight for the conventional lock!

Now that it has gone, I wish I had used it, just for the experience. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

The first time I did the 4 Counties Ring this lock was still in operation.

I took one look at it and headed straight for the conventional lock!

Now that it has gone, I wish I had used it, just for the experience. 

Yes the Steel lock was the only way to pass in early 60's as the "standard" lock was out of commission, a number of early leisure boaters required the assistance of the local "yoof on how to operate it, the fail safe gate locking bar seemed to be the stumbling block. It used to make me smile as the pub talk among the leisure boaters was the "ogre in the cupboard" Thurlwood Steel Lock.It was a shame that the maintenance on the Cheshire locks at that time was to tip loads of bricks etc into the chamber & abandon them making single lock passing

5 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

You will now need bolt croppers as CRT have padlocked it as I found out when I tried to use it recently!

George

I have bolt croppers on board. However they are for removing wire, mattresses etc from around the prop.

Pity CRT don't reinstate the numerous side ponds around the system, and add boards detailing how to use them for those who don't know. 

It would add interest and save water. There are much more dangerous things than side ponds on our canal system.

Edited by cuthound
To add a missing worm

On 2017-6-21 at 21:37, ditchcrawler said:

DSCF8188small.jpg

Yes they did, and in commercial days the bylaws required a boater to use them. If not he might find himself "under the clock" at Sandbach

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

There is, we have now managed to confuse your two topics though!

Marple Locks originally had two bottom ground paddles on the same side, some had been removed before the canal fell derelict and the remainder disappeared shortly after restoration. Growing up near the locks, I recall lock 12 having them, and the rodding still being in place in lock 7 with no mechanism at the top.

Reported in the hope that the mods can move it.

Moved the posts as requested

Edited by magpie patrick
To update on report