Newbie Training

Nick D

Featured Posts

Hi all, we are in the throws of buying our first boat and I would like to learn more about boat mechanics and electricals maybe with a view to doing some simple servicing myself.  Do you think I would be better going on a general narrowboat training course or having some one to one instruction on our own boat?  In either case can anyone recommend providers?

Also, as we have been on many hire boats in the past, do you think a helmsman course would be worthwhile?

On 21/06/2017 at 14:47, IanM said:

Well worth doing, you'll learn a lot.

Next course was September unless you book a 1-2-1 onboard....am on that goal myself....but gotta a get a bet yet after the last log of sales and follow up :D

Have a second viewing and three new ones this weekend .....and with a boat out for survey within a week, compared to 5 weeks on the last lot.

Can't wait for the tuition!

On 6/21/2017 at 14:40, Nick D said:

Hi all, we are in the throws of buying our first boat and I would like to learn more about boat mechanics and electricals maybe with a view to doing some simple servicing myself.  Do you think I would be better going on a general narrowboat training course or having some one to one instruction on our own boat?  In either case can anyone recommend providers?

Also, as we have been on many hire boats in the past, do you think a helmsman course would be worthwhile?

Tony Brooks forum member used to do such courses if I recall correctly. A knowlegable bloke well worth contacting anyway to see if he still does it. Helmsmans courses are never going to be a waste but if you have a superstar with my kind of qualifications nearby then often that can be the way to go.

I had been sailing, (on the sea), for about 30 years but, when I bought my 1st boat in 2006, I organised an Inland Waterways Helmsmans Course for myself and my wife. More for her than for me, but I learned a lot, prior to setting off from Glasson Dock to Malta, (and back).

I also did an RYA Diesel Engine Course at a narrowboat centre, (Marple Top Lock), and learned loads. I took photos of my engine and, as I was the only one who did so, the Instructor referred to my pics regularly during the day, which made it very personal to my engine.

I've probably got superstar qualifications, but both courses were of tremendous use.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Tony Brooks forum member used to do such courses if I recall correctly. A knowlegable bloke well worth contacting anyway to see if he still does it.

Just in case Tony misses this thread, no he doesn't run those courses any longer unfortunately. 

And he is very happy to answer technical questions via Email at no charge (except I may publish them to help other boaters). Although this forum is excellent at answering questions it takes a bit of time to sort out who you can trust and who is answering from very limited experience. It is also easy to get talked down to etc. so if you are a bit concerned about "getting questions right" don't be just email.

Thanks Tony, I've already started reading your training programmes online and have learned loads in a short period.  It's very good of you to keep this resource available.  I think I will also book on a RCR course as it's always good to see how things work.

Yes, can recommend the courses but if you're a bit hard up - have your engine serviced (by RCR?) and watch/take it all in/ask questions etc

Most engineers happy to help and there are quite a few moments to pass whilst oil drains etc

For specific questions - ask away on here.

46 minutes ago, Profzarkov said:

Yes, can recommend the courses but if you're a bit hard up - have your engine serviced (by RCR?) and watch/take it all in/ask questions etc

Having the boat serviced by RCR would seem to be good value at £130 including parts but the problem is they don't do this during the main boating season so you'd have to wait until mid September.

They do offer their personal engine maintenance course all year round but it's dearer at £170 PLUS parts (unless you provide the parts). It's a much better option for learning though as they get you to do the service under their supervision and they allow a generous 4 hours for it which means there is plenty of time to cover any issues of your choosing once the service itself is finished.

EDIT TO ADD... also you have to be a member to get the £130 service. I haven't found anything that suggests this is the case for the £170 service/course.

Edited by MrBeethoven