Nb Tay and the dream!

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

ahh dont worry, it will never happen, just a though whilst staring at my pc...

Although i did think, why do fuel boats have to be from older ex working boats, why not just have a boat built, must be cheaper and easier to build a shell with a small cabin?

Another reason is that i think most 'coal boaters' get into it because they are passionate about Historic boats rather than they've drempt all their lives of selling coal. Personally speaking I'd have no interest in doing this job on a modern boat, although should you not be into histerical boats it could still be a great lifestyle on a modern boat.

As far as i am aware Mountbatten & Jelicoe are still for sale. Already kitted out as fuel boats, with a round, and with some additional living space on the butty. Only really suitable for small people though if you want a good nights sleep.

3 minutes ago, junior said:

Another reason is that i think most 'coal boaters' get into it because they are passionate about Historic boats rather than they've drempt all their lives of selling coal.

The career paths of most coal boat operators is surprising. For instance, you wouldn't expect working in the media to be a natural starting point (not you Martin)

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The career paths of most coal boat operators is surprising. For instance, you wouldn't expect working in the media to be a natural starting point (not you Martin)

Richard

Nope, or a UK Border Force Dog Handler as i was. But i know who you're talking about, and both he and I got into this through being interested in hysterical boats.

Just now, junior said:

Nope, or a UK Border Force Dog Handler as i was. But i know who you're talking about, and both he and I got into this through being interested in hysterical boats.

I thought you both got into it because you are both bonkers - in the nicest possible way

Richard

On 22/06/2017 at 09:03, billybobbooth said:

I did want tay but we prefered towy due to clothes as i always wanted a woodern josher now i got one, + tay had worng engine in for me and after having been on dane the hold is just a unusable area except stooring stuff

That was pretty much my own assessment of Tay too, but just by looking at the listing and knowing she was a tar boat. 

What's it like inside the hold? Covered in tar presumably!!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That was pretty much my own assessment of Tay too, but just by looking at the listing and knowing she was a tar boat. 

What's it like inside the hold? Covered in tar presumably!!

I doubt it, they replaced a lot of timber i think so would have removed all trace of tar at a guess?

16 hours ago, RLWP said:

Apparently, despite appearances they are in good order

The duckweed is coming on nicely, as are the trees at the stern of FmK

Richard

Mabel & Forget Me Not ? look a lot different to the days of Froudie"s Hotel  Pair

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

I doubt it, they replaced a lot of timber i think so would have removed all trace of tar at a guess?

If its anything like dane or towy you can remove most but not all! On a hot day with clothes down all the oil/tar seaps out the old wood. Danes was not painted so was still very much tar.

3 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

I did want tay but we prefered towy due to clothes as i always wanted a woodern josher now i got one, + tay had worng engine in for me and after having been on dane the hold is just a unusable area except stooring stuff

The deck wasn't any kind of issue for us - only added to her appeal...similarly the engine was something which could be swapped in the future as funds and opportunity allowed ..( for me :) )  her shape is correct at both ends - she is truly beautiful and has a brilliant 'feel' ...these tar boats resonate with me in a way that I cant really explain :) ...anyway,she needs a couple of things doing to her reasonably quickly - plank on one side and some plating to water line and caulking and tarring plus the stove isn't working - all relatively minor stuff...I offered what I felt was a decent price but I was a long way short of her owners valuation........and my wife stopped me bidding  :) 

50 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Mabel & Forget Me Not ? look a lot different to the days of Froudie"s Hotel  Pair

But they were structurally in a similar state, Tim Leech's 1970s rebuild being very tired by the time they were abandoned at Cropredy (in hotel boat guise) in the late 90s.

A lot of work was done after they were rescued from section 8 destruction by the current owners but, like so many boats, a change of circumstances has lead to their current deteriorated appearance.

There are many other boats that, though they look cosmetically better than Mabel or FMN, are falling apart underneath their "lick of paint"

7 minutes ago, carlt said:

But they were structurally in a similar state, Tim Leech's 1970s rebuild being very tired by the time they were abandoned at Cropredy (in hotel boat guise) in the late 90s.

A lot of work was done after they were rescued from section 8 destruction by the current owners but, like so many boats, a change of circumstances has lead to their current deteriorated appearance.

There are many other boats that, though they look cosmetically better than Mabel or FMN, are falling apart underneath their "lick of paint"

I'd really like to know what has been done to them, and when. I think I can remember FmK being dry docked some time ago

Richard

42 minutes ago, rivergate said:

The deck wasn't any kind of issue for us - only added to her appeal...similarly the engine was something which could be swapped in the future as funds and opportunity allowed ..( for me :) )  her shape is correct at both ends - she is truly beautiful and has a brilliant 'feel' ...these tar boats resonate with me in a way that I cant really explain :) ...anyway,she needs a couple of things doing to her reasonably quickly - plank on one side and some plating to water line and caulking and tarring plus the stove isn't working - all relatively minor stuff...I offered what I felt was a decent price but I was a long way short of her owners valuation........and my wife stopped me bidding  :) 

Yes i know what you mean

22 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

I spotted this a few days ago, got me thinking about i could turn it into a fuel boat and drift the canals selling stuff, oh what a life!

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/2995web/2995abnb.php?BoatID=2995

Then i mentioned it to the GF and it didn't go down well when i said it had no bathroom, a bunk bed and a cabin smaller than the bedroom on my boat.... 

But i guess its not a dream life, its hard work, you make no real money and have no life or friends, please someone tell me this is true so i can dismiss the thought from my head once and for all.

It's an excellent dream Dave. Even if it is the wrong boat for the purpose. I have a different heritage boat based mad plan of my own that will never happen. It's good to daydream.

I still read the Tay advert regularly but seeing as it is still for sale I think rivergate has a far better grasp of its market value than the owner.

My brief encounters with Spey made it my favourite heritage boat but I am partial to the cut down converted ex-GU boats like Enceladus, Thea and Sextans. I suspect that makes me a heretic to some.

JP

57 minutes ago, carlt said:

I;was referring to the early 70's when they were active hotel boating

4 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Yes they benefited from a complete rebuild, courtesy of Tim, back then and had pretty much nothing more done to them until the late 90s when they were section 8ed at Cropredy then moved to Charity Dock for some major work.

As is so common with wooden boats they have had restorative work done in 20 year bursts rather than steady maintenance.

Time for another burst, methinks, before it's too late.

11 minutes ago, carlt said:

Yes they benefited from a complete rebuild, courtesy of Tim, back then and had pretty much nothing more done to them until the late 90s when they were section 8ed at Cropredy then moved to Charity Dock for some major work.

As is so common with wooden boats they have had restorative work done in 20 year bursts rather than steady maintenance.

Time for another burst, methinks, before it's too late.

As time passes the number of people with the capability/incentive to carry out restoration work decreases in much the same ratio as the cost rises & a good few people tend to pass them by I guess fearing the unknown, having heard on the tow path telegraph that steel is the only way to go, Shame a lot of incorrect info has become this is the way to go on all forms of canal matters

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It's an excellent dream Dave. Even if it is the wrong boat for the purpose. I have a different heritage boat based mad plan of my own that will never happen. It's good to daydream.

I still read the Tay advert regularly but seeing as it is still for sale I think rivergate has a far better grasp of its market value than the owner.

My brief encounters with Spey made it my favourite heritage boat but I am partial to the cut down converted ex-GU boats like Enceladus, Thea and Sextans. I suspect that makes me a heretic to some.

JP

:) ....and Im sure I will try again in a little while... :) ...

59 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'd really like to know what has been done to them, and when. I think I can remember FmK being dry docked some time ago

Richard

My memory is vague these days though I do have all Sean's notebooks somewhere detailing the work he did to them.

Does anyone know if 'Audlem' ever sold that was on A/duck a couple of years ago?  It was a wooden ice breaker tug with a barrel shaped hull, moored up the Rochdale I think. The price was getting very tempting and much work had already been done. The vendor was insisting that it went to someone with experience in wooden boat building.. 

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

Does anyone know if 'Audlem' ever sold that was on A/duck a couple of years ago?  It was a wooden ice breaker tug with a barrel shaped hull, moored up the Rochdale I think. The price was getting very tempting and much work had already been done. The vendor was insisting that it went to someone with experience in wooden boat building.. 

That would have been AUTHERLEY back in 2014, but I have no idea whether it sold :captain:

4 hours ago, X Alan W said:

We came across them on the Llangollen in the 1990s in what I think was their last year as hotel boats. The then owner told us he had to be very careful in handling them as there were a few weak spots below the water line, and he didn't want a boat sinking with guests aboard!