Braunston Historic Boat Gathering - This Weekend

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

Being Brownie and now Guide leader I get all excited everytime I see the name of your boat :)

2 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

Being Brownie and now Guide leader I get all excited everytime I see the name of your boat :)

Getting hawny over Tawny!!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

I reckon the average age per tonne of steel on Tawny Owl may be older than some of the 'historic' boats ;)

A whole new way of justifying her historic status! Year tonnes

Richard

52 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It is usually possible for a non Facebook member to see albums posted.

You need to do more than make the album public, making an album public just means that other Facebook members who are not friends can see it. 

To make it available for non facebook people you have to get a link from the album edit page (Click on the 'wheel'  symbol) Info here:

http://www.guidingtech.com/5443/share-facebook-photo-album-public-link/

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

For those who can, (or are prepared to!) see Facebook albums, a small taster of pictures taken yesterday showing historic boats already gathering for this weekend's big event. (Or the "rust fest" as Nick Norman will no doubt call it!).

Facebook album

The link to the album appears not to be working atm 

7 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

The link to the album appears not to be working atm 

The link is fine you just need to be signed into Facebook for it to work.  If you are not signed into Facebook, try this link

4 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Im not going as i have one eye on a historic wooden boat for sale at the minute, i fear seeing them up close and talking to owners may sway my decision, to which the GF will not be happy!

I'd stop looking at wooden boats now, or it will be an arm and a leg as well as an eye :P

6 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Did you spot any nice old but non-historic boats?

I was quite disappointed not to see you next to me, given our magnetic attraction of late

Edited by Greygal
Edited for idiotic repetition

11 minutes ago, Greygal said:

I was quite disappointed not to see you next to me, given our magnetic attraction of late

You have got a good spot there and it was tempting but I would have got in trouble with the powers that be for conflating old with historic.

JP

3 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

You need to do more than make the album public, making an album public just means that other Facebook members who are not friends can see it. 

To make it available for non facebook people you have to get a link from the album edit page (Click on the 'wheel'  symbol) Info here:

http://www.guidingtech.com/5443/share-facebook-photo-album-public-link/

Tim

No, I have tried to follow that guide and fail at Step 4

Step 4: On the album page, towards the top you will see a settings button with options to Add Photos, Edit and a drop down arrow. Click on the drop down and select the option to Share Album.

I simply don't get "Add Photos, Edit and a drop down arrow" apperaing near the top of the screen.

The only "Add Photos" option I get is whre the pictures are displayed the first ox says "+ Add Photos/Videos"  that is all I can do there - there is no drop down.

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

You have got a good spot there and it was tempting but I would have got in trouble with the powers that be for conflating old with historic.

JP

Or revenue earning with historic - that doesn't work either

Richard

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I'd stop looking at wooden boats now, or it will be an arm and a leg as well as an eye :P

Ill encorage you to buy one but can i borrow your leg before i do?

So are all these steel boats there for scrap? Or are you just trying to raise the water level?

13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

No, I have tried to follow that guide and fail at Step 4

Step 4: On the album page, towards the top you will see a settings button with options to Add Photos, Edit and a drop down arrow. Click on the drop down and select the option to Share Album.

I simply don't get "Add Photos, Edit and a drop down arrow" apperaing near the top of the screen.

The only "Add Photos" option I get is whre the pictures are displayed the first ox says "+ Add Photos/Videos"  that is all I can do there - there is no drop down.

Theoption is not available on the phone app, it has to be done from a PC.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

20 hours ago, RLWP said:

A whole new way of justifying her historic status! Year tonnes

Richard

So...

a relatively recently rebuilt wooden boat contains a few tons of oak planks, cut from circa 200 year old trees makes the boat (pre)historic in year tons?

Note:- Tons as in 2240lbs not that metric nonsense. 

1 minute ago, billh said:

So...

a relatively recently rebuilt wooden boat contains a few tons of oak planks, cut from circa 200 year old trees makes the boat (pre)historic in year tons?

Nope - it's made of new planks. I had a lengthy discussion with an aboriculturist about this recently, which concluded planks don't grow on trees

Anyway, you'd have to average the age across the plank. The tree didn't spring fully formed from the ground 200 years ago, it grew

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Nope - it's made of new planks. I had a lengthy discussion with an aboriculturist about this recently, which concluded planks don't grow on trees

Anyway, you'd have to average the age across the plank. The tree didn't spring fully formed from the ground 200 years ago, it grew

Richard

I beg to differ, it's made of wood, in this case, oak, which is a tree. If it was re-constituted material like MDF or chip-board I would agree with you but as it is it's cut and shaped    

oak tree.

31 minutes ago, billh said:

I beg to differ, it's made of wood, in this case, oak, which is a tree. If it was re-constituted material like MDF or chip-board I would agree with you but as it is it's cut and shaped    

oak tree.

Planks don't grow on trees. They grow in trees.

5 hours ago, billh said:

So...

You haven't thought that argument through enough.

How old do you think the iron ore used to make even the most modern steel boat is?

JP

Came from the steel age?

The intresting bit would be which came first the ground that produced the soil that grew the tree as the tree didnt just grow from nothing or the rock that has to ore in it?

I would win with my ton of wood, as would weigh far more than your ton of rock

24 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Came from the steel age?

The intresting bit would be which came first the ground that produced the soil that grew the tree as the tree didnt just grow from nothing or the rock that has to ore in it?

I would win with my ton of wood, as would weigh far more than your ton of rock

Ore is rock. And it's usually found underneath the ground that stuff grows in. May be a clue there.

Is that a long ton or a short ton of wood? If I had a tonne of feathers which would weigh the most?