Braunston Historic Boat Gathering - This Weekend

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

For those who can, (or are prepared to!) see Facebook albums, a small taster of pictures taken yesterday showing historic boats already gathering for this weekend's big event. (Or the "rust fest" as Nick Norman will no doubt call it!).

Facebook album

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

For those who can, (or are prepared to!) see Facebook albums, a small taster of pictures taken yesterday showing historic boats already gathering for this weekend's big event. (Or the "rust fest" as Nick Norman will no doubt call it!).

Facebook album

I'm already suffering form acute withdrawal symptoms.  It'll be the first time in fifteen years that we've not been there with either Owl or Hampton.  The former has now gone down south with its new owner and the latter is still undergoing extensive reconstruction at Stockton Dry Dock.

We've booked in to a nearby hotel so we shall at least be able to enjoy the atmosphere and meet all our friends.

37 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Facebook album

Did you spot any nice old but non-historic boats?

15 minutes ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

You missed Tawny!

But she is hiding in the marina as she's not allowed to consort with those more mature and venerable examples of the boaty world. Well not yet anyway.

See you at the weekend.

Sue

Being Brownie and now Guide leader I get all excited everytime I see the name of your boat :)

Just now, dave moore said:

I'm afraid I'll be giving this a miss this year. I can't drive for another 2 weeks yet following surgery so I'm home based for a little while still. No boating either!

Dave

I wouldnt have been going but sympathise with you re the surgery and not allowed to drive bit as I am sat here in the " same boat " so to speak :wacko:

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

(Or the "rust fest" as Nick Norman will no doubt call it!).

Facebook album

Reading up the tales of re plating requirements on modern leisure boats one has to wonder how many will be around when or more likely IF they manage to attain the age of of the FMC & other early examples followed not to far behind by the GU fleet

3 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Reading up the tales of re plating requirements on modern leisure boats one has to wonder how many will be around when or more likely IF they manage to attain the age of of the FMC & other early examples followed not to far behind by the GU fleet

Of course that is nothing to do with the fact that the entire extent of equipment on "historic boats" is no more than a coal stove and paraffin lamp, whereas modern boats are full of electrics, electronics and shore power connections. Anyway there were plenty of seriously rusty / holed historic boats around - but of course lots have recently been restored/repaired. And don't forget the woodworm!

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Facebook album

Well our historic boats are there, but Facebook won't let me see the photos.

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Since I'm not a member of Facebook, I can't be a member of any Facebook groups.

It is usually possible for a non Facebook member to see albums posted.

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Since I'm not a member of Facebook, I can't be a member of any Facebook groups.

Nor are we, but we can access the Flamingo and Sickle pages, but not the Braunston one for some reason.

We've had a dose of Faceache previously, and had it removed.

This what we can (cannot) see:

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
Edited by Derek R.

23 minutes ago, IanM said:

It's an album in a group so maybe you need to be a member of the group to see them??

I wouldn't have expected that, given it is in a public group.  (But I'm no expert!)

Is this any better?

(Posted to m own time line, and intentionally made public).

If not you will need to come to Braunston to see them (!)

Linky

Edited by alan_fincher

4 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Nor are we, but we can access the Flamingo and Sickle pages, but not the Braunston one for some reason.

Same here.  The Flamingo and Sickle pages bring up an annoying Login or Sign Up popup, but I can still see the photos.

The link to the Braunston album produces this:

Capture.PNG.64a3319a8071ba70f9723d12e8b40c71.PNG

2 hours ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

You missed Tawny!

But she is hiding in the marina as she's not allowed to consort with those more mature and venerable examples of the boaty world. Well not yet anyway.

See you at the weekend.

Sue

I reckon the average age per tonne of steel on Tawny Owl may be older than some of the 'historic' boats ;)