Portable Generator leaking petrol

Momac

Featured Posts

Petrol generator - Impax 1500 from Screwfix , suitcase type, has been okay almost two years old with very occasional use. Now past its one year warranty.

This weekend used it a few hours . As the weather was quite hot the generator probably got a bit hotter than usual . I let it stand to cool after being used, and put it on my boat. Later smelled petrol and found the generator  was leaking petrol - quite a significant  leak.

I have since run up the generator for a few minutes  and no leak when running but starts to leak petrol a few minutes after stopping.

I tried leaving filler cap in the open vent position and the fuel tap  switched off - still some petrol vapour and escaping petrol appears under the generator.

Side panel removal doesn't reveal anything obvious. I am thinking the engine got too hot and has damaged/melted  a fuel pipe? Or could it be the float valve in the carburettor has stuck ? Any thoughts welcome.

Edited by MartynG

You should never run an engine that you suspect has a fuel leak.

Nor should it be left on board.

The petrol tap will be between the tank and the carburettor, so if you turn the tap off and the leak is a fuel pipe or stuck float then the leak can only last until the tiny amount between the tap and carburettor is lost.

If it is a continuous or long leak then it's leaking from the tap or the tank.

If it's within your scope you need to remove as much of the casing in order to be able to study the tank, all piping, tap and carburettor.

If not, then take it to an expert.

• Greenie 1

The generator was taken off the boat as soon as possible and is now at home standing outside and well away from the house . It is going nowhere near the boat until fixed.

Added a small amount more fuel and it is peeing out. Fuel tap or pipe between tank and fuel tap could be the source of the leak. 

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have one of those gennies too. Mine isn't leaking (yet).

Amazingly cheap at £159 (IIRC), but not so cheap if they only last a year...

It was £280, which is cheap .

http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-imdy1500lbi-1200w-inverter-generator-230v/15761?kpid=15761&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CP_k1-_vy9QCFe2d7Qodui0Flw&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM-G6u_vy9QCFesg0wodtm0Dkg

Disappointing this has happened at under two years old. When its running it appears to be okay so I am hopeful of a repair.

Amazing that a (perceived) 'high quality' company such as Screwfix only offer a 1 year warranty, whilst Aldi (perceived as low quality company) offer a 3yr warranty on their generators, and, at £129 for the 1200w - a heck of a lot cheaper.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Ah, an error on my part. Mine is the next one down, now gone up to £189 I see.

15760_P?$autoprodblock$

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Amazing that a (perceived) 'high quality' company such as Screwfix only offer a 1 year warranty, whilst Aldi (perceived as low quality company) offer a 3yr warranty on their generators

It would never occur to me to visit Aldi to buy a generator.

Mind you, I never go there for anything. It's usually full of badly dressed people who equate 'cheap' with 'good'.

Hmmmmm sounds like a typical boater. Perhaps I should give them a try!

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I never go there for anything. It's usually full of badly dressed people who equate 'cheap' with 'good'.

Oh, you're missing out. The very best rib-eye steak you can get anywhere. At silly prices too. 

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Oh, you're missing out. The very best rib-eye steak you can get anywhere. At silly prices too. 

I'm slowly weaning myself off eating animals.

So, Aldi are good for steak and generators. Sounds a jolly fine shop!

Anything else?

(Tidying up edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So, Aldi are good for steak and generators. 

Anything else?

TVs, satellite dishes, cheap grinders, yoghurt, bread, cereal, fresh veg, milk, soft drinks and booze. Oh, and dog food. 

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Aldi's premium tea bags (in the yellow pack) are better than any from a major supermarket chain

No - cannot agree. Tea is very important.

Aldi's 'Red Label' (the Red box) is superb & strong enough so that each bag will make 2 large (china) mugs.

Hang them out to dry on a line (you do get some strange looks) and they are just as good second-time around.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

(I was not aware that the Yorkshire climate was conducive to the growing of tea)

It's only a camellia... they grow it in Cornwall. Surely someone could develop a "reet 'ardy" variant to grow on the moors?

4 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I still can't get my head around the idea of going to Aldi to do your weekly grocery shop and walking out with a full size 3 section ladder, I mean how the hell are you supposed to get it in your trolley?

Climb up it, silly. 

I have a small rechargeable battery powered drill/screw driver from Aldi that cost  £20 . It seems well made and has been useful for light duties .

Also recommend Aldi's  small battery charger which cost about £14 and is good to help revive (lead acid) batteries .

However a lot of these things are available once a year and not necessarily in the shop at  the point you might want to buy.

I looked at a small dry powder fire  extinguisher in Aldi and decided against.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah, an error on my part. Mine is the next one down, now gone up to £189 I see.

15760_P?$autoprodblock$

It would never occur to me to visit Aldi to buy a generator.

Mind you, I never go there for anything. It's usually full of badly dressed people who equate 'cheap' with 'good'.

Hmmmmm sounds like a typical boater. Perhaps I should give them a try!

A friend bought that smaller impax generator and surprising it does work okay at powering the battery charger and much easier to lift and store away compared to the more powerful generator . The bigger generator results in more amps from the battery charger. However  I wish I had bought the smaller one.