windows and heat

Rickent

Featured Posts

Took windows out this morning to let some air through a very warm boat.

Nothing unusual so far, this afternoon the wife pkcked up a window to put it back in and it pretty much exploded .

Has this happened to any body else?

This is all that is left.

20170619_202106.jpg

The wife is adamant that she never knocked it. I have heard of patio tables exploding in extreme heat but am at a loss as to why this happened.

I now have to find somewhere local to supply a piece of glass.

36 minutes ago, Rickent said:

The wife is adamant that she never knocked it. I have heard of patio tables exploding in extreme heat but am at a loss as to why this happened.

I now have to find somewhere local to supply a piece of glass.

If it was already deeply scratched or had a chip on the edge then if it was hot at one end and cold at the other then the additional stress would not need much of a bend or bump to cause it to fail.

The window was against the wall and there was a bottle of frozen water in front of a fan at one end that was quite close to the glass , maybe this might have caused it, sounds plausible.

1 hour ago, Richard T said:

Try Quorn glass in Loughborough http://www.quornglass.co.uk

Cheers Richard, already looked at their website , will call them tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Try Quorn glass in Loughborough http://www.quornglass.co.uk

If you want to replace it with toughened it might take a week as it has to be cut to size and shape first & then go off to be toughened. Laminated you might get it off the shelf, take the frame as template. How about the original window manufacturer, presumably they already have glass to size. 

Steve 

8 minutes ago, sharpness said:

If you want to replace it with toughened it might take a week as it has to be cut to size and shape first & then go off to be toughened. Laminated you might get it off the shelf, take the frame as template. How about the original window manufacturer, presumably they already have glass to size. 

Steve 

I guess it depends on the glass place. I ordered 4 sealed units last Friday afternoon with toughened on one side and laminated on the other. They said they'd be ready tomorrow (Tuesday). 

And they don't work weekends. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I guess it depends on the glass place. I ordered 4 sealed units last Friday afternoon with toughened on one side and laminated on the other. They said they'd be ready tomorrow (Tuesday). 

And they don't work weekends. 

Absolutely, if they have a toughening plant then no problem, its only a big oven for heat treatment of the glass when cut to size.

Steve

Another consideration for the OP. Toughened will have smooth edges - they melt slightly during the toughening process. Laminated will have sharp edges unless you ask the glass place to smooth them.  

Hell shit! I take my hoppers out all the time (I am careful with them but also mortally clutzy so I won't be surprised if/when I break one) and they too are toughened glass. I thought toughened glass was just um, tougher? Like if it broke it would break in shards like (old?) house windows. I thought it was shatterproof glass that went all crazy paving like that.

Pl

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Another consideration for the OP. Toughened will have smooth edges - they melt slightly during the toughening process. Laminated will have sharp edges unless you ask the glass place to smooth them.  

Laminated will probably be to thick to go in the groove as it is 2 pieces of glass with a plastic film sandwiched between them.

Neil

7 hours ago, Starcoaster said:

I thought toughened glass was just um, tougher? Like if it broke it would break in shards like (old?) house windows. I thought it was shatterproof glass that went all crazy paving like that.

Three main types of glass:

• Ordinary window glass that breaks into lethal shards. 
  • Laminated, which has a sheet of plastic sandwiched between two panes. This breaks more or less as above but it all stays together in one piece, held together by the plastic. 
  • Toughened. If you wear polarised sunglasses you can see rainbow patterns in it. This breaks into small pieces which make a huge mess but are pretty safe. It has internal stresses and a tap on the edge can cause it to shatter. 

You can also get toughened laminated!

5 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

Laminated will probably be to thick to go in the groove as it is 2 pieces of glass with a plastic film sandwiched between them.

That all depends on the thickness of the original toughened, surely? Laminated is available in 6.4mm thickness. 

1 minute ago, Neil Smith said:

I would think 6mm plus in toughened would only be used on large glass areas like patio doors etc.

Ish, yes. I've just ordered 6.4mm laminated plus 4mm toughened for some sealed units for a dog box I'm making for Big Col and they're 824 x 357 each. 

As the glass is overhead the inside panes need to be laminated for safety. 

11 hours ago, Rickent said:

Have no idea who the original manufacturer is and they are a few years old I would imagine.

Looks like a Channel Glaze window from what i see!

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

My hoppers are only 4mm toughened, I would think 6mm plus in toughened would only be used on large glass areas like patio doors etc.

Neil.

We've got 8mm toughened in our shower screen at home :)

No idea why your glass should explode. I guess it was a sharp edge somewhere/somehow - typical of these special hammers for breaking safety glass. I doubt if it was 'heat' - Pyrex dishes of toughened glass will withstand extremes of heat.

My boat has laminated glass windows. Some were broken by stone throwing vandals. I replaced them with poly-carbonate plastic sheets (the windows, not he vandals) - a relatively simple cut-and-fit DIY job - albeit I had to drill out the rivets to remove the top horizontal glazing bar, and then 'bent' the plastic slightly to spring it into place. Solid glass would have meant totally dismantling the window frame from the boat. Using plastic I did it in situ.

More vandal-proof, but with a delicate surface prone to scratching so care is needed when cleaning - like with paintwork.

As an aside, i also have made a series of quick-fit covers to protect the windows when moored for long periods at home. Using bi-wall poly-carbonate rather than wood say - to let the light in.