Just starting to look......

Tawny75

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

I am sad enough to have rung the hire company to ask what the engine was and it is a Lister TS2, now if I can get a boat that sounds like that one did I will be a happy girl.

By the way, I know that is a very sad comment, my mechanical knowledge consists of 'suck, squeeze, bang, blow'  I just liked the sound of it.

I am going to go and hide my head in a bucket now.

Again, Dear Lady, that's a lot more knowledge than most folks.

I just found a video of a TS2 on Youtube and it does sound great at tickover, but at canal speeds they get a lot louder.

The engine on the sale boat looked like my SR2 on my home generator and that is very loud (it does run at a fixed 1500 rpm) whereas you will be running at 1,000 - 1,200 rpm).

• Greenie 1

Just now, OldGoat said:

Again, Dear Lady, that's a lot more knowledge than most folks.

I just found a video of a TS2 on Youtube and it does sound great at tickover, but at canal speeds they get a lot louder.

The engine on the sale boat looked like my SR2 on my home generator and that is very loud (it does run at a fixed 1500 rpm) whereas you will be running at 1,000 - 1,200 rpm).

You are quite right, it was very loud but in a good way!  We thought it would drive us mad, but when we were moored or walking by the canal and heard other boats we missed it.  They sounded so smooth and quiet.

7 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

You are quite right, it was very loud but in a good way!  We thought it would drive us mad, but when we were moored or walking by the canal and heard other boats we missed it.  They sounded so smooth and quiet.

When we first hired in most boats had Lister or Petter engines.  Running at 'hirers speed' they were noisy and lacking in power. When you want a bit of 'welly' to stop in a hurry they emit great clouds of soot. Later we discovered thanks to Teddesley Boat Co, the joys of not only water cooled engines but those with a water cooled exhaust as well. No fumes in locks and you can hear the cows lowing and farting, birds coughing as you progress. It's great coming up to the 'SLOW DOWN' mob without being shouted at - 'cos they can't hear you.

Still I defer to your wish for such an engine, they're very reliable and simple, if you can resolve the electricity issue (if there is one), then it may be good for you.

10 minutes ago, ianali said:

Abnb have an interesting boat for sale within your price range. No stove but as its a holiday boat your after that's not so much of a problem perhaps? Good builder.

Ian.

Please feel free to PM me details :)

Edited by Tawny75

So we went to look at boats today.  Going to Whilton Marina has definitely cemented our deal breakers when looking for a boat.  We definitely want a cruiser stern, getting down into the two trad stern boats we saw today was just difficult.  I am sure it is normal to step down literally on to the engine to get in to the boat but I did not like it at all.  At least now we know what we want though.

We then went to another couple of marinas and then to Crick.  We saw this boat http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3132web/3132abnb.php?BoatID=3132 I wonder if it was the one that @ianalisaw too?  It is a lovely boat, there are things we very much like but somethings seem odd.  It has two bathrooms.  One with a bath with shower over, porta potti toilet and sink, and then the very next room has a pump out toilet and sink.  It seems a bit of a waste to me to have two bathrooms in a boat that only sleeps 4.

I have a question, if we bought a boat like this and wanted to remove one bathroom, is this easily done?  For instance, if we wanted to take out a pump out toilet, is this something that can be done or does the shower, sinks etc all drain in to it too?

Thanks again for all advice and help, I really do appreciate it.

34 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

So we went to look at boats today.  Going to Whilton Marina has definitely cemented our deal breakers when looking for a boat.  We definitely want a cruiser stern, getting down into the two trad stern boats we saw today was just difficult.  I am sure it is normal to step down literally on to the engine to get in to the boat but I did not like it at all.  At least now we know what we want though.

We then went to another couple of marinas and then to Crick.  We saw this boat http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3132web/3132abnb.php?BoatID=3132 I wonder if it was the one that @ianalisaw too?  It is a lovely boat, there are things we very much like but somethings seem odd.  It has two bathrooms.  One with a bath with shower over, porta potti toilet and sink, and then the very next room has a pump out toilet and sink.  It seems a bit of a waste to me to have two bathrooms in a boat that only sleeps 4.

I have a question, if we bought a boat like this and wanted to remove one bathroom, is this easily done?  For instance, if we wanted to take out a pump out toilet, is this something that can be done or does the shower, sinks etc all drain in to it too?

Thanks again for all advice and help, I really do appreciate it.

Step down - that's very off-putting; My engine sits underneath boards that you can walk over, I thought that was what everybody does. Otherwise you've got to crawl round the sides. I agree with you!!

Basins, sinks, showers should drain overboard; the latter via a pump.

I'm a bit unsure how the pumpout loo 'works' the plinth looks quite low for me. (Mine are plastic an sit between two cross members - to give good capacity). Usual practice is to weld up a tank in situ, so it can be a pain to remove as well as destroying the decoration. Less of a problem to remove a porta pottti and wash basin, but then you've got to match the rest of the linings and can be a mess unless you can match the materials.

It's lovely to have two loos. I slum it in the 'engineers' quarters'  and The Management has the other with large bowl, ditto basin and sunken bath. It's 6 foot wide (the bathroom, no the bath.

Edit: What would you do with the space gained? the pumpout  and basin are along the side, some of the space amidships is taken up by a cupboard and all in less than 4 1/2 feet. You could remove the dressing table, end wall and door - but again what would you do with it? Office?

It's quite a long rear deck - taking a lot of your overall length. If you want a nice cruiser stern (and why not) you out to have a boat a (little) bit bigger.

Stowe Hill used to be considered quite posh in my early days before the rivet-squad bought out their boats. 

Edited by OldGoat

On 22/06/2017 at 20:23, lulu fish said:

It doesn't look like a Hancock and Lane at all

Unlikely that the broker would put their reputation on the line by advertising an old boat as a new

Similarly, they wouldn't advertise a boat as being 10mm if it was actually original 4.8 overplated with 5mm.  

Even if they would have advertised as 9.8 mm it wouldn't have been the real plate thickness, as only the outer plate counts with an ultra son tester.

Peter.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Step down - that's very off-putting; My engine sits underneath boards that you can walk over, I thought that was what everybody does. Otherwise you've got to crawl round the sides. I agree with you!!

Basins, sinks, showers should drain overboard; the latter via a pump.

I'm a bit unsure how the pumpout loo 'works' the plinth looks quite low for me. (Mine are plastic an sit between two cross members - to give good capacity). Usual practice is to weld up a tank in situ, so it can be a pain to remove as well as destroying the decoration. Less of a problem to remove a porta pottti and wash basin, but then you've got to match the rest of the linings and can be a mess unless you can match the materials.

It's lovely to have two loos. I slum it in the 'engineers' quarters'  and The Management has the other with large bowl, ditto basin and sunken bath. It's 6 foot wide (the bathroom, no the bath.

Edit: What would you do with the space gained? the pumpout  and basin are along the side, some of the space amidships is taken up by a cupboard and all in less than 4 1/2 feet. You could remove the dressing table, end wall and door - but again what would you do with it? Office?

It's quite a long rear deck - taking a lot of your overall length. If you want a nice cruiser stern (and why not) you out to have a boat a (little) bit bigger.

Stowe Hill used to be considered quite posh in my early days before the rivet-squad bought out their boats. 

Remember that the trad stern design is a copy of old working boats where the position of the engine isn't a consideration in terms of access to the cabin. Modern trads with boxed engines under the step can present restricted access to the cabin.

In terms of what to do with the space from taking out the toilet and single beds I would have thought a fixed double would have been the obvious thing. It would need to sit forward of where the two singles are positioned.

JP

Well today we had a marvellous day at the Braunston Festival and then we went boat looking again.  We found one at Ringstead Marina, it is not ready yet as it is being fitted out by the owner, we will have another look when he has finished and then see where we go from there.

We are very much enjoying all of this looking and we have only been at it for one weekend!!!

24 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

Could you all cast your eye on this and let me know thoughts please?

http://www.tingdeneboatsales.net/boat-spec?BoatID=6270946

I like the inside of it, but as I am learning, that is only cosmetic....

The age, the overplating and the air cooled engine beneath your feet are the factors that limit the sale price.

However, if the overplating is done to a good standard and the engine has been well maintained and can you live with the noise then there may be a decent boat for the money here. A bit of due diligence is required. Also compare it to those you have seen in terms of what you get for the money.

JP

12 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Have we seen this boat before on the forum recently?

Swedish sauna springs to mind for me.

Yep, I posted it further up the thread!  What a doof I am, ignore me I will go and sit in the corner.  Him indoors sent it me, I thought it looked familiar too.........

53 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

Okay, here is another, again I am getting ideas of what to look out for, this says it has a reconditioned engine, is that good or bad?

https://www.apolloduck.com/advert.phtml?id=523752

Looks like it has a fibreglass cabin. Sometimes there is a problem of leakage beyween the hull and superstructure with these.

Looks like an ex hire boat.

No date given , but probably dates from the 1970s. Lister SR engines were pretty standard on these, although at 45 ft I would have perhaps expected a SR2 rather than SR3, so may not be the original engine.  These engines are pretty bomb proof if looked after (and often if not), so should be good for a few years yet. But they aren't the quietest of engines to have under your feet on a cruiser stern, and are a bit unrefined compared with more modern offerings.

£30k looks to be 'London pricing' to me.

• Greenie 1

Once again, thank you all for the tips, I have made copious notes.

This is another we have seen http://vcmarine.co.uk/boat-sales/suzane-melody-cleethorpes-13m-42ft-cruiser-stern-narrowboat/  Now, it says it was last surveyed in 2013, we will of course not buy a boat without a new survey, but is there anything here that screams, run Nicky Run?

On 6/19/2017 at 17:22, Athy said:

I'm sure that you are absolutely correct - but the apparently innocuous term can cover a multitude of sins.

And virtually always does. If it was an easy fix-up the seller would have done it themselves, and sold it as a finished boat.

One can be pretty sure the time, effort and cost needed on any 'project boat' will be far in excess of how it first appears. 

15 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

Once again, thank you all for the tips, I have made copious notes.

This is another we have seen http://vcmarine.co.uk/boat-sales/suzane-melody-cleethorpes-13m-42ft-cruiser-stern-narrowboat/  Now, it says it was last surveyed in 2013, we will of course not buy a boat without a new survey, but is there anything here that screams, run Nicky Run?

I don't think there is. VC are reputable brokers (used to be the formidable Virginia Currer, now run by her widower). Boat appears to have been well enjoyed, comfy, scruffy but sound, good inventory (FOUR leisure batteries!?!), two heating methods. Decent modern engine. Never heard of the builder, perhaps someone else has.

Price reflects condition (paint pots and big needles required!) and is just about reasonable I would think.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I don't think there is. VC are reputable brokers (used to be the formidable Virginia Currer, now run by her widower). Boat appears to have been well enjoyed, comfy, scruffy but sound, good inventory (FOUR leisure batteries!?!), two heating methods. Decent modern engine. Never heard of the builder, perhaps someone else has.

Price reflects condition (paint pots and big needles required!) and is just about reasonable I would think.

What a lot of stuff crammed (meant kindly) into a smallish boat. Quite a large user od 'leccy - hence the four leisure batteries - but then I noticed the generator on the back, but IIRC it was not mentioned in the specification. "personal items will be removed" - could cover all sorts of items?

horrible cratch cover and pram hood at the rear. Seems strange to have been reblacked, but no effort taken to paint up to the gunnels - doesn't need a boat painter to make a reasonable job on that.

I noticed the cranked stove pipe - you hardly ever see one of those, most folks fit a horrible leaning arrangement which always look like a bodge - so this one gets a brownie point.

I'm of the old school varnished wood enthusiast - but it's not to modern taste - could always cover everything in white, I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

What a lot of stuff crammed (meant kindly) into a smallish boat. Quite a large user od 'leccy - hence the four leisure batteries - but then I noticed the generator on the back, but IIRC it was not mentioned in the specification. "personal items will be removed" - could cover all sorts of items?

horrible cratch cover and pram hood at the rear. Seems strange to have been reblacked, but no effort taken to paint up to the gunnels - doesn't need a boat painter to make a reasonable job on that.

I noticed the cranked stove pipe - you hardly ever see one of those, most folks fit a horrible leaning arrangement which always look like a bodge - so this one gets a brownie point.

I'm of the old school varnished wood enthusiast - but it's not to modern taste - could always cover everything in white, I suppose. 

Yes, my reference to "big needle" was in relation to the cratch cover and pram hood, which do appear to need a bit of sewing. Personally I'd get rid of them both.

Yes, it will look much more spacious when the personal effects (which I assume include the jenny) have been removed.

The internal woodwork helps create the cosy look of the boat. I certainly would not repaint it in white, which would look antiseptic and cold, but perhaps paint of a warmer colour wouldn't look too bad.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Yes, my reference to "big needle" was in relation to the cratch cover and pram hood, which do appear to need a bit of sewing. Personally I'd get rid of them both.

Yes, it will look much more spacious when the personal effects (which I assume include the jenny) have been removed.

The internal woodwork helps create the cosy look of the boat. I certainly would not repaint it in white, which would look antiseptic and cold, but perhaps paint of a warmer colour wouldn't look too bad.

I rechecked the spec: and it stated "Generator Yes", but still worth confirming, otherwise it needs a solution. As usual no pics of the engine area or electric panels (if any).

My comment of 'white' was tongue in cheek as most / many boats on here have bland white interiors.

A washing machine in a bathroom is not the best arrangement; don't splash when in the 'bath'...

15 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I rechecked the spec: and it stated "Generator Yes", but still worth confirming, otherwise it needs a solution. As usual no pics of the engine area or electric panels (if any).

My comment of 'white' was tongue in cheek as most / many boats on here have bland white interiors.

A washing machine in a bathroom is not the best arrangement; don't splash when in the 'bath'...

If we bought a boat with a washing machine on it then I would remove it to have more storage space.  We do not intend to live aboard so have no need of a washing machine anyway.

15 hours ago, Athy said:

I hate pram covers myself, I see them on boats all the time and unless they are in really good condition they look horrible.  Kind of like an awning on a caravan, a good one is a compliment but a bad one makes it look awful.

I quite like the wood in the older boats, maybe it is the traditionalist in me.  I make quilts, cushions and even curtains at a push so I can make some to compliment it.  I agree white does seem very clinical but again, we would live with it and decide what to do.

See I am not sure about the generator, is it really needed on a boat for weekends and holidays? Surely if you are cruising most of the day as we do, then the batteries will be charged enough?