Representation

Featured Posts

Could we have the site rules amended to stipulate that no representative of any organisation is permitted to join the site with a member name corresponding to any acronym of that organisation? 

This would allow for persons that are not "representatives" to use those acronyms either by accident or on purpose without fear of misleading the general public.

Sorry, I don't understand this! Surely if a representative of BB Hireboats wants to post here, it would be logical for he/she to use that as a user name, rather than Jo Blogs!

If someone used "BB Hireboats" as a user name, I think they would be assumed to have something to do with the company, whatever the rule.

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Could we have the site rules amended to stipulate that no representative of any organisation is permitted to join the site with a member name corresponding to any acronym of that organisation? 

This would allow for persons that are not "representatives" to use those acronyms either by accident or on purpose without fear of misleading the general public.

... or we could just ignore Murflynn's rant!

Surely this should be looked at on an individual basis rather than having a blanket rule? I.e. if there is a member who has a username which is misleading other users, then it would be worthwhile to submit a report. 

In any case; If a user registers with a username with intent to advertise and/or promote a business without prior permission from the site owner, then they would be in violation of the site rules.

RichM

On 18 June 2017 at 19:43, Iain_S said:

Sorry, I don't understand this! Surely if a representative of BB Hireboats wants to post here, it would be logical for he/she to use that as a user name, rather than Jo Blogs!

At first sight you might think so, but:

• we could get a mixture of representatives of businesses and non-supporters of businesses using a name of of a business which would be confusing.
  • how do we cope with a member taking up a business name before that business can get it?
  • how do we cope with a member who purports to be a representative and isn't?
On 18 June 2017 at 19:43, Iain_S said:

If someone used "BB Hireboats" as a user name, I think they would be assumed to have something to do with the company, ...

Exactly the problem

... whatever the rule.

But a rule would give the mods a clear framework on which to act to remove any misleading aspects.

Either there such be a prohibition on unconnected persons using "BB Hireboats" or on connected persons using it. 

Obviously the world will end if we don't resolve this.