Broken solar panel

Johny London

Featured Posts

When I received my two solar panels, one was broken - the glass smashed all over though still in place. I have received the replacement so no problem there - but I'm wondering what to do with the busted one, seems a pity to just chuck it in the bin. I haven't tested to see if it still has output, but if it does I'm sure it wouldn't be long before water ingresses.

11 minutes ago, Johny London said:

When I received my two solar panels, one was broken - the glass smashed all over though still in place. I have received the replacement so no problem there - but I'm wondering what to do with the busted one, seems a pity to just chuck it in the bin. I haven't tested to see if it still has output, but if it does I'm sure it wouldn't be long before water ingresses.

Chuck it in the bin - as a boater you will 'hoard' enough 'JIC' stuff.

Edit to avoid confusion - JIC is NOT 'John Innes Compost' nor is it 'Joint Intelligence Committee' - it is JUST IN CASE.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Clarification

7 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Ebay

Are these the 150w panels you discussed elsewhere? 

If so may not be cost effective to repair as you can get a decent 175w from bimble's  for £68.

To repair it you would probably have to pay more than that for the glass and encapsulate. 

The ideal repair would be to use a sheet of Pilkingtons Optiwhite glass and an encapsulate such as Sylgaurd, Qsil216 or Qsil215. None of which are particularly cheap. 

Alternatively you could just lay a sheet of normal toughened glass over the top of the broken panel. This will reduce the power of the panel but may give some useful extra input. 

Obviously all depends on your circumstances e.g. Roof space, need for extra wiring and controler etc

May be worth going the second option if you intend to add other panels at a later date as then you would already have the extra wiring and controler in place. 

Good luck with it any way you decide

ETA

Just watched the video, personally I think that was a waste of bandwidth IMHO can't see sellotape lasting very long in either sunlight or rain but heh ho

Edited by reg
Just watched the video

14 minutes ago, reg said:

Just watched the video, personally I think that was a waste of bandwidth IMHO can't see sellotape lasting very long in either sunlight or rain but heh ho

That was just the first one I came to. In the OPs case I think this is a freebee that has been replaced by the seller

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That was just the first one I came to. In the OPs case I think this is a freebee that has been replaced by the seller

Appreciate that the problem with some of the YouTube videos is that they were made when it may of been cost effective to effect a repair. with the, very welcome, downward spiral in solar panel costs they may have lost some of their relevance. 

For example I made my first solar panel about 8 years ago of 200w and the material costs came to approx £440 without wiring and controller. Have just replaced it with 2x175w panels for £173 including delivery. 

8 years ago there were many DIY make your own solar panel references on tinternet nowadays there are far fewer and materials are harder to source. 

its like any modern technology is better to replace or repair

In this case the OP has, as you point out, essentially a Freebie so any of the options may be valid, just think the cellophane one may be the least valid. 

My particular preference would be to sit a sheet of cheap toughened glass on top of it. But then I don't know all the circumstances e.g roof space etc

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

My largest panel 240w was a freebie as the glass was completely shattered. It's been on top now for 3 winters and still works perfectly.

And that also is a valid option. 

The solar encapsulant used to cover the connected solar cells is pretty tough stuff and very water resistant.