Solar panel connecting

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hi.  Is it common to connect 2 solar panels in series....so

Controller negative to Panel 1 negative.

Panel 1 postive to Panel 2 negative.

Panel 2 postive to Controller positive.

I ask because I'm pretty sure this is how mine were connected, before a storm disconnected them...

My panels are 230Watts each... and I had 2 panels connected to an MPTT controller. I'm pretty convinced they weren't in parrallel. 95% sure.........but thought I would check with you lot.

10 hours ago, DeanS said:

Is it common to connect 2 solar panels in series...

Yes. 

It's also common to have them connected in parallel. 

Series has the advantage that (as long as the combined voltage is below the controller's max) they will give a better output in low light. 

Parallel has the advantage that (depending on the configuration of the panels and their diodes) they may give a better output if one panel is in shade. 

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes. 

It's also common to have them connected in parallel. 

Series has the advantage that (as long as the combined voltage is below the controller's max) they will give a better output in low light. 

Parallel has the advantage that (depending on the configuration of the panels and their diodes) they may give a better output if one panel is in shade. 

Does sound like series is better during non summer months when light is more reflected by clouds so shade is reduced, and parallel in summer as you are more likely to get a harsh shade, although you more than likely get enough daylight for your needs anyhow.

I presume for the confusion to have arisen in the first place, you must have a pair of wires from each panel brought back to a common place by the controller? So it would be easy to arrange them series or parallel. How about a switch arrangement to choose which way you want? (ie summer/winter).

When I do mine they will be wired from panel to panel (series) so only two wires will come all the way back to the controller. I plan on two pairs of series connected.