Featured Posts

Ok first time I've done a post so dunno if in right place, never mind.was moored on the L&L at Cherry Tree moorings between bridges 94-95 3 days back,we were warned that another boat had had it's ropes undone early morning ,twice. so we made certain ours were untiable,so no probs but were awakened at 3am second night by some waster trying to pinch our bike,worth in the region of £5 but as this has happened to us before at Trong we had it locked on with anchor chain.Ok only worth a fiver but a nuisance to replace and a lot more than a fiver to replace,so beware stopping overnight there.Oh they did nick a football ,value £1.

One method to stop de scrots untiing you completely when your on pins is to knock two pins at 90°+ to each other and padlock together with your chain/cable to boat.   Also helps prevent the pins coming out when boats pass to quickly.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

One method to stop de scrots untiing you completely when your on pins is to knock two pins at 90°+ to each other and padlock together with your chain/cable to boat.   Also helps prevent the pins coming out when boats pass to quickly.

Read that three times, still dont get it! 

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Great tip!

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

Didn't stop my pins being ripped out using this method, along with a large chunk of earth on the K&A last week. Good job we were on the bottom so did not move far.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Read that three times, still dont get it! 

If you knock one pin as you would do normally, and then another at a 90° angle to the first one, pad lock the rings together then you can't pull out the pin due to the other one stopping it.

8 hours ago, Robbo said:

If you knock one pin as you would do normally, and then another at a 90° angle to the first one, pad lock the rings together then you can't pull out the pin due to the other one stopping it.

Ah, i understand. You mean 90 degrees with respect to the boat and the first pin. 

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ah, i understand. You mean 90 degrees with respect to the boat and the first pin. 

Just 90 degrees with respect to the other pin.

So if the first pin is hammered in at say 45 degrees with the head pointing away from the boat the second pin is hammered in at 45 degrees with the head towards the boat. 

Just now, WotEver said:

Just 90 degrees with respect to the other pin.

So if the first pin is hammered in at say 45 degrees with the head pointing away from the boat the second pin is hammered in at 45 degrees with the head towards the boat. 

Oh, so i didn't understand :huh:

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Oh, so i didn't understand :huh:

Think of the two pins as I described above. Both of the heads are in the same place and padlocked together but the pins are pointing in opposite directions so they are difficult (impossible in firm ground) to remove. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Think of the two pins as I described above. Both of the heads are in the same place and padlocked together but the pins are pointing in opposite directions so they are difficult (impossible in firm ground) to remove. 

Got it, ta. 

15 hours ago, patricia elizabeth said:

were awakened at 3am second night by some waster trying to pinch our bike,worth in the region of £5 but as this has happened to us before at Trong we had it locked on with anchor chain.

What you describe is my worst nightmare; having my boat/stuff interfered with in the dead of night.

I installed a set of ultrasonic reversing parking sensors on my car a couple of years back. I had bought these from eBay for about a tenner, and not only are the sensors set off by solid objects at the back of the car, they are triggered by people walking behind the car when I’m reversing. (Example here, but other sets are available: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Rear-Reversing-4-Sensors-Reverse-Backup-Parking-LED-Display-Buzzer-Alarm-Kit-/172491469238?hash=item28294af1b6:g:nLQAAOSwo4pYfxXz).

In areas where a boater might be concerned that their property or moored boat might be interfered with, I could envisage a temporary installation of these sensors on the roof pointing towards to the towpath. As sold for automotive applications, each sensor (in a typical set of four) is designed to go in a 21mm diameter hole on the car’s ‘bumper’, but there’s no need to drill holes through your boat’s superstructure. I suspect a temporary fitting could be made, perhaps just using PVC tape to stop them dropping into the cut!

I have no information how these electronics might perform if left powered up overnight, nor do I have any information on their current consumption; so, some experimentation would be needed. However, at less than a tenner a set, it might be worth a punt for a DIY miscreant detector!!

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

But a sharp knife makes quick work of your mooring lines and leaves the pins un-touched.

A few years ago there was a spate of 'mooring-line' cutting at Chester - just a quick slash as they walked past and job done - no noise, nothing to wake you up until you hit something.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But a sharp knife makes quick work of your mooring lines and leaves the pins un-touched.

A few years ago there was a spate of 'mooring-line' cutting at Chester - just a quick slash as they walked past and job done - no noise, nothing to wake you up until you hit something.

That's why I said padlock together with chain/cable to the boat.

6 minutes ago, Robbo said:

That's why I said padlock together with chain/cable to the boat.

Its getting to be a poor state of affairs when we have to carry 2x 20 metres lengths of chain, padlocks and twice as many pins as we need.

Battery powered angle grinders are now easily available, bolt-croppers similarly - where do you stop ?

I think there is a lot of scaremongering going on - in all my years I have never been cut / untied / set adrift.

In reality - how often does it happen ?

Edit : Correction.

I have had an anchor 'drag' whilst at sea - does that count as Neptune interfering with my lines ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its getting to be a poor state of affairs when we have to carry 2x 20 metres lengths of chain, padlocks and twice as many pins as we need.

Battery powered angle grinders are now easily available, bolt-croppers similarly - where do you stop ?

I think there is a lot of scaremongering going on - in all my years I have never been cut / untied / set adrift.

In reality - how often does it happen ?

Edit : Correction.

I have had an anchor 'drag' whilst at sea - does that count as Neptune interfering with my lines ?

I regularly lock up (actually I just drop my anchor as it's harder to get too) when on the river as I've seen a few set free and you only need a few meters of chain or cable.  On a canal I don't bother but I do use the two pin method to moor up as it does hold better in softer ground (although I don't padlock I just use the rope).

And a angle grinder is very noticeable!

2 hours ago, sans allumette said:

In areas where a boater might be concerned that their property or moored boat might be interfered with, I could envisage a temporary installation of these sensors on the roof pointing towards to the towpath. As sold for automotive applications, each sensor (in a typical set of four) is designed to go in a 21mm diameter hole on the car’s ‘bumper’, but there’s no need to drill holes through your boat’s superstructure. I suspect a temporary fitting could be made, perhaps just using PVC tape to stop them dropping into the cut!

I have no information how these electronics might perform if left powered up overnight, nor do I have any information on their current consumption; so, some experimentation would be needed. However, at less than a tenner a set, it might be worth a punt for a DIY miscreant detector!!

And jump out of bed in a panic every time someone or some thing walks past. I have a light with a sensor like many people outside my house. I often notice that its on in the middle of the night, bloody glad its not connected to a buzzer. 

A few years back we were moored in middlewitch one of :-)three boats, in the morning one boat complained of being set adrift in the night. His mooring technique was interesting, a rope wrapped several times round a ring and then wrapped back on itself, it looked impressive but was not any recognised knot I have ever come across. With the tangle on the shore any drunk could easily access it, or it may have simply untwisted.

I always loop through the shore ring or pins and tie the end on the boat, preferably offside at the stern. Doesn't stop the knife trick though.