Dunchurch pools marina coming along

Bewildered

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 'stop planks / barrage' across the entrance doesn't seem to be very effective.

I'm sure they are. The marina has been flooded for the stilling test to check for leaks. Once that's been done, they can pull the stop planks.

There's an awful lot of marina there, around 500 berths, is it? Note the entrance is wide enough for widebeams, despite being on a narrow canal...

13 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Note the entrance is wide enough for widebeams, despite being on a narrow canal...

Have you seen what the narrow entrances look like after a couple of years of people trying to turn in?

17 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Note the entrance is wide enough for widebeams, despite being on a narrow canal...

If it's between Hillmorton and Braunston (and I think it is?) then wide beams can get to it - not full 14 foot but a lot wider than 7.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you seen what the narrow entrances look like after a couple of years of people trying to turn in?

Also very true!

The digger in the 3rd photo was busy removing the last of the towpath in front of the entrance as we passed this morning.

I especially liked the sign as we approached the works that said

Dead Slow Men in Water.

you don't get to see a sign like that often, was disappointed as there were no men in water. If I was in the water I would be dead slow too, its bloody freezing.;)

what sort of prices for Moorings seeing as Barby is not full ?.Braunston will be a nightmare and all the quite country moorings when this is completed have CRT done a rethink on moorings and better mooring on Puddlebanks like rings at correct spacings.

1 hour ago, Bewildered said:

There was a diversion in place when we passed by last October, however now I suspect it goes a long way around to get around the back of the marina

We noticed the towpath diversion when we went past in April, so there would be nothing to stop the towpath being excavated as it has not been used there for some time.

8 hours ago, Starcoaster said:

Possibly not totally on topic?? But this is another marina that has said they will have a no cat policy due to their wildlife landscaping... May be of interest to anyone with a cat looking for a mooring there!

I've heard they will allow unicorns

9 hours ago, Starcoaster said:

Possibly not totally on topic?? But this is another marina that has said they will have a no cat policy due to their wildlife landscaping... May be of interest to anyone with a cat looking for a mooring there!

That makes it more attractive in my opinion, fed up with neighbours cat being sick on my counter and dragging it's claws up and down my cratch cover and my shiny paint job.

• Greenie 1

Many times i hear of planning consent being given and a condition sweetener is some money spent in the area on say a village hall .Well what have CRT asked for as part of their involvement ? Ok under NAA they will receive some more income but against that is the loss of 10% of boat capacity long term moorings in the area.

12 hours ago, john6767 said:

We noticed the towpath diversion when we went past in April, so there would be nothing to stop the towpath being excavated as it has not been used there for some time.

I walked along that towpath only 2 or 3 weeks and it was definitely still in use. 

There was a footpath across from the canal to the village from the bridge near the marina entrance before the land was fenced off for digging out. I believe the diversion was in respect of that footpath, not in respect of the towpath.

8 hours ago, Martyndj said:

Anyone know when it's due to open? I thought it originally was due to open in "the spring"

Had a Facebook picture from a friend yesterday which seemed to inply that she was already moored in there.

Tim 

Their website gives no news or pricing details ? i am a live aboard who is away from marina each summer so would i be allowed  No clubhouse that needs customers all year ?

Visited the site last year, no mention of not allowing cats they know we have two, can't remember mooring costs. We livaboard and cruise all summer not a problem to them. Biggest problem for us is lack of signal for O2 and Three, so decided not to go.

4 minutes ago, b0atman said:

But marina has wifi ?

anyone found a marina where the wifi works without involving boosters to transmit signal into the boat.

And is affordable to use, my experience is it is cheaper to use a MiFi.

54 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

And is affordable to use, my experience is it is cheaper to use a MiFi.

Agree and how secure is marina WiFi have and won't use one

They definitely had a pricing page on their website not long ago-If I recall correctly you pay by pontoon length and the options are 57ft or 72ft at £1,500 or £2k per annum respectively. Sorry I cannot recall if that includes VAT, and as the page has now been removed, it may no longer be accurate!

• Greenie 1

On 6/16/2017 at 18:08, Bewildered said:

The digger in the 3rd photo was busy removing the last of the towpath in front of the entrance as we passed this morning.

I especially liked the sign as we approached the works that said

Dead Slow Men in Water.

you don't get to see a sign like that often, was disappointed as there were no men in water. If I was in the water I would be dead slow too, its bloody freezing.;)

There were two or three men in the water when I passed the other day. I liked that sign too!

They were right in, up to about chest height, installing the bank reinforcement bang opposite the entrance. (In preparation for it to be regularly hit, presumably!)