Lidl Next Weeks "Special"

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

• Powerful, portable generator that uses inverter technology to provide power for electrically sensitive devices such as televisions, stereos or computers
  • Durable 4-stroke OHV petrol engine with reliable pull starter
  • Eco-function with automatic rotation speed reduction at low power loads
  • Automatic power switch-off on overload
  • Safety shutdown and start protection with low oil level
  • Non-slip anti-vibration pads
  • Max. power output (W): 1,200
  • Continuous power (W): 1,000
  • Voltage control: Digital Inverter
  • Nominal output voltage (V): 230
  • Nominal current rating (A): 4.3
  • Fuel consumption (L/hr): 0.68 (at 2/3 load)
  • Fuel tank capacity approx. (L): 4.5
  • £129

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=4006

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:
  • Powerful, portable generator that uses inverter technology to provide power for electrically sensitive devices such as televisions, stereos or computers
  • £129

You forgot to add the 3 year warranty.

Good call! We use this (or a product like it) on our garden gates at home, being too idle busy to spend time sanding off the rust, and the tin is almost empty. Time to skedaddle to Aldidl.

8 minutes ago, AllanC said:

But how useful/good is the generator likely to be? Factual evidence, opinions or guestimates appreciated.

Don't know - but it would run a 50-60 amp battery charger OK, so for £129 investment it could save you running the 'main engine'.

MAYBE - would even run the immersion heater, almost certainly power up (most DIY) electric drills etc.

However - the 'old problems' of :

Where do you store it (run it dry and 'under the bed') ?

Where do you store the petrol ?

If I didn't already have 3 generators (one on each boat and one at the house) I'd be sorely tempted.

On 2017-6-15 at 21:53, Alan de Enfield said:
  • £129

No details about dB output measured at a specific load & distance. I bet it's a noisy little fekker!

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No details about dB output measured at a specific load & distance. I bet it's a noisy little fekker!

I not so sure -I bought one of Aldi's 'last' generators (a 2.2Kw max) and whilst it is definitely 'no Honda' it is pretty much comparable to my Kipor.

At £129 against best part of £800 for a Honda I'd accept a 'bit of noise'

Edit : And the Honda is just 900w.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I not so sure -I bought one of Aldi's 'last' generators (a 2.2Kw max) and whilst it is definitely 'no Honda' it is pretty much comparable to my Kipor.

At £129 again best part of £800 for a Honda I'd accept a 'bit of noise'

When it comes to generators and the trade off between noise and price, I know that many people make their decision based on price and accept it's going to be noisy. The only trouble is that their neighbours never had a say in that decision and just have to accept the noise too. 

Still, if it's no noisier than a Kippor perhaps it's ok.

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

When it comes to generators and the trade off between noise and price, I know that many people make their decision based on price and accept it's going to be noisy. The only trouble is that their neighbours never had a say in that decision and just have to accept the noise too. 

100% agree.

However - the previous Aldi one is vey little different to my Kipor - neither can be heard more than a few yards away and then its just a 'burble'. Noise travels well over water - particularly in the quiet of the evening and I appreciate how noisy even a 'slilent' genny can be.

Obviously not a expert in this field and realize there are cooling/exhaust implications but is it not possible to have a acoustic "fabric " type cover. Am I correct in assuming it is the exhaust that causes the majority of the noise? Could a modified silencer be fitted although if memory serves me is the exhaust system in an engine  part of the combustion process?

I saw one guy with a gennie with an open ended lined box - so basically a tunnel - over his gennie, whilst it probably did not absorb the noise as such, it was quite effective in directing the noise directly across the canal in one direction, and into the field in the other, it was fairly quiet along the tow path in both directions.  Though you would have to be careful that the hot cooling air/exhaust did not go into the engine intake etc, so I have no idea what this arrangement did to the life of his gennie, but walking along the towpath it seemed quite effective.

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:06, F DRAYKE said:

You forgot to add the 3 year warranty.

I have a boating friend with an Aldi chainsaw. It's been replaced 3 time now under warranty despite the original sale being a good few years back.

34 minutes ago, pearley said:

I have a boating friend with an Aldi chainsaw. It's been replaced 3 time now under warranty despite the original sale being a good few years back.

The Aldi chainsawa are resonable for occasional use but the recoil start is weak and the bar fitted is stupidly big, in fact makes the saw dangerous to handle in my opinion

On 16/06/2017 at 05:08, LadyG said:

and this might be handy https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=4004 

black paint: UV and rust resistant, aparently

Seems good. Save having to paint the whole boat with blacking. But who am I to comment. If I had a metal gate then I would certainly paint it with this stuff.