Use of land beyond towpath opposite boat

Bradley332

Featured Posts

Thanks for all of your replies. It does seem a little vague. I have been in touch with CRT to try and get some more clarity.

A friend of mine used to live on a boat and she has said that fencing off/using land was most certainly not allowed.

I am surprised when I see areas of land fenced off and being used privately, whether for storage and/or seating/eating and so on - it doesn't seem right somehow.

I am wondering of the CRT take a lenient approach and don't "police" such situations?

Anyway, thanks again for your replies.

Just by way of an example of how things may not be what they seem...

last year whilst cruising we moored up in a quiet rural spot as you do and and about an hour later a cruiser pulled up and moored up about 5 yards away, with a couple of young lads on it and as I walked the dog I stopped to chat to them. It turned out the boat owner owned a small (maybe 1/2 an acre) plot of land next to the towpath where we had moored and liked to moor up and have a campfire and a few tinnies with his mates from time to time. As it looked like a bit of rough land I would have just assumed he was 'helping himself' had he not explained he owned the land.  I ended up quite envying his little bit of wilderness....