Type of anti freeze for radiators

Featured Posts

Have just come to top up the header tank for my radiators. Bit concerned as the stuff I keep is blue, ready mixed and says on it, "silicate", I know that different types of anti freeze should not be mixed. The stuff in my header tank is red but the bottled stuff I have is very blue! Any ideas what type is in my radiator system or how do I check?

2 hours ago, umpire111 said:

Have just come to top up the header tank for my radiators. Bit concerned as the stuff I keep is blue, ready mixed and says on it, "silicate", I know that different types of anti freeze should not be mixed. The stuff in my header tank is red but the bottled stuff I have is very blue! Any ideas what type is in my radiator system or how do I check?

To check what is in your central heating radiators, you could put the heating on, open up one of the bleed screws on a radiator, collect some coolant on a white tissue, or in a clear jar and see what colour it is, and then close the bleed screw. 

However, if the heating system has suffered corrosion in the past, the coolant may be black in colour, in which case you will need to drain out the coolant, flush the system out with clean water, and replace with a 25% mix of antifreeze to water of your choice.