Purchase is close

LadyG

Featured Posts

OK,

I am not sure if I have to survey, boat has just had a major professional re fit, ie not a lick of paint to cover the cracks.

I suspect if I offered cash today,, with no conditions, Id get a good boat tomorrow at 5K under asking price.

The asking price of a bit over £35K seems reasonable, the refit must have cost £10 to £15k

Its not a well known sales company [w.................]

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OK,

I am not sure if I have to survey, boat has just had a major professional re fit, ie not a lick of paint to cover the cracks.

I suspect if I offered cash today,, with no conditions, Id get a good boat tomorrow at 5K under asking price.

Its not a well known sales company [w.................]

Fingers, eyes and legs crossed!

Is this one of the boats which you have previously featured in these pages?

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Fingers, eyes and legs crossed!

Is this one of the boats which you have previously featured in these pages?

nope. 

It is a Colecraft

Survey 2012, ]5 years ago], is available.

Edited by LadyG

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OK,

No, you don't, but why wouldn't you, unless you think it will go quick. Have you cash waiting or is this still research? 

A five year old survey could be worthless. 

20 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

agreed. 

I can offer a discount price today, I accept and carry a risk.

If I   , survey ect etc, it will be less risk, but it will be £5K more

Edited by LadyG

Congratulations on selling your house (you did say that buying a boat was conditional on the house sale) - if you don't get this one will you be homeless ?

If you can buy it for £5K less without a survey - seller obviously has reservations ad he is building in a 'negotiation' factor for if you do have a survey and find £5k's worth of work needs doing.

Caveat Emptor

Edit fr missg lttrs

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I'd wonder why the seller would take £5k off (a big discount) for the sake of a couple of days and if the boat's a good 'un. Try offering a deposit and the discounted price subject to survey.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Congratulations on selling your house (you did say that buying a boat was conditional on the house sale) - if you don't get this one will you be homeless ?

Edit fr missg lttrs

I can back out of my sale, or drag my feet. 

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

agreed. 

I can offer a discount price today, I accept and carry a risk.

If I   , survey ect etc, it will be less risk, but it will be £5K more

You can get a discount and get a survey as well though.

If you are happy to risk £30k on a potential lemon though go for it.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I can back out of my sale, or drag my feet. 

And risk losing your buyer?

Why would you do that?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jo_ said:

I'd wonder why the seller would take £5k off (a big discount) for the sake of a couple of days and if the boat's a good 'un. Try offering a deposit and the discounted price subject to survey.

If he agrees to a price subject to survey, and the survey suggests £1K needs to bespent, he is lookig at a discount of £1j

I think his sale price expects £1950 off, so that he can take  a solid offer this week, or wait for an unknown buyer to give him £35 k t some unknown tme. 

So, I think, i am offering him cash today, no risk tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If he agrees to a price subject to survey, and the survey suggests £1K needs to bespent, he is lookig at a discount of £1j

I think his sale price expects £1950 off, so that he can take  a solid offer this week, or wait for an unknown buyer to give him £35 k t some unknown tme. 

So, I think, i am offering him cash today, no risk tomorrow.

Your numbers seem very specific!

How do you know he expects £1950 off?

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's all right then.

I was under the impression that the Scottish house buying / selling system was a little more formal than that.

if only, but this is not a standard house sale, it would be a cash transfer and the cash buyer gets a good discount, and a house, I get the cash, but less than  the market dictates..

Legalities are just legal hurdles,

55 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Your numbers seem very specific!

How do you know he expects £1950 off?

I know that he wants £35000, so he asks £36950

He has to pay broker commission, which might be £1500, so, the if vendor wants to sell, and I want to buy,  he might take the money. Could be an executor of a estate.

He can refuse of course and I can find another boat.

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, Jo_ said:

The above suggestion would be standard practice, nothing wrong with that.

Its not a couple of days. A cash deal today [well 20 days] v an offer subject to survey, ie the buyer can drop out for any reason. and more likely he will want a discount to pay for any essential work.

The vendor has to weigh up a £2k  drop in desired selling price when purchaser may drop out.

v  a quick sale at a fixed price.

27 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Just make sure you have a contingency fund if you buy cash without a survey. 

yes np. I have continengcy either way, ty

I am not buying any type of questionable project, and would have to be v unfortunaate to find something with glvanic corrosion, and I avoid things sitting in a marina on metal piles. There is always a risk, even with a survey.

Edited by LadyG

I would only buy something which looks like it was not a gamble

worse case scenario, i lose the lot, best case scenario. i double my money, both unlikely.

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

There's your answer, then, Walk away.

It loks like a super boat, why should I walk away, it could be surveyed today and still have a major problem tomorrow.

Essentially you are suggesting thevendor knows that a new buyer will come along next week,  pay him the full price, then in that case it is the vendor who is gambling, in my eyes.

Edited by LadyG