Purchase is close

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I think there are better boats available.

I am getting a few negative vibes, making me nervous....

If a  boat is in the water it should have a current BSC, am I right? 

Not all navigation authorities require a boat to have a BSSC.

I have one boat that needs a BSSC, and one boat that does not.

Having a BSSC does not necessarily make a boat any 'safer' than one without a BSSC

I bet you never had a BSSC on your sailing boat - did that burst into flames ?

Its in C&RT waters, and yes my boat had all the safety features reqd for offshore racing/whatever, not that that is relevant. 

Its an indication of due care and attention, I dont want a project, it should be ready to go, unless indicated.

Edited by LadyG

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

y

Because then you know it has a full one and you don't have to worry about it for four years?

If it fails the vendor puts the faults right at their cost?

Alternatively walk away and keep looking.

My gut feeling is that it should have a current BSSC when offered for sale with at least a 6-12 month carry over, but I think if I insist on everything I would like, the vendor is going to be less flexible about price/contract negotiation. 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

My gut feeling is that it should have a current BSSC when offered for sale with at least a 6-12 month carry over, but I think if I insist on everything I would like, the vendor is going to be less flexible about price/contract negotiation. 

I would have thought its a bit like a car with no mot, open to serious reduction in asking price. 

Some surveyors,  for example Craig Allen, http://craig-allen-marine.co.uk are fully qualified Boat Safety Scheme inspectors.

By using one of these surveyors, you can get a free BSS inspection, which will either alert you to any BSS failure issues (remember  BBC is like an MoT on a car, only valid at the time of issue, because people can and do change things after the inspection) or a new certificate valid for 4 years from date of issue.