Purchase is close

LadyG

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

why should I walk away

Because you are averse to a gamble (or that was my interpretation of your previous post). "Walk away" does not mean "pay the full price", it means "find another boat".

The refit (internal I presume) is largely immaterial. The state of the hull is what matters.

2 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I would trust my gut feeling, and I think LadyG should.

:)

agree :)

its the same with  any major purchase, in fact any purchase, from a pizza to palace, 

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I am puzzled as to what the discussion is about!   Lady G to me seems to have made her mind up before the OP.

je suis OP,

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

LadyG seems to have doubts -- or why bother to ask us opinionated old farts?

I like to make sure l have not missed something glaringly obvious, ty

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

agree :)

its the same with  any major purchase, in fact any purchase, from a pizza to palace, 

je suis OP,

I think Jerra used the initials in the sense of "Original Post" rather than "Poster".

I see nothing wrong or unusual about making a decision and then seeking approval for that decision from people with experience in that field.

EDITED TO ADD: my post and Jerra's collided, or rather coincided.

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Because you are averse to a gamble (or that was my interpretation of your previous post). "Walk away" does not mean "pay the full price", it means "find another boat".

I thought you meant walk away from this one, obviously the main thing is to find a boat, buy it and live happily ever after.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

If he agrees to a price subject to survey, and the survey suggests £1K needs to bespent, he is lookig at a discount of £1j

I think his sale price expects £1950 off, so that he can take  a solid offer this week, or wait for an unknown buyer to give him £35 k t some unknown tme. 

So, I think, i am offering him cash today, no risk tomorrow.

Our boat was up for £35k and we took a gamble (based on 1 year old survey) and got it for £29,000.  4 Years later we had a survey and the measurements were the same as the one we saw at the brokers, so for us it paid off.

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would only buy something which looks like it was not a gamble

worse case scenario, i lose the lot, best case scenario. i double my money, both unlikely.

Any one can tart something up to make it look better than it really is.

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I like to make sure l have not missed something glaringly obvious, ty

Yes, you have but whether there's any telling you or not is another matter.

There have been a number of people come to this forum, on Facebook and people I meet on the canal in recent times and said "it looks like a beautiful boat / it's had recent work done / it's not very old / my heart says yes". 

To them the best advice is if you're not experienced with boats get a survey. A fair few of them have been back reporting serious problems. 
Against that there are the people who say "I never get a survey" or "surveyors can be crap too". They are generally people who know a bit about boats.

The number that end up in dock with £10k quotes is astonishing.

If you think you can tell the condition of 10 year metal that's been sat around in a stagnant ditch without seeing it, measuring it or hitting it with a hammer then you're clever than most.

I have been boating for donkey's years. I wouldn't buy any boat that I didn't personally know without seeing it out of the water, not ever.

The boat's going to cost you £35,000, a hull survey will cost you £500. It's a no-brainer.

so, I'll say it once. Get a survey.

Edited by hounddog
  • Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

Our boat was up for £35k and we took a gamble (based on 1 year old survey) and got it for £29,000.  4 Years later we had a survey and the measurements were the same as the one we saw at the brokers, so for us it paid off.

Our boat was for sale for £38k and was 5 years old , this was 9 years ago. The boat was a brokers stock boat.  After much haggling we agreed on a price of £35k on the understanding that they fixed anything that the survey highlighted.  The survey found many mainly small items that were all fixed. When we later got a paper copy of the receipt for these works the parts and labour totalled over £3k. 

Had we not had the survey we would have had to do these works.  The survey cost  £450 . It saved us a lot of money.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I would be offering £30k cash with no survey if I thought it was the right boat and had no suspicions that the seller was trying to hide anything.

I would be going in lower still for cash with no survey.

48 minutes ago, hounddog said:

Yes, you have but whether there's any telling you or not is another matter.

There have been a number of people come to this forum, on Facebook and people I meet on the canal in recent times and said "it looks like a beautiful boat / it's had recent work done / it's not very old / my heart says yes". 

To them the best advice is if you're not experienced with boats get a survey. A fair few of them have been back reporting serious problems. 
Against that there are the people who say "I never get a survey" or "surveyors can be crap too". They are generally people who know a bit about boats.

The number that end up in dock with £10k quotes is astonishing.

If you think you can tell the condition of 10 year metal that's been sat around in a stagnant ditch without seeing it, measuring it or hitting it with a hammer then you're clever than most.

I have been boating for donkey's years. I wouldn't buy any boat that I didn't personally know without seeing it out of the water, not ever.

The boat's going to cost you £35,000, a hull survey will cost you £500. It's a no-brainer.

so, I'll say it once. Get a survey.

OK, but I will be hitting it with a hammer.,

I am experienced with boats, I mean proper boats, not sardine tins. lol

I have a senior surveyor on standby 

the main point here is 

that I tell vendor: here is 30k, today [almost]

or £35 next month/some time in he future subject to deduction for survey notifications,

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Why not post a link to the boat, or have i missed it?

I dont want anyone  else seeing such a smart boat , am busy counting the cash in my own wallet, ty.

I posted links to boats where I felt I neede advice on tne boat 

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Is there not an 8k limit on cash transactions?

Depends how heavy the suitcase is that you're carrying it in!

You may need to provide evidence for money laundering over a certain amount I suppose... No idea what that may be, not sure it even matters...

Someone will be along shortly no doubt ;)

Edited by Dingle
Stupid predictive blah blah blah