Mppt & fan

luggsy

Featured Posts

Hi am I right in thinking I can connect a 12v pc fan to my Mppt controller on the load connection? As in the warm weather and when the oven is on it can get quite warm in the cupboard where the inverter is , I was going to put a inline fuse and switch so I can turn it on/off when required thanks in advance 

20 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Hi am I right in thinking I can connect a 12v pc fan to my Mppt controller on the load connection? As in the warm weather and when the oven is on it can get quite warm in the cupboard where the inverter is , I was going to put a inline fuse and switch so I can turn it on/off when required thanks in advance 

I cannot see a problem - I wired in a cigarette lighter socket & ran my VHF radio from the 'load connection' on the MPPT

if you have a Tracer or similar unit, the Load circuit is probably the most unused piece of the kit as far as narrrowboat installations go.

Ones I have seen in action powered external nightlights for a set period, or a couple of light fittings in the main cabin to make it look like someone was on board.

The fans take so little volrage, why don't you wire quite a few fans in the same circuit, perhaps one behind bath or shower tray, one behind fridge etc, to reduce heat or damp at the same time.

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

if you have a Tracer or similar unit, the Load circuit is probably the most unused piece of the kit as far as narrrowboat installations go.

Ones I have seen in action powered external nightlights for a set period, or a couple of light fittings in the main cabin to make it look like someone was on board

Am I misunderstanding my Tracer? I understood the Load connection was direct from the panels. How can it power a night light?

1 minute ago, KenM said:

Am I misunderstanding my Tracer? I understood the Load connection was direct from the panels. How can it power a night light?

No it is not direct from the panels. Apart from anything else, panel voltage is far too variable to be of any use. The general idea is that it is for, eg, a streetlight. The Tracer controls when it comes on and for how long, and will cut it off in the event of low battery state.

8 hours ago, KenM said:

These controllers are designed to work a street light, and - for example mine - knows when it is dark by the panel voltage, and it can be programmed to turn on a light at dusk for a few hours and again before dawn.  Quite flexible, but for me I never use the load output.

On 15 June 2017 at 08:37, KenM said:

Most Solar controllers aren't designed specifically for marine use, they are primarily designed for off grid living and in this situation you are likley to have more things you may want to run off the controllers timed load circuit. This circuit uses regulated voltage battery power even during the day when panel voltages can be high. During the day the panels will charge the batteries and run the load if connected at 12v even if the panels are producing more, if the light level (and hence panel voltage) drops the batteries make up the shortfall in voltage to keep a stable 12v. Obviously at night it is all battery power used until the batteries get low in which case the circuit should switch of to protect the battery from discharging too low.

on boats the circuit is rarely used unless you want timed lights for security reasons. If you just want a switched circuit it's easier to just pick up 12v from the battery and have a fuse in line than to mess about programming the Tracer output. But you can use it if you want to.

If the load output can be set to 24/7 it could be used to remotely warn of over discharging batts, by charging a cheap/surplus PAYG phone via a 12v to usb charger.

All it needs is to set the phone to text when charging power is removed for some period of time, this can be done using the 'E-Robot' app on Play store.

The charging circuit could also be interrupted by a door entry switch or relay from the engine starter, giving some sort of security function too.

Edited by smileypete