Fuse boards

OllyO

Featured Posts

I've a desire to get my newly acquired boat electrics cupboard looking tidy and easy to navigate.  Ideally I need something in the region on a 12-way board for all the various equipment, circuits, ring mains etc

Does anyone know of a simple smart looking product for 12v that would be up to the job?  I don't really want to use the domestic rcd type as they very bulky.

ive seen these on 12v planet but not sure if a max load of 20amp is up to it?

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/12-way-mini-switch-fuse-panel.html

the inverter circuits and shore line will be going through small domestic units

14 minutes ago, OllyO said:

What size did you want? 

Blue sea and also BEP sell them, but they are expensive 

Edited by rusty69

Assuming you mean 12v only (you mentioned ring main) I recently used something like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Way-Blade-Fuse-Box-Positive-Bus-with-LED-Failure-Warning-Light-12V-24V-/252185736041?hash=item3ab770f369:g:YSsAAOSwnipWVeut

Various sellers do them from 4 to 10 circuits. You could use 2 x 6 or even 2 x 10 to give a few spares

1 hour ago, OllyO said:

It's 20A per circuit. 30A total. As to whether it's up to it - what's your max 12V demand that will be fed from it?

Worth looking st GS controls reasonable quality at reasonable (by marine standards) price.  Includes Resettable circuit breakers can't understand why anyone would want to faff about with fuses. 

gscontrols.com I think

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

Worth looking st GS controls reasonable quality at reasonable (by marine standards) price.  Includes Resettable circuit breakers can't understand why anyone would want to faff about with fuses. 

gscontrols.com I think

I've got two 6 way panels from gs and am happy with them. Resettable breakers...look quite nice...no trouble at all in 5 years use...

14 hours ago, OllyO said:

I've a desire to get my newly acquired boat electrics cupboard looking tidy and easy to navigate.  Ideally I need something in the region on a 12-way board for all the various equipment, circuits, ring mains etc

Does anyone know of a simple smart looking product for 12v that would be up to the job?  I don't really want to use the domestic rcd type as they very bulky.

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/12-way-mini-switch-fuse-panel.html

the inverter circuits and shore line will be going through small domestic units

Personally I think that type looks a little old-fashioned. 

These are easy to fit and good quality (you don't need switches, just pull the fuse)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Way-Blade-Fuse-Box-Bus-Bar-With-Cover-Marine-Kit-Car-Boat-HGV-12V-24V-/192217279549

and for any higher loads, e.g. inverter, fridge, solar input, use individual midi fuses

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-AMP-MIDI-FUSE-BLUE-MIDI-STRIP-LINK-FUSE-HOLDER-CAR-AUTO-HEAVY-DUTY-100A-/191994605661?var=&hash=item2cb3c5305d:m:mWBRFneYKBo36WrcNd7ERDg

(these are not recommended suppliers just examples of each.

Cheers For that Jonathan, GS looks to be just the job and as you say resettable breakers are much much better than fuses. The price looks good to. Those blue sea jobs looked good but their prices verge on criminal!!!

Cheers hound dog but I have that type in my vechiles and when a fuse goes it's a right pain trying to work out which one it is.  Fiddly things and messy with exposed wiring.

i know what you mean about the other type looking dated though. Mine will be in a cupboard though so just want the most practical and neatest job

7 hours ago, hounddog said:

Personally I think that type looks a little old-fashioned. 

These are easy to fit and good quality (you don't need switches, just pull the fuse)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Way-Blade-Fuse-Box-Bus-Bar-With-Cover-Marine-Kit-Car-Boat-HGV-12V-24V-/192217279549

and for any higher loads, e.g. inverter, fridge, solar input, use individual midi fuses

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-AMP-MIDI-FUSE-BLUE-MIDI-STRIP-LINK-FUSE-HOLDER-CAR-AUTO-HEAVY-DUTY-100A-/191994605661?var=&hash=item2cb3c5305d:m:mWBRFneYKBo36WrcNd7ERDg

(these are not recommended suppliers just examples of each.

And you think that doesn't look old fashioned?  Each to their own ...

and pulling fuses is ok in an emergency but not practical for everyday I'd say - just my opinion of course 

8 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

And you think that doesn't look old fashioned?  Each to their own ...

and pulling fuses is ok in an emergency but not practical for everyday I'd say - just my opinion of course 

Hounddog's first one is similar to the one I posted earlier which I have used, as the op is putting them in a cupboard (like mine) appearance may not be too great a concern. The ones I used had LED lights to show if a fuse has blown. The thread was after all about fuse boards rather than fused switch panels.

30 minutes ago, croftie said:

Hounddog's first one is similar to the one I posted earlier which I have used, as the op is putting them in a cupboard (like mine) appearance may not be too great a concern. The ones I used had LED lights to show if a fuse has blown. The thread was after all about fuse boards rather than fused switch panels.

Switches on fuse panels have always struck me as redundant unless they are part of the control system, for instance in a yacht. In a ULV domestic situation they are just a nuisance (especially if in a cupboard)

6 hours ago, croftie said:

Sure but then you went on to say you would pull the fuse instead of using a switch .... 

I think there is difference between circuit protection and control or switching and boating convention seems to be to have the two functions together or even combined (as in some of the expensive blue sea  stuff)  

the real point I was making is why would you use fuses when a resettable breaker is far superior In every way. Can you even buy domestic consumer units with fuses these days ? Which speaks volumes I'd say

8 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Sure but then you went on to say you would pull the fuse instead of using a switch .... 

I think there is difference between circuit protection and control or switching and boating convention seems to be to have the two functions together or even combined (as in some of the expensive blue sea  stuff)  

the real point I was making is why would you use fuses when a resettable breaker is far superior In every way. Can you even buy domestic consumer units with fuses these days ? Which speaks volumes I'd say

Breakers are not superior in every way. They offer far less discrimination than a fuse. Whilst this doesn't matter for most things, there are circuits, particularly in critical environments where the better discrimination  of a fuse is needed.

Fuses manufactured to BS88 will blow at twice the rated current. Depending on the type of breaker, it will trip between 3 and 5  times rated current.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Breakers are not superior in every way. They offer far less discrimination than a fuse. Whilst this doesn't matter for most things, there are circuits, particularly in critical environments where the better discrimination  of a fuse is needed.

Fuses manufactured to BS88 will blow at twice the rated current. Depending on the type of breaker, it will trip between 3 and 5  times rated current.

The reality is that a fuse(or a breaker) will only blow in a fault condition.

It is to be hoped that everyday life can be enjoyed on a boat without continual occurrences of electrical faults. 

1 hour ago, hounddog said:

It is to be hoped that everyday life can be enjoyed on a boat without continual occurrences of electrical faults. 

However, on a typical narrowboat installation how often do you switch off a circuit? I'd venture never unless you're performing maintenance on a circuit - adding a new light fitting etc. Therefore the simplest fuse panel is all that's required, particularly if it's going to be in a cupboard. If you need to work on a circuit, pull the (clearly labelled) fuse. 

1 hour ago, hounddog said:

Fuses can also fail due to ageing, especially in equipment that runs them close to their limits, but is frequently turned on and off.

Most critical installations change fuses every 5 years to avoid nuisance blowing through ageing.

for my part thanks for all the recommendations. Lots of differing opinions on this subject and I'm sure everyone is different in their various expectations of these components.

im happy with the GS design, style and price and it appeals to my slightly OCD minds need for order when it comes to electrics!!!!

thanks again all! Much appreciated