Llangollen trip

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

On 15/06/2017 at 13:32, Dave_P said:

If you fancy something a little different, I remember an excellent meal at the Swan, Marbury.  It in the village centre about ten minutes walk from Marbury Lock but well worth it.  IMO the pubs right on the canal often take their customers from granted and don't work as hard at pleasing them.   Having said that, sitting in the garden at the Cornmill, overlooking the raging Dee in Llangollen is a lovely thing - just expect to pay for it.

I believe the Swan has closed. We ate there a couple of years ago when we did the Llangollen. Last year we returned but the pub was not doing food and about to close for good. :(

1 hour ago, BoatyMacBoatface said:

I believe the Swan has closed. We ate there a couple of years ago when we did the Llangollen. Last year we returned but the pub was not doing food and about to close for good. :(

Whatpub.com confirms that the Swan is closed. I didn't rate it highly when I visited 2 years ago - part was closed off. (See link earlier)

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Whatpub.com confirms that the Swan is closed. I didn't rate it highly when I visited 2 years ago - part was closed off. (See link earlier)

That's another one we can cross off in our Nicholsons then, along with The Jolly Tar at Wardle

12 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

The Jolly Tar was shut when we passed one way and,hey presto, passing in the other direction it was more than shut, it was gone,forever. 

From what I've Googled since, it was shut down and planning for demolition sought by the developer, then somehow burned down. Reports vary as to if this occurred before or during demolition.

Locally we've had a few lovely old buildings mysteriously burn down that oddly were owned by developers who didn't seem to be getting their own way with planning, strange how that happens isn't it.

When we went up there last year our pub stops were, Willey Moor, decent pint sat outside in the evening sun, Ellesmere, we walked to the White Hart a great real ale pub. The Bridge down the hill at Chrik. We ate out and drank good beer at the Cornmill in Llangollen and despite it being mid August had no trouble getting a mooring in town. I also recommend the train ride and Grouse at Carog.

Nantwich is a nice place and worth the walk from the arm into town. We also stopped at the Cotton arms and had a great Sundat dinner. Whilst moored at Wrenbury is is well worth the walk over the level crossing and across the fields to the Burtpore Arms, if you are into your beer you are well rewarded for the half hour walk. 

Its a pity the Swan has gone, it was a nice walk round the village and the church yard has a great view of the mere. and you could get a decent point after the walk.

The Poachers Pocket is very good, looking at using it for one RCHS lunch stop next May. The number of boats moored outside is testament to it

Llangollen itself has a number of pubs and shops, but like already said the canal is narrow and was built initially as a feeder to main canal, although commercial traffic went up at one time as far as the Chain Bridge

On 6/15/2017 at 20:24, Exturnaroundman said:

According to their website the Swan Marbury is currently closed for refurb and reopening late autumn. One other that is worth a walk is the Keys at St Martin's. Moor by bridge 13w, walk up the steps, left up to the village, take a right at the roundabout, continue past the Texaco garage a short while. Good value pub grub, real ales.

On 6/18/2017 at 14:57, BoatyMacBoatface said:

Website indeed says re-opening Late Autumn 2017 

http://www.swanatmarbury.co.uk/

Having been along the Llangollen at the beginning of June I can also endorse the Cotton Arms, Wrenbury - great service and excellent food, Poachers Pocket, Chirk - good food.  In Llangollen the Dee-side Cafe and Corn Mill are good eating places.

We moored in Llangollen Basin and went on the horse-drawn boat up to the Horseshoe Falls which was good fun as well.  Enjoy your trip!

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great week and a bit, got to Llangollen basin and back with also a short trip up the Middlewich branch as well as we had time to kill.

Ran the full gamut of weather from baking hot sun (forgot suncream on back of hands and suffered for it, silly boy) to torrential rain and back to baking sunshine, even had to light the stove one evening to stop the female crew members from starting a mutiny.

Met some lovely boaters in the main, met a couple of idiots too, but generally a thoroughly enjoyable outing. Even managed to get the Tweenager involved in locks and lift bridges without complaint, which is a first! Even managed to come home with more fishing rods than we set off with due to rescuing a complete setup hung in a tree on the non-towpath side.

Think we're doing it all again at the end of August with my inlaws aboard as well, although I imagine it will be quite a bit busier. We came back down Grindley Brook and Hurleston on the Saturday and it was just starting to get a bit daft with day boats (something a bit worrying about a pensioner poking everything in sight with a 10ft bargepole whilst entering a lock at a 45 degree angle).

happy days :)