Fettlers Wharf Marina Rufford - New Owner

bill brown

Featured Posts

Fettlers Wharf Marina on the Rufford arm of  the Leeds Liverpool which has had something of a reputation has recently been sold to Richard Purcell Estates. They already own two or three other marinas including Furness Vale in High Peak. Just wondering if anyone here has moored at any of these marinas, any comments would be appreciated. Fettlers has become somewhat rundown and I'm hoping the new owner will help erase its association with a certain Austrian gentleman.

Well I have a friend at Furness Vale and Mr Purcell promised them the world but nothing materialised so I suppose it's a case of wait and see, maybe the light has been lifted on Fettlers with the sale but from what my friend says he sounds as bad as the previous owner. 

• 1 month later...

I moved into Fettlers Wharf 2 months ago after hearing about the new owner. There are many liveaboards here and we were certainly promised the earth. I have to say that this is by far the best place we have stayed and the owner has kept his promise. There is something being added or improved every week. the first thing he did was lower ALL the prices. I am a 60ft NB and pay £170 a month. Gas is £23 and diesel is 63p. If I were asked what improvements I would like to see I'd need a long hard think. I've not seen anyone leave for reasons of complaint. There are still plenty of spaces even though we get newbies every week. The local pub is 10 minutes away  Both buses and trains are within 100m. What more could you want, maybe a free mooring. LOL

Fettlers-Wharf-Marina.jpg

4 hours ago, bigste said:

I moved into Fettlers Wharf 2 months ago after hearing about the new owner. There are many liveaboards here and we were certainly promised the earth. I have to say that this is by far the best place we have stayed and the owner has kept his promise. There is something being added or improved every week. the first thing he did was lower ALL the prices. I am a 60ft NB and pay £170 a month. Gas is £23 and diesel is 63p. If I were asked what improvements I would like to see I'd need a long hard think. I've not seen anyone leave for reasons of complaint. There are still plenty of spaces even though we get newbies every week. The local pub is 10 minutes away  Both buses and trains are within 100m. What more could you want, maybe a free mooring. LOL

Fettlers-Wharf-Marina.jpg

Yes the new owner has proved me wrong so far I'm glad to say. I too forked out for a annual mooring a couple of months ago. Have seen him out and about in the marina most times I've visited and true enough changes are being made for the better. What more do I want? A tarmacked road would be nice. I take in the photo above is pre floods of 2015? The road on the right is now stone chippings - a bit hard on the old plates of meat.

• 2 weeks later...

We are here for a few days and then leaving boat whilst we return home for a week if so. So far have found everyone here most welcoming and helpful  both marina owner and staff as well as neighbouring moorers.  I think they should be given every support for trying hard, a lot is being improved but then it needed it! Not all the issues carried over can be fixed overnight but if I were thinking of staying here long-term I'd be pretty optimistic.

• 3 months later...

We are here and Richard is great sorts any problems out very fast and continues to upgrade the place... Highly recommended

On 14/08/2017 at 16:01, bill brown said:

Yes the new owner has proved me wrong so far I'm glad to say. I too forked out for a annual mooring a couple of months ago. Have seen him out and about in the marina most times I've visited and true enough changes are being made for the better. What more do I want? A tarmacked road would be nice. I take in the photo above is pre floods of 2015? The road on the right is now stone chippings - a bit hard on the old plates of meat.

Bill which boat you on mate