Phone software (android) gps to track a journey.

Calranthe

Featured Posts

Hello all,

New question, new topic, for our next try at the journey we do have the map books for the canal but I was wondering does any one have a recommendation of an app for android phones that could record the entire journey and have data like average speed.

In our limited time on the cut, I used ViewRanger to record a trip from Napton to Knowle (2 day trip). At the end of the run you can view graphs of speed, distance and height with time. Quite interesting. All free on Android. I mainly use it for walking but seems to work very well on the cut.

• Greenie 1

I use a GPS bike computer which simply records the track and displays speed.  It did not take long before I stopped downloading the tracks on a regular basis.  You are where you are, and it is the getting there that is the fun, not the analysis after.  So I wouldn't bother spending any money on an app until you either love tracking your journeys  or can't be bothered.  The problem with using a phone, is it needs to be plugged in all the time otherwise the battery will be flat, especially when cruising all day. 

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

In our limited time on the cut, I used ViewRanger to record a trip from Napton to Knowle (2 day trip). At the end of the run you can view graphs of speed, distance and height with time. Quite interesting. All free on Android. I mainly use it for walking but seems to work very well on the cut.

We have this app, as well as our chart plotter, Tridata and a handheld GPS.

In reality on the canals and rivers we rarely use them.

Edited by Naughty Cal

I've used the Google Map my Walk app on a cheap Android tablet with GPS.  Just have to remember to hit start recording when you set off.  This records location along with speed and duration.

i'd avoid any paid apps until you're sure you'll get prolonged use from it.
plus as has been stated, it will drain your battery like nobody's business due to needing a constant signal to plot and track your route.

When I first started getting my daughter out cycling, walking & geocaching, I used the free version of Strava to track our progress as she liked to see where we'd been on a map, how far, elevation, speed etc. but it seemed to like being the only open app and switching to take pics or anything else could throw it out.

We now use a dedicated handheld GPS unit (Garmin Etrex 30) which I bought refurbed for just over £100, this is great if you like to upload your track to various mapping programs, plus the software that comes with it can show you all the useful data. It also runs on AA batteries and will easily last a full day of constant use.

• Greenie 1