Painting above top rubbing strip.

Featured Posts

I would like to repaint above top rubbing strip, i bought paint from marina to do it [mat black] it seems pretty thick would you add thinners too it or just use as is, this is paint not the hull blackening.

On 6/13/2017 at 09:14, wullie said:

I would like to repaint above top rubbing strip, i bought paint from marina to do it [mat black] it seems pretty thick would you add thinners too it or just use as is, this is paint not the hull blackening.

But why not just use the same blacking as on the rest of the hull?

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

But why not just use the same blacking as on the rest of the hull?

Because it don't say 'gunwale paint' on the tin?

I notice in a number of special interest/niche market areas there are people only to willing to offer 'proper' solutions to 'problems' that don't realty exist.

Create a need and bank the result.

36 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Same here. That paint is gonna get scratched real quick.

So true, both purchase shareboats had that area painted in the main cabin colour, and it always got badly scratched and looked awful.

On DQ, the below gunwale area is painted in epoxy blacking, so remains looking pretty good, apart from a couple of scratched where protruding bolts on locks have scratched the paint.

9 hours ago, Taslim said:

Because it don't say 'gunwale paint' on the tin?

I notice in a number of special interest/niche market areas there are people only to willing to offer 'proper' solutions to 'problems' that don't realty exist.

Create a need and bank the result.

It's called market segmentation. Like all those different sorts of paracetamol for different types of pain, but exactly the same pill in a different pack and with a huge mark up.

Jen

But blacking above the top rubbing strip does soon look pretty crap.  for the few pounds difference in cost, why not use the gunwale paint which gives a nice even matt black finish and is easy to touch up.

6 hours ago, dor said:

But blacking above the top rubbing strip does soon look pretty crap.  for the few pounds difference in cost, why not use the gunwale paint which gives a nice even matt black finish and is easy to touch up.

But why do you want it to look different from the rest of the hull? Why not paint the whole hull down to the waterline in gunwale paint if its so much better?