Draught exclusion at doors

Amber34

Featured Posts

Trying to prepare for the Great British Summer and we have these draughty bits around the sliding hatches. 

Only thought so far would be to cut a piece of foam to wedge in the gap, but wondered whether anyone has a better solution, ideally with pics. 

We don't have the luxury of a stove so rely on central heating to warm the boat, and the wind really whistles through these gaps.

20170611_094120.jpg

20170611_094059.jpg

5 hours ago, dor said:

The gaps round the doors are permissible to be included in the ventilation calculations for the BSS.  Check if this is the case before blocking them up.

Not necessarily, it depends on the BSS inspector.

When I was present for a BSS inspection of our last shareboat, the surveyor said there was inadequate ventilation and wanted a large ventilation grille installing in the rear door. 

I asked how he had worked out there was inadequate ventilation, when the boat had previously passed twon inspections without comment. He said he had to exclude the two mushroom vents fitted with fans. I argued that it was reasonable to exclude the area of the vent obstructed by the fan blades, say 50% of area, but not to exclude the whole mushroom. He would not be swayed.

I then argued that as light was visible around all doors and hatches, this area could be included.  He dismissed this, saying this was "fortuitous ventilation" but could not be included in the calculations. He couldn't answer my question as to how the air knew it was only allowed through the official ventilators.

I finally I pointed out the boat was privately licenced, so ventilation was only advisory, not mandatory as on a hire boat.  He stormed off in a temper.

I wrote to the MD of the shared ownership company, asking how many of the 100 or so 58 foot boats in the fleet had failed BSS's on fixed ventilation, and where they had been inspected. As I  thought,  only four had failed and all all the his particular boatyard.

The inspector had the last laugh though.  He waited until we returned form our fortnights holiday, then undertook another inspection in the presence of the next shareholder,  who gave him permission to get the boatyard to cut a hole in the back door and fit ventilation grilles. If I were a cynical chap, I might of thought to the he here his as a money making scam. :P

I complained to the MD of the he shared ownership company, and he relocated the boats the company had moored there., so the boatyard lost out big time.

• Greenie 2