Local place for local boats

nicknorman

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Looking at the bollard spacing, they certainly are sharing.

According to Nick is wasn't there earlier. Perhaps it has been elsewhere........................working!

Just saying. :)

George

No, to be precise I was referring to the hulks. The leisure boat was there when we arrived

1 hour ago, billS said:

You missed out poo boats.

What ever happened to Henk and his pump out boat on the K&A,? Was that a unique enterprise or do other "nightsoil" narrowboats exist?

I fitted pumpout on ALTON about 12 years ago.

George

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Looking at the bollard spacing, they certainly are sharing.

According to Nick is wasn't there earlier. Perhaps it has been elsewhere........................working!

Just saying. :)

George

You do mean the inspection launch style narrowboat at the front of the working boats?  No sure why that would be working though, but of course it could have been elsewhere, just strange that it is in the same place as 3 weeks ago on those 48 hour moorings.

9 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

That's it!  I didn't think anyone could know so little about canals and boats!

(Now who's being 100% serious?) :rolleyes:

George

If this is because I asked what happens at Awbridge then I think you are being a little harsh. Yes, it's a lock in the middle of no-where on the S&W. Yes, some chap has a small coal yard bankside there. But that is hardly the be all and end all of canals and boat knowledge. That is like saying that in order to be a good and knowledgable car driver I would need to know the names and locations of all freight depots in the country. Not relevant, unless you are a lorry driver perhaps. The point is that there is much more to canals and boats than the intricate goings-on of a few coal boats. Similarly, one can happily drive around the country's rounds without being familiar with how the Fosse Way was built nor the vehicles that used it shortly after it was built.

36 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

If this is because I asked what happens at Awbridge then I think you are being a little harsh. Yes, it's a lock in the middle of no-where on the S&W. Yes, some chap has a small coal yard bankside there. But that is hardly the be all and end all of canals and boat knowledge. That is like saying that in order to be a good and knowledgable car driver I would need to know the names and locations of all freight depots in the country. Not relevant, unless you are a lorry driver perhaps. The point is that there is much more to canals and boats than the intricate goings-on of a few coal boats. Similarly, one can happily drive around the country's rounds without being familiar with how the Fosse Way was built nor the vehicles that used it shortly after it was built.

Fair enough Nick.  What were you saying earlier about sense of humour extraction?

George

42 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You do mean the inspection launch style narrowboat at the front of the working boats?  No sure why that would be working though, but of course it could have been elsewhere, just strange that it is in the same place as 3 weeks ago on those 48 hour moorings.

Sorry, I missed the launch hidden under the bows of the empty working boats and thought all the talk was about the six boats.

George

7 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Fair enough Nick.  What were you saying earlier about sense of humour extraction?

George

Oh all taken in good humour of course, but that doesn't mean I can't counter-point your point.

Edited by nicknorman

5 hours ago, billS said:

You missed out poo boats.

What ever happened to Henk and his pump out boat on the K&A,? Was that a unique enterprise or do other "nightsoil" narrowboats exist?

As well as the fuel boats that offer a pump out service, the lower GU has a dedicated travelling "lavender" boat that provides solely this service, (and much in demand it is too).

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Come on Nick.

Just admit it. You're bored again.

Has that last lot of painting dried?

OK.

Get the tin out, open the lid, give the paint a stir and find something that needs painting.

Then just sit back and watch it dry.

:P

0/10 for stalking rapid response.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

As well as the fuel boats that offer a pump out service, the lower GU has a dedicated travelling "lavender" boat that provides solely this service, (and much in demand it is too).

So, ironically, a crap service which is well thought of.

Who first had the inspiration to call them "lavender" boats?

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Coal boats are "working boats" in just the same way as hire boats, trinket-selling boats, cheese boats, sweet boats etc. Being 80 years old makes no difference. But it certainly doesn't make them more "working" than any of the above categories of boat, which seems contrary to the beliefs of some.

i fully realise that to be associated with historic boats one must first have a sense of humour extraction, but some other boaters do retain a sense of humour.

I was going to answer this earlier, and will no doubt still be called a humourless git.

I don't think it is just me who would disagree with your first statement here.  I haven't checked out chapter and verse, as bits of the CRT site I used to be able to find, I currently can't, but I think CRT would also strongly disagree.

Trinket boats, sweet boats, framed print boats, coffee boats, hairdressing boats, etc all tend to be classed as small "Roving Traders", and last time I looked at it, it could actually be the case that if your turnover was below some relatively small figure, you could actually licence the boat at rather less cost than a standard "leisure" canals and rivers licence.  I suspect some people just making pin money out of a hobby go this route just because they can.  Very few of these boats make a full time 5, 6 or 7 days a week business of it, working all the year around, either.

Unless things have changed dramatically, (and I can't find the current document), somebody trading full time in diesel solid fuel and gas and loading it by the boatload, needs a very different licence, and (unsurprisingly!) to have to meet and comply with all sorts of requirements that a "trinket boat" does not.

I think if you wanted to turn Telemachus into a "trinket boat" tomorrow, (you could sell souvenir rivets, possibly?), then CRT would let you do so with consummate ease.  If on the other hand you wanted to own an unconverted boat, and load it up with retail coal to flog on a daily basis, you would probably find it a very great deal harder.

I guess George would know the exact answer on this, but I am confident the two types of trading are not comparable.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, ironically, a crap service which is well thought of.

Who first had the inspiration to call them "lavender" boats?

Not sure if the name was derived from there but the early IWA national rallies mid/ late 50"s the poo boat had bags of Lavender on board, assumed it was to counteract the "Niff" Just bucket & chuck it or elsan type no pump outs in those days The pump out system ejected the soil through a skin fitting into the cut. When BW were looking into banning this type tests was carried out on the Llangollen cut at 200yrds or so intervals as Hurleston res took water for mains use they found the water was more free of problems the nearer it got to Hurleston & the natural "crap" & the human produced "crap canceled each other out to a degree  but that type toilet was banned, with hindsight a wise move with the number of boats more so  the marina & standstill boats

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I was going to answer this earlier, and will no doubt still be called a humourless git.

I don't think it is just me who would disagree with your first statement here.  I haven't checked out chapter and verse, as bits of the CRT site I used to be able to find, I currently can't, but I think CRT would also strongly disagree.

Trinket boats, sweet boats, framed print boats, coffee boats, hairdressing boats, etc all tend to be classed as small "Roving Traders", and last time I looked at it, it could actually be the case that if your turnover was below some relatively small figure, you could actually licence the boat at rather less cost than a standard "leisure" canals and rivers licence.  I suspect some people just making pin money out of a hobby go this route just because they can.  Very few of these boats make a full time 5, 6 or 7 days a week business of it, working all the year around, either.

Unless things have changed dramatically, (and I can't find the current document), somebody trading full time in diesel solid fuel and gas and loading it by the boatload, needs a very different licence, and (unsurprisingly!) to have to meet and comply with all sorts of requirements that a "trinket boat" does not.

I think if you wanted to turn Telemachus into a "trinket boat" tomorrow, (you could sell souvenir rivets, possibly?), then CRT would let you do so with consummate ease.  If on the other hand you wanted to own an unconverted boat, and load it up with retail coal to flog on a daily basis, you would probably find it a very great deal harder.

I guess George would know the exact answer on this, but I am confident the two types of trading are not comparable.

This page https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/business-and-trade/boating-business/starting-or-expanding-a-boating-business/roving-traders seems to lump them all as "roving traders", except that boats carrying hazardous substances such as coal, diesel and gas require a Boat Master Licenced skipper. But most of the links on the CRT website seem to be broken! There seems to be only one rate for trading. So until proven otherwise, I am disinclined to believe your supposition.

So earlier on we had the point that questioned whether volunteer work was "working" and now you are saying that part time working isn't "working". It does seem that your definition of "working" is very narrow and entirely tweaked to suit your agenda!

21 hours ago, nicknorman said:

This place was empty earlier on this afternoon when we moored by the NIA. Now look at it! Full of old junk from far away!

IMG_3062.JPG.83f3e91e00446ebdb2163b993a59ec41.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG.ad69e8125ab0d3af6429caf944d95cc7.JPG

At least they had the courtesy to triple-breast 'em. What ARE they doing here? Perhaps they've been dumped? 

Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing Nick. Did you get one of Carina moored in the arm and also still being used as a place of work...?

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing Nick. Did you get one of Carina moored in the arm and also still being used as a place of work...?

Well done Rob, you're the only one to "get it"!

Which one is Serena (family joke from Holby City) err I mean Carina?

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

10 years now since I last licensed a coal boat and I know the regs have changed.  It used to be a CCV (cargo carrying vessel) but is now different.

I know you need to be an RDCO (registered dealer in controlled oils) to sell diesel and your pump needs to be Trading Standards measured and sealed.  They even looked at my coal to make sure the weighing complied.  You also need a boatmaster 3 or equivalent.

You won't find details on licensing the larger cargo boats on the Trent etc on the CRT website so it is possible you won't find ex CCV types on there either.  I know that when I first started I needed a letter of approval for my operations from the local manager, something a "trinket" boat doesn't need.

George

18 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well done Rob, you're the only one to "get it"!

Which one is Serena (family joke from Holby City) err I mean Carina?

Carina is the butty moored by the Sea Life centre used as a bicycle workshop.

3 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

10 years now since I last licensed a coal boat and I know the regs have changed.  It used to be a CCV (cargo carrying vessel) but is now different.

I know you need to be an RDCO (registered dealer in controlled oils) to sell diesel and your pump needs to be Trading Standards measured and sealed.  They even looked at my coal to make sure the weighing complied.  You also need a boatmaster 3 or equivalent.

You won't find details on licensing the larger cargo boats on the Trent etc on the CRT website so it is possible you won't find ex CCV types on there either.  I know that when I first started I needed a letter of approval for my operations from the local manager, something a "trinket" boat doesn't need.

George

But the Trading Standards bit is nowt to do with the boating element / CRT.

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Carina is the butty moored by the Sea Life centre used as a bicycle workshop.

Oh yes. Still there and presumably has a fixed trading boat licence.