Local place for local boats

nicknorman

Featured Posts

This place was empty earlier on this afternoon when we moored by the NIA. Now look at it! Full of old junk from far away!

IMG_3062.JPG.83f3e91e00446ebdb2163b993a59ec41.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG.ad69e8125ab0d3af6429caf944d95cc7.JPG

At least they had the courtesy to triple-breast 'em. What ARE they doing here? Perhaps they've been dumped? 

They have left you a space in the best mooring spot in Brum, although that first spot is a bit noisy by the air con outlets.

One things certain they will move about a bit when the trip boat goes past if they are still there tomorrow.

40 minutes ago, john6767 said:

They have left you a space in the best mooring spot in Brum, although that first spot is a bit noisy by the air con outlets.

One things certain they will move about a bit when the trip boat goes past if they are still there tomorrow.

TBH we prefer being on the mainline, south side.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

This place was empty earlier on this afternoon when we moored by the NIA. Now look at it! Full of old junk from far away!

At least they had the courtesy to triple-breast 'em. What ARE they doing here? Perhaps they've been dumped? 

Off to Awbridge to be loaded up.

Looking at the pictures, I would say:

Back row (left to right) Stanton, Towcester, Bideford

Front Row (left to right) Cedar, Southern Cross, Bletchley

What a wonderful sight!

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Off to Awbridge to be loaded up.

Cant be, surely?  Mr Norman keeps telling us there or only EX working boats these days!

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Cant be, surely?  Mr Norman keeps telling us there or only EX working boats these days!

What happens at Awbridge? But I'd still say that getting loaded up with some stuff just for the sake of it, doesn't make it "work". "Work" is when you get paid for it, not when it's a hobby.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

He's still learning about heritage boats so we will have to forgive him and help to educate him because he is clearly very interested in them.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

What happens at Awbridge? But I'd still say that getting loaded up with some stuff just for the sake of it, doesn't make it "work". "Work" is when you get paid for it, not when it's a hobby.

Awbridge is John Jackson's coal yard.

I realise you are trying to be provocative but these boats represent some people's livelihoods. Do you not think it's all a bit daft?

JP

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

"Work" is when you get paid for it, not when it's a hobby.

Really? I have heard of, and indeed undertaken, something called "voluntary work". Is that just toy work, then?

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Really? I have heard of, and indeed undertaken, something called "voluntary work". Is that just toy work, then?

Yes. Or as my mother used to call it, for some reason I can't remember - for "pin money". But anyway to clarify, I was are talking about the boats, not the people. Although of course the boat does the work, the people get paid. Which seems very unfair. I suggest a boat can't volunteer! And anyway, moving some stuff from one place to another just for the sake of it, could hardly be described as voluntary work. 

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes. Or as my mother used to call it, for some reason I can't remember - for "pin money". But anyway to clarify, I was are talking about the boats, not the people. Although of course the boat does the work, the people get paid. Which seems very unfair. I suggest a boat can't volunteer! And anyway, moving some stuff from one place to another just for the sake of it, could hardly be described as voluntary work. 

You're vigorously turning that clockwork device this morning, Mr. N!

46 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Careful, Nick, your total lack of knowledge of canals and boats is showing!

George

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

IMG_3062.JPG.83f3e91e00446ebdb2163b993a59ec41.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG.ad69e8125ab0d3af6429caf944d95cc7.JPG

430ft of boats occupying the space normally "filled" by two inconsiderate washer joshers.  How thoughtful of these "hobby" boaters!

George

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

He's still learning about heritage boats so we will have to forgive him and help to educate him because he is clearly very interested in them.

The highlighted bit will be the hardest, I think.

• Greenie 1

Okay Nick I will "bite." As CWDF doesn't have a "junk" thread you should have put this in "History & Heritage." There again you may have difficulty navigating there as your knowledge appears rather woeful in this area. :ninja:

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

"Work" is when you get paid for it, not when it's a hobby.

So is anybody that owns their own business providing a real retail business used by hundreds, and which they both work at themselves full time and use others as subcontractors, just a hobbyist without a real job?

Or in your eyes does it only apply to those who happen to use 80 year old equipment to make it happen?

If you still think you are being humorous, I'm not too sure many of our readers will get the joke.

40 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

430ft of boats occupying the space normally "filled" by two inconsiderate washer joshers.  How thoughtful of these "hobby" boaters!

Oh, they are not sharing rings are they?  Can't see Washer Josher types doing that - one's butler would be asked to intervene, I think.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Oh, they are not sharing rings are they?  Can't see Washer Josher types doing that - one's butler would be asked to intervene, I think.

Are they sharing bollards though, not so certain of that.

I notice that the boat in front of them was there both before and after the BCN Challenge, just saying.

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

"Your ring, M'Lord"?

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So is anybody that owns their own business providing a real retail business used by hundreds, and which they both work at themselves full time and use others as subcontractors, just a hobbyist without a real job?

Or in your eyes does it only apply to those who happen to use 80 year old equipment to make it happen?

If you still think you are being humorous, I'm not too sure many of our readers will get the joke.

Coal boats are "working boats" in just the same way as hire boats, trinket-selling boats, cheese boats, sweet boats etc. Being 80 years old makes no difference. But it certainly doesn't make them more "working" than any of the above categories of boat, which seems contrary to the beliefs of some.

i fully realise that to be associated with historic boats one must first have a sense of humour extraction, but some other boaters do retain a sense of humour.

We always share rings as we are doing right now - annoyingly all the boats that arrived after us on the other side, didn't and as such much space was wasted. Not sure whether this is thoughtlessness, selfishness or stupidity. Fortunately it was fairly quiet and there was still a bit of space at the close of play. It would be good if CRT replaced some of their stupid signage with suggestions to always share rings even if when you arrive (at 3 pm) there seems plenty of room.

Edited by nicknorman
To replace "cola" with "coal" - even though it was a Freudian slip!
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Are they sharing bollards though, not so certain of that.

I notice that the boat in front of them was there both before and after the BCN Challenge, just saying.

Looking at the bollard spacing, they certainly are sharing.

According to Nick is wasn't there earlier. Perhaps it has been elsewhere........................working!

Just saying. :)

George

56 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Coal boats are "working boats" in just the same way as hire boats, trinket-selling boats, cheese boats, sweet boats etc. Being 80 years old makes no difference. But it certainly doesn't make them more "working" than any of the above categories of boat, which seems contrary to the beliefs of some.I

You missed out poo boats.

What ever happened to Henk and his pump out boat on the K&A,? Was that a unique enterprise or do other "nightsoil" narrowboats exist?

18 minutes ago, billS said:

You missed out poo boats.

What ever happened to Henk and his pump out boat on the K&A,? Was that a unique enterprise or do other "nightsoil" narrowboats exist?

I think he pooped off back to lumpy water.