Winding below Hanwell flight.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Can you wind a 59 footer anywhere below the Hanwell flight? We want to go down the flight to overnight there and go to the Fox. Will we have to go down to Brentford to wind or is there somewhere nearer? Don't much fancy winding in the mouth of the River Brent there as I've grounded there before now.

Good question. No winding places on Nicholsons although have winded myself 62 foot at Brentford above gauge locks. How long is bote?

Googe earth aistr wide bits before Brentford.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Probably 59ft ;)

Doh! I foolishly took the 62 foot up the Brent upstream in a severe flood and sure we got sucked 360 in a slow whirlpool somewhere near past but close to Brentford.

Edited by mark99

I'm comparing WJM's "many times" with only one experience last year so you might want to take this with a pinch of salt!

There is often quite a large bank of silt and debris where the Brent enters the GU, I ran aground on this and then picked up a sleeping bag on the prop when extracting myself. While clearing this, another boat came along and also ran aground in the same spot.

I would not attempt to wind below Hanwell.

Frank.

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

I'm comparing WJM's "many times" with only one experience last year so you might want to take this with a pinch of salt!

There is often quite a large bank of silt and debris where the Brent enters the GU, I ran aground on this and then picked up a sleeping bag on the prop when extracting myself. While clearing this, another boat came along and also ran aground in the same spot.

I would not attempt to wind below Hanwell.

Frank.

The mudbank is a few meters downstream of the river mouth and only a couple of meters wide. Keep the boat in the deep pool below the lock and you can turn easilly without going near the mud. The area is dredged periodically and right now the mudbank is quite small.

The build up of silt at the point where the Brent enters the canal can be a nightmare, but if they've dredged it it's easy to wind there. If you head towards Brentford I have managed to wind my 56 ft boat under the bridge that carries the Piccadilly line

Just now, Gyptian said:

The build up of silt at the point where the Brent enters the canal can be a nightmare, but if they've dredged it it's easy to wind there. If you head towards Brentford I have managed to wind my 56 ft boat under the bridge that carries the Piccadilly line

Done the same there with a 59'

Thanks for all the replies. We've found a space to moor half a mile below the bottom lock and the Brent mouth. So probably won't reverse back to wind there. Might try the Piccadilly line bridge. We'll go to the Fox tonight to think about it!

Its well worth a trip down to Brentford as its suprisingly green. We got snagged in this flood whirpool somewhere where the Brent either enters or leaves. Near a lock. Let us know how you got on. The Fox is a decent pub.