Pillocks of the Cut

mark99

Featured Posts

Broxbourne on Lee.

Bloke in big house with massive gin palace.

We moored opposite no probs. Loads of boats moored in a line. Next door moorer advises that, if we has moored in the 5 m long stretch of scrawney reeds next to us, the chap in house opposite gets annoyed. Ok fine. But there are no signs whatsoever and its all hard towpath anyhow.

30 mins later a boat pulls in behind into but not flattening any reeds as it too shallow to come right in. Sure enough chap in big house comes out ranting about the reeds being for wildlife no mooring. Dutifully ignored.

Here is the irony. His 100 foot moorings on the offside are constructed so well not even moss gets a look in.

So this character, everytime a boat moors nearby allows himself to get fully wound up because no-one knows his rules. ;)

I got a photo of this chaps boat and house will upload when we get home.

Edited by mark99

When this chap comes out for his ranting, can he still walk properly, as houses like that normally cost an arm and a leg.

But if he's such a pillock, he may have used someone elses arm and leg to pay for his place.

If not he must be stinking rich, and thinks that he's the boss whenever-and wherever he wants.

Peter.

3 minutes ago, bargemast said:

When this chap comes out for his ranting, can he still walk properly, as houses like that normally cost an arm and a leg.

But if he's such a pillock, he may have used someone elses arm and leg to pay for his place.

If not he must be stinking rich, and thinks that he's the boss whenever-and wherever he wants.

Peter.

He he. All that wealth and privilidge and still unhappy and angry.

But surely you know that if you live in a big house you also own the view and the flora and fauna thereon. It also entitles you to tell peasants to clear off in case they scare the horses and hunt furry animals if you so choose. He probably has the right to first dibs at passing maidens as well.

6 minutes ago, bargemast said:

Peter.

He is not that rich then, The one in Marlow sends his men across to have a word

1 hour ago, Bee said:

But surely you know that if you live in a big house you also own the view and the flora and fauna thereon. It also entitles you to tell peasants to clear off in case they scare the horses and hunt furry animals if you so choose. He probably has the right to first dibs at passing maidens as well.

my dad used to call them the nouveau riche.

he greatly respected 'old wealth' and recalled having to deliver, on behalf of his boss, a sample to a hereditary earl at his country house address.  

seeing a bloke cutting the hedge on the driveway, wearing worn trousers, braces and a scruffy vest he concluded that a gardener at such an establishment would at least be wearing a collarless shirt, and went up to the bloke addressing him by his title ..............  he had guessed right.  

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, BWM said:

Would appear that he wants to cultivate the reed bed to prevent people mooring opposite his garden, rather than to attract wildlife. 

It's  a wanabee Duke. Cant afford to have the village relocated to improve the view but does his little bit. ;)

49 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

my dad used to call them the noveau riche.

he greatly respected 'old wealth' and recalled having to deliver, on behalf of his boss, a sample to a hereditary earl at his country house address.  

seeing a bloke cutting the hedge on the driveway, wearing worn trousers, braces and a scruffy vest he concluded that a gardener at such an establishment would at least be wearing a collarless shirt, and went up to the bloke addressing him by his title ..............  he had guessed right.  

I have found the same thing when I was an apprentice boy

51 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

my dad used to call them the noveau riche.

Good story, have a greeno.

Majesty knows modesty.

There's one a but closer to home in Braunston. He lives on the long term moorings near the Stop House.

He prints and laminates no mooring notices for the vacant mooring and also leaves his bicycle locked to the fence where the space is, not by his own boat.

If you moor in the space - as Braunston is full-he comes along and tells you it is a private mooring and the moorers will be back soon......although it has been vacant for 2 years.

I've stopped on it overnight 3 times now and had the same every time.

I don't move

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, mark99 said:

Broxbourne on Lee.

Bloke in big house with massive gin palace.

We moored opposite no probs. Loads of boats moored in a line. Next door moorer advises that, if we has moored in the 5 m long stretch of scrawney reeds next to us, the chap in house opposite gets annoyed. Ok fine. But there are no signs whatsoever and its all hard towpath anyhow.

30 mins later a boat pulls in behind into but not flattening any reeds as it too shallow to come right in. Sure enough chap in big house comes out ranting about the reeds being for wildlife no mooring. Dutifully ignored.

Here is the irony. His 100 foot moorings on the offside are constructed so well not even moss gets a look in.

So this character, everytime a boat moors nearby allows himself to get fully wound up because no-one knows his rules. ;)

I got a photo of this chaps boat and house will upload when we get home.

Thats an attitude to wildlife that really gets to me, the same approach that want the natural world fenced in to reserves behind walls that charge entrance fees to see the "natural world" whilst bleaching clean their own space.

Of course he could just be an arse and using the wildlife as an excuse to stop smelly boaters ruining  his view but that wouldn't have allowed me to rant about one of my hobby horses :)

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 2

Update. This same asshole just this second has just sent a motorised radio controlled boat across the cut to chase away a group of canada geese. Does that not tell you he is either ill or arrogant.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There's one a but closer to home in Braunston. He lives on the long term moorings near the Stop House.

He prints and laminates no mooring notices for the vacant mooring and also leaves his bicycle locked to the fence where the space is, not by his own boat.

If you moor in the space - as Braunston is full-he comes along and tells you it is a private mooring and the moorers will be back soon......although it has been vacant for 2 years.

I've stopped on it overnight 3 times now and had the same every time.

I don't move

But CRT will get their contractors to Fine,sorry charge you £150 for using a mooring without a permit

12 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Update. This same asshole just this second has just sent a motorised radio controlled boat across the cut to chase away a group of canada geese. Does that not tell you he is either ill or arrogant.

My job brings me into contact with a lot of people who just seem to hate any interaction with the natural world and will find any excuse to exclude it from their lives

My fav is a chap who wanted a tree gone, gave all the normal excuses, birds, leaves, twigs, sap, insects and so on, it was a very hot summer day and as we chatted he moved into the shade of the tree to get get of the sun.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I guess you had no sinking stones to hand...

41 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Time to bring out the radio controlled submarine? 

27 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Their name is legion, for they are many....sadly! Dave

Indeed. The back story to this is that the lady who moored behind me was what I call a distressed moorer. She had lost reverse and needed urgently to moor in the nearest possible place in amongst a linear mooring park. So said lady brings in boat very well and slows down with aid of ropes by bankwalker and me kicking off her bow and boat comes into a tight spot. Said lady skillfully missing our boat and doing a pretty good mooring. Then is treated to mr angrys tirade whilst tying up. Angry is so mad he does not know the real story here that there is a boat and boater in distress. Ignorant pig.

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I guess you had no sinking stones to hand...

I honestly thought it was a local chav on my bank etc until I went out and saw this birk on the opposite bank!

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

My job brings me into contact with a lot of people who just seem to hate any interaction with the natural world and will find any excuse to exclude it from their lives

My fav is a chap who wanted a tree gone, gave all the normal excuses, birds, leaves, twigs, sap, insects and so on, it was a very hot summer day and as we chatted he moved into the shade of the tree to get get of the sun.

Ha ha love it, the idiot wants a tree gone for doing all the things trees do - habitat, shade etc etc. They'll start on the rainforest next, oh hang on a minute ........

'We' live in an increasing urban society - some of whom escape to the 'country' and bemoan cow poo on country lanes, birds that shout all night (our Nightingales have gone away of late) and coos, sheep that shout all day. Crap internet, ditto overhead landlines,

But

but

but

the neighbours, scenery and peace are worth it.

Well, perhaps a bit...