Granite Tramway and Stover Canal

Featured Posts

I went on the RCHS weekend in April, but have never got round to posting anything. As I'm getting a bit bored of the election aftermath I thought a couple of pics of something completely different might help.

The first pic is of the Haytor Granite Tramway alongside the terminal basin of the Stover Canal at Ventiford - this isn't an interpretation, it's not the track with the rails lifted - that's the tramway, the plateway rails are made of granite, which was in plentiful supply locallyThe canal opened in 1791 and closed in 1937, although I'm not sure if it was used all the way to Ventiford at the end. The quarries on Hay Tor ceased trading in 1858.

CWDF 1.jpg

a detail of the rails

CWDF 2.jpg

This is the top lock, Teigngrace, a few hundred yards away

CWDF 3.jpg

That's rather good - White Lake Channel? I presume that once onto the locked canal they were horse drawn of bow hauled

I have only seen the Ventiford end, I think a plan to spend a day or two seeing the whole canal and some tramway on Hay Tor is called for

• 2 weeks later...