Driving service/help in West London?

Cpickle

Featured Posts

Hi everyone 

I'm trying to find out if there's anyone that offers assistance with boat driving in the West London area. 

I collected my boat - a widebeam - on Friday and drove it with my boyfriend from Watford into London as far as Greenford. He's had to go and work abroad this week so it's just me now and I'd really like to get the boat to Kensal, near the big Sainsbury's so that I can load some large items into the boat - I hear it's a good spot.

I'm not at all confident to drive and moor on my own yet and I'm wondering if there are people in London that I could pay to help me out with this?

Thanks for any advice

Cait

30 minutes ago, Alf27 said:

Go on, try it yourself, you never know you may be a natural !

On the other hand this could be poor advice!

There are rather too many examples at the moment of big wide beams with dents in them in the lower reaches of the GU, presumably often relating to people buying them who don't yet actually know how to fully handle them.

If OP doesn't feel confident about handling on her own, I suggest she is probably being wise to ask if assistance might be possible.

• Greenie 1

I'm not just worried about locks, also narrow bridges and trying to moor it by myself. We did get quite a few scratches on the way down, both from inexperience (we were going too fast at first) and from tree branches etc. 

I would try London Boaters but they haven't accepted my request to join the group :(

Thanks all for help

If you do decide to go for it do it early real slow and when there is no wind.

Unfortunately those very short term visitor moorings are often hogged a bit. 

From memory there is a bit of canal near Park Royal with road access nearby. Google erf.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, mark99 said:

If you do decide to go for it do it early real slow and when there is no wind.

Unfortunately those very short term visitor moorings are often hogged a bit. 

From memory there is a bit of canal near Park Royal with road access nearby. Google erf.

Mark - Thanks! I've google mapped it as suggested and it does look like really easy access there. 

4 hours ago, Cpickle said:

I'm not just worried about locks, also narrow bridges and trying to moor it by myself. We did get quite a few scratches on the way down, both from inexperience (we were going too fast at first) and from tree branches etc. 

I would try London Boaters but they haven't accepted my request to join the group :(

Thanks all for help

You'll probably be much better off joining the "London Boatwomen" group, which my wife tells me is significantly more sensible and less full of tongue-in-cheek abuse of newbies than the main group.

There are no locks or narrow bridges between Greenford and Kensal. That journey could not be any more simple. I would suggest you just go for it, if you can't drive a boat on such a simple piece of water maybe boating is not for you!