Remote greasers

badgerbag

Featured Posts

My 60' is about 20 years old and the stern gland has always been greased with an attached lever grease gun. I'd like to fit a remote greaser, to avoid having to climb down into the bilge every day, but with a trad stern and boatmans cabin the most convenient place to site one would be in the engine room, screwed to an engine bearer. The pipe would then have to be about 3 1/2 meters long. 

Does it sound feasible, or even sensible, to try and force grease through this length of pipe? 

If it is any help here's mine. One for the stern gland, t'other for the Plummer / Pillow Block.

The stern gland greaser has Morris K99 Water resistant grease, The plummer block greaser has lithium grease.

DSCF6112.jpg

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

If it is any help here's mine. One for the stern gland, t'other for the Plummer / Pillow Block.

The stern gland greaser has Morris K99 Water resistant grease, The plummer block greaser has lithium grease.

DSCF6112.jpg

I like the idea of keeping eggs in your cabin bilge.

You can completly replace the manual greaser with one of these, and then just change the cartridge annually.

http://www.skf.com/uk/products/lubrication-solutions/lubrication-systems/single-point-automatic-lubricators/gas-driven-single-point-automatic-lubricators/index.html

Common on truck and rail systems.

Alternatively replace with a water lubricated gland, such as the Vetus one.

https://www.vetus.com/stern-gear-systems/water-lubricated-stern-gear.html

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

31 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

Remember, you are not moving the whole grease from one end to the other, just forcing out what is already there.

Actually, all the grease in the pipe has to move!  If it's cold and the grease is thick, the effort to move it is totally dependant on the length of the pipe.  You must be thinking of fluids with very low viscosity, such as water, petrol or diesel.