What you can or can't do?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

How does that affect what it's called?

A look at a couple of engine web sites suggests that "decompression lever" is its correct name.

Yes, "decompression lever" is the correct name for the decompression lever which is at the top of the engine.

This is a separate and different fitting on the fuel pump, which opens the fuel rack further than in normal use, to provide more than the usual amount of diesel to aid cold starting, then unlatches itself and allows the fuel rack to perform as usual.

Decompression lever just decompresses! In other words, makes the engine easy to spin over but it can't start until the lever is returned to its normal position. It is to allow for an underpowered starter motor and/or hand starting.

1 minute ago, FadeToScarlet said:

Yes, "decompression lever" is the correct name for the decompression lever which is at the top of the engine.

This is a separate and different fitting on the fuel pump, which opens the fuel rack further than in normal use, to provide more than the usual amount of diesel to aid cold starting, then unlatches itself and allows the fuel rack to perform as usual.

Ah, thank you. I don't think my engine has one of those. It does have two priming levers which manually pump more diesel into the cylinders. But they won't stay in the forwards or open position on their own.

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

It is required that different boaters use the same word to describe different components on their respective boats, and vice versa.

:D

Not sure about the "vice versa" bit, but otherwise yes. Gunwales/gunnels/side decks...bow/prow/pointy end...

1 minute ago, Athy said:

:D

Not sure about the "vice versa" bit, but otherwise yes. Gunwales/gunnels/side decks...bow/prow/pointy end...

You've just illustrated the vice versa point!

On using the same word to mean different things, "water pump" can mean at least six things - fresh water pump, shower pump, bilge pump, radiator circulation pump, engine water pump, raw water pump.

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Blimey, we nearly agree on something! Nearly, because I suppose a case where a boat is aground requires more power. Or a good shove!

12 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Nearly is good enough for me Nick. I realise it would almost pain you as much to admit you fully agree with me as it would to admit you love heritage ex-working boats. I reckon we could agree on a lot more if you could though.

Jon

Just get a room you two!!! ;)

21 minutes ago, junior said:

If you lift you side fenders up whilst cruising or using a lock, you will sink.

If you leave your fenders down whilst cruising or using a lock, you will sink.

Wherever you moor, moor with slack lines, at right angles to the bank or , preferably just a centre line. This gives maximum opportunity to whinge, rant and grumble. Develop a tourettes tic, raise fist shout slow down, at the slightest whisper of a boat going by.

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

You've just illustrated the vice versa point!

On using the same word to mean different things, "water pump" can mean at least six things - fresh water pump, shower pump, bilge pump, radiator circulation pump, engine water pump, raw water pump.

and decompressor can mean excess fuel, choke, heater, primer or anything else to do with starting an engine  :D

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Ah, thank you. I don't think my engine has one of those. It does have two priming levers which manually pump more diesel into the cylinders. But they won't stay in the forwards or open position on their own.

Its well hidden. Unless you are shown it or read the manual you would never know it was there.

5 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Decompression lever just decompresses! In other words, makes the engine easy to spin over but it can't start until the lever is returned to its normal position. It is to allow for an underpowered starter motor and/or hand starting.

We had a hand start ruston 3vsh, the decompression lever was to change it from a rotating state to one of complete lock up and the young 'engine swinger' to perform a neat somersault over the starter handle as the lever was dropped. 

In my experience.

21 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Nearly is good enough for me Nick. I realise it would almost pain you as much to admit you fully agree with me as it would to admit you love heritage ex-working boats. I reckon we could agree on a lot more if you could though.

Jon

I love heritage ex-working boats. They provide plenty of entertainment eg 

I think the phrase is "all the gear and no idea"!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Nice of them to do a bit of dredging in the marina entrance.

Perhaps he forgot if it was one ding or two dings to go astern or maybe he was waiting for the steerer of Kildare to help him turn quicker but he had left the butty behind.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

President is in no way typical of any other ex working boat, lost respect for them in the one time I saw them in action, they totally ignored the advice of an ex working boatman on a really basic manoeuvre and ended up stuck across the canal for half an hour or more.

Your phrase certainly has its merits in this instance. 

47 minutes ago, AMModels said:

President is in no way typical of any other ex working boat, lost respect for them in the one time I saw them in action, they totally ignored the advice of an ex working boatman on a really basic manoeuvre and ended up stuck across the canal for half an hour or more.

Your phrase certainly has its merits in this instance. 

Most of the crew seem to be steam enthusiasts rather than working boat enthusiasts so more interested in operating the steam engine than handling the boat.

When I got to steer Adamant around Braunston parade it was a great experience but I did keep forgetting how many rings of the bell to change from ahead to astern but I didn't hit anything thankfully.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Most of the crew seem to be steam enthusiasts rather than working boat enthusiasts so more interested in operating the steam engine than handling the boat.

When I got to steer Adamant around Braunston parade it was a great experience but I did keep forgetting how many rings of the bell to change from ahead to astern but I didn't hit anything thankfully.

It was at Parkhead and Joe Safe was the boatman, we were chatting and they were winding and had got stemmed. He wandered over and just suggested they take a course of action, very politely and was rewarded with "we know what we are doing we do this quite a lot you know" Joe just looked at the guy and said "Get stemmed up? I'm not surprised " and walked away from him.
I had to turn away I was laughing so hard, we spent the next half hour watching them get more stuck until they called for a tug to free themselves.

I think it all went wrong in that video because the steerer was improperly dressed.

How can you steer a boat like that without wearing braces? He was probably worrying about whether his trousers would fall down and lost concentration

• Greenie 2

When in a hire boat you always have right of way at a bridge regardless of who was there first.  You also can pass on whichever side takes your fancy, no need to alert oncoming boat as to which side.

Apparently if you have an ex working boat you can't share locks with moderns because your rubbing strakes are in the wrong place and will cause the painted hull sides to become scratched, not to mention the painted guards.

the bloke who refused to go down with us today stated in 10 years boating and 1000 locks a year he had never scratched the paint and that modern boaters have to look after their ( fragile) craft,  implying that the owners of 80 year old boats with rubbing strakes scratched raw from the Stratford don't maintain or care for their boats. 

Bet he leaves the car in the garage and makes his wife walk to m and s.

she did not look happy with the idea of Hatton hard agin.

saw them moored in warwick on the blind bend by tescos. Vandals busy eying it up.

On 6/11/2017 at 18:55, Bewildered said:

Further to my post in the walking the gunnels thread with regard to being told that walking the gunnels whilst underway is illegal, and the fact that once a stupid point of view is voiced as fact it doesn't take long for people to believe and start repeating it.

This has started me wondering are there any other boating rules/regulations that belong in the urban myth catagory?

Mooring lines. Two lines are no longer legal. Three lines are mandatory now.

On line on each end of the boat plus the centre line too, stretched vertically down tight onto a third mooring stake.

For reasons no-one can ever explain.

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mooring lines. Two lines are no longer legal. Three lines are mandatory now.

On line on each end of the boat plus the centre line too, stretched vertically down tight onto a third mooring stake.

For reasons no-one can ever explain.

I must admit I often feel I am missing something as I walk down a row of moored boats these days as most of them seem to do that now. But then a working boat would have probably used the back end rope if that is the correct term