What you can or can't do?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Further to my post in the walking the gunnels thread with regard to being told that walking the gunnels whilst underway is illegal, and the fact that once a stupid point of view is voiced as fact it doesn't take long for people to believe and start repeating it.

This has started me wondering are there any other boating rules/regulations that belong in the urban myth catagory?

It didn't take long for idiots running schools to ban conkers because of all the non existent conker related eye injuries, all because certain idiot newspapers (newspapers as used in its loosest possible term) ran a story about some schools banning them and idiots followed suit.

So what complete tosh have you heard on the cut that you can or can't do?

• Greenie 1

It's illegal to cruise at night is one I was told on the Rochdale

I was also

told you couldn't cruise after 8pm because you weren't allowed to run your engine after 8pm.

1 hour ago, NickF said:

It's illegal to cruise at night is one I was told on the Rochdale

I was also

told you couldn't cruise after 8pm because you weren't allowed to run your engine after 8pm.

It is on the Middle Level that boat movements after dark are not permitted.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Boating at night is one that is often mentioned. I have a clause in my insurance that states I can't single hand at night but not that it isn't allowed.

single handing is ok if you have a quick tug

"you cant share my ring...."

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 3

Increasingly, you can't open a paddle fully to start with, only 1/2, regardless of the behaviour of the lock. Obviously it depends on the lock but eg when we went up Grindley Brook the lockie was telling folk to only use 1/2 paddle to start with. When we got into the locks we just whacked the paddles fully open as we almost always do - and miraculously the world didn't end / boat didn't sink. But even those who constantly have pans of boiling water on the stove and tiny children underneath, surely this only matters when you are going uphill?

No - today we came up the Wolverhampton 21 and mercifully only encountered one other boat coming down - we swithered whether to turn the lock on them but decided against it, but were rewarded by them only using 1/2 bottom paddle for the first several minutes. The boat had barely descended from my viewpoint (waiting in the lower lock) and I was thinking "surely they've left the top paddles open" but no, by the time I'd got the binoculars out they decided to properly open the bottom gate paddles.

In similar vein, coming up Hatton a couple of years ago Jeff got shouted at by a volockie for opening both bottom paddles on an opposite direction boat. Apparently when there is only one boat descending in a wide lock, opening both bottom paddles is likely to wake the Kraken and cause a small nuclear explosion wiping out most of Warwickshire.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

Two last trip both on the Llangollen. We were on the last mooring ring at Churk Bank when a boat came by and said "we can't moor here, its not an official mooring and we will get into trouble" The second was a boat heading to the head of navigation and the shore crew said to the helmsman. "We will wind and then moor on line,because if we moor in the basin we are not allowed to leave until 10AM."

There was a chap on the BCN challenge who decided to leave the Tipton summit early down the Crow (as lots of boats were trying to get up the top before 2pm).

He wound the lower paddle about a 1/4 way up after making sure his boat was safe. 

Under captains instruction (clever eye message) I fully opened the offside paddle to speed his progress.:P

25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Matty!! :lol:

When I was totally new and Mike was teaching me boater-speak and teaching me how to boat, he sent me up to a lock to ask the dude we could see up there was single handing. I got half way there before I had to go back because I was giggling too much. Mike suggested I try again only framing it as "are you on your own" instead.

2 hours ago, lulu fish said:

Not being allowed to run the engine after 8pm is also a myth

According to the CRT website, it is advised that you don't run a generator after 8pm as not to make a nuisance and disturb the neighbours?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Sharing rings can lead to all sorts of trouble, if you do share you need to make sure you use suitable protection so as not to cause any damage.

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes, and any courteous and considerate person would abide by that when within earshot of others. However you are still "allowed" (by law) to run your genny whenever you like if you are a rude and inconsiderate person.

only if you are moored near someone who doesnt know how to turn them off........

You can post a lot or post little, the more post counts you have and if you post on every Topic even if it is irreverent to the topic the more you are experienced in boating, even if you don't have or never had a boat.

Edited by Northernboater

9 minutes ago, Northernboater said:

The more post counts you have and if you post on every Topic even if it is irreverent to the topic the more you are experienced in boating, even if you don't have or never had a boat.

sorry, MJG has gone to the caravan forums now.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Sharing rings can lead to all sorts of trouble, if you do share you need to make sure you use suitable protection so as not to cause any damage.

Sharing rings is okay, but important safety tip, never cross the lines, it would be bad.

It is also not allowed to offer help the crew of any other boat at the lock you are waiting for. You must stay with your boat at all times, preferably inside the cabin, until the lock is free for use.  And of course you must close the gates after leaving regardless of that oncoming boat.....