What you can or can't do?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

When you get to a bridge hole with something coming the other way and it is clearly your bridge, you have to hang back or stop for a bit just in case the other party is coming through anyway, or you made a mistake and you're not really 50ft closer to it than they are.

They are then obliged to wait a while and wonder why you've stopped, before deciding that you are giving them the bridge. However! Just as they lose patience with your mortal dithering and decide to come through, you finally realise that they were indeed waiting for you to take the bridge, and move into forwards. You then both have to stop again.

You can repeat this process as many times as you like, ideally until you're close enough to communicate with the crew of the other boat, at which point one of you has to fold and call the other one through.

The one going through first then has to go through as slowly as humanely possible in order to ensure that the other steerer has the maximum amount of wasted time, and the additional opportunity to lose control of his hovering boat and fishtail it across your oncoming boat's path.

Nobody taught me this one, I worked it out on my own.

When mooring when there is only one other boat in sight, ensure that you get as close as you can so that your exhaust pipe is as close to their open cabin doors as possible.  Wave in a friendly manner, leave your engine running, lock up and go to the pub.

35 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

When mooring when there is only one other boat in sight, ensure that you get as close as you can so that your exhaust pipe is as close to their open cabin doors as possible.  Wave in a friendly manner, leave your engine running, lock up and go to the pub.

Funny, I've not had anyone do that to me. You must be unlucky or something.

On 6/13/2017 at 22:05, nicknorman said:

.......in the eyes of the religious fanatics - who didn't disappoint of course.

Isn't a Hudson owner calling a Working Boat nerd a "religious fanatic" a bit like a DUP MP calling a Sinn Fein MP a "terrorist sympathiser"?

;) (smiley added for the hard of laughing).

1 hour ago, carlt said:

Isn't a Hudson owner calling a Working Boat nerd a "religious fanatic" a bit like a DUP MP calling a Sinn Fein MP a "terrorist sympathiser"?

;) (smiley added for the hard of laughing).

ooooooooo fight fight fight fight :D 

29 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It's really difficult to fight someone who takes 3 days to come back at you!

Actually I took seconds to respond, after reading the post, but weeks have passed since my last visit.

I was going to overreact to a response to a post I made in the "Election" thread but realised 20 pages ago is too far back to get narked about.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

OR HAVING AN ARGUMENT IN MORSE CODE

-.-- . ... / -... ..- - / .. - / -.-. .- -. / -... . / --.- ..- .. - . / - .... . .-. .- .--. . ..- - .. -.-. / .-- --- .-. -.- .. -. --. / .. - / --- ..- - / --- .-. / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. / ..- ... . / .- / -.-. --- -. ...- . .-. - . .-.

6 minutes ago, AMModels said:

-.-- . ... / -... ..- - / .. - / -.-. .- -. / -... . / --.- ..- .. - . / - .... . .-. .- .--. . ..- - .. -.-. / .-- --- .-. -.- .. -. --. / .. - / --- ..- - / --- .-. / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. / ..- ... . / .- / -.-. --- -. ...- . .-. - . .-.

This could have been a lot of fun back in the bad old days of the mod banhammer...

• Greenie 1

On 6/11/2017 at 20:49, matty40s said:

There was a chap on the BCN challenge who decided to leave the Tipton summit early down the Crow (as lots of boats were trying to get up the top before 2pm).

He wound the lower paddle about a 1/4 way up after making sure his boat was safe. 

Under captains instruction (clever eye message) I fully opened the offside paddle to speed his progress.:P

I thought that the best action, otherwise I thought you were going to hit him

Richard

If you have a boat that goes nowhere apart from hogging the same visitor mooring week after week it must be contain the followings ironic words in its boat name:

Wandering 

Wanderlust

Traveller

Gipsy

Nomad

Adventurer

Pathfinder (sic)

You get the picture. ;)

Edited by mark99

When mooring for the night in busy locations always leave about half an average boat's length between you and the next boat, and as a very minumim leave at least 2 mooring rings unused between you and the others.

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

When mooring for the night in busy locations always leave about half an average boat's length between you and the next boat, and as a very minumim leave at least 2 mooring rings unused between you and the others.

I thought they did that so us little boats can squeeze in :lol:

6 hours ago, Grassman said:

This has been debated at great length on this forum. It isn't necessarily as inconsiderate as it may seem, as you can't know who was there first, or who has since disappeared. .