Cutting a cabin bilge inspection hatch

MHS

Featured Posts

I've just finished cutting a hatch in our floor in a rear cupboard. Just in front of the rear bulkhead. It turned out to be a really easy job using my Worx sonicrafter. I've had it 5 years or so and they're worth their weight in gold!! They really are a great piece of kit, you don't need to even drill a hole to insert it like you would for a jigsaw. 

I cut a 250mm square hole, with the sides at approx 30 degrees to the vertical. The hatch lifted out easily and drops back in, fitting virtually flush with the floor. 

Our boat is now 3 years old, and I was delighted to see it was bone dry on the base plate. 

IMG_6412.PNG

1 hour ago, MHS said:

I've just finished cutting a hatch in our floor in a rear cupboard. Just in front of the rear bulkhead. It turned out to be a really easy job using my Worx sonicrafter. I've had it 5 years or so and they're worth their weight in gold!! They really are a great piece of kit, you don't need to even drill a hole to insert it like you would for a jigsaw. 

I cut a 250mm square hole, with the sides at approx 30 degrees to the vertical. The hatch lifted out easily and drops back in, fitting virtually flush with the floor. 

Our boat is now 3 years old, and I was delighted to see it was bone dry on the base plate. 

IMG_6412.PNG

Worx sonicrafter,  I thought you were going to write sonic screwdriver, now that would be impressive! Good the bilges were dry and thanks for the tip.

I have the Bosch cordless version, it is super and with a metal cutter blade can nip of nails and small screws, but for serious wood cutting I resort to my A team, both cordless: The little circular saw is so greedy I call it my Tasmanian Devil. I just used them to chop out the cockpit deck of my Elysium 27 in a couple of hours.

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

BTW I have no affiliation with Bosch, I just happened to come by a bunch of their batteries and bought the tools to use them ;)