Cabin door size

Featured Posts

What is the generally accepted thickness of cabin doors please. I`m use to normal house door thickness and for example kitchen cupboard doors but whilst capable of making the cabin doors not really sure what is normal. Domestic thickness I feel to heavy. Thankyou

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

What is the generally accepted thickness of cabin doors please. I`m use to normal house door thickness and for example kitchen cupboard doors but whilst capable of making the cabin doors not really sure what is normal. Domestic thickness I feel to heavy. Thankyou

External doors - as heavy, strong and secure as you can possibly make them - some are plate steel.

We live in 'bad-times'.

Internal doors - strong / thick enough to do the job.

Weight is rarely an issue on steel NB's - and when the fit out is finished you will need to add concrete (etc) in the hull to add weight anyway.

My bathroom door that slides is a standard domestic internal door the ones full of honeycomb cardboard. My galley units are standard B&Q Kitchen unit doors. My external doors are metal, the bow ones have hardwood framed glass doors hung inside, The steel ones only closed and locked when we leave the boat. The stern doors are 4mm steel lined inside with wood panelling about  15mm thick

Edited by ditchcrawler

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My external doors are metal, the bow ones have hardwood framed glass doors hung inside, The steel ones only closed and locked when we leave the boat. 

Yes, I like that idea. Is this doable with any boat with central doors at the bow?

5 hours ago, jddevel said:

I would think it is down to the material being used for the amount of security you want.

Steel 3mm plate

GRP 6mm

Solid Wood 18mm - 25mm

Steel a RHS frame wiht 3mm plate.

Timber a nice frame with a 18mm ply insert.

GRP what ever style you want to mould up from but a good 6mm thick all over.

Dont forget to make it to suit the type of locks you want to use.

I really must learn to write what I`m thinking and then read what I`ve written!!!!! By cabin doors I was referring to the internal dividing doors between for example galley/ lounge and passageway to remainder of the boat. I intend making secondary doors to all external steel doors-bow,stern and side hatch so that the steel ones can remain open but wood ones shut during inclement weather. Doors will all be oak paneled or glazed in the case of the external doors referred to above. so I think 22/25mm will be sufficient.

7 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I was referring to the internal dividing doors between for example galley/ lounge and passageway to remainder of the boat

If I may make an observation - make any doors such that they can be easily removed without damage to the surrounding woodwork.

A 6 foot diameter x 40 (?) foot tube is a fairly small space - you should aim to minimise the number of doors that will 'shut off' light, size and perspective - it would be very easy to take the 'house builders' view that every room should be a defined, closed, box and if this happens you will end up with a series of 6'x6' dark & claustrophobic 'cells'.

I cannot think that I have ever seen a door between the galley and the lounge, or between the lounge and the rest of the boat. Typically you will have a door on the bathroom (which depending on layout MAY close off the full width of the boat), and possibly a 'bedroom door' if it is a 'boat of multiple occupancy'.

Its your boat - you can do whatever you want. 

14 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I really must learn to write what I`m thinking and then read what I`ve written!!!!! By cabin doors I was referring to the internal dividing doors between for example galley/ lounge and passageway to remainder of the boat. I intend making secondary doors to all external steel doors-bow,stern and side hatch so that the steel ones can remain open but wood ones shut during inclement weather. Doors will all be oak paneled or glazed in the case of the external doors referred to above. so I think 22/25mm will be sufficient.

I only have 2 internal ones, the bathroom I mentioned and one on the bedroom that is a sheet of ply with strips of ply glued to it to give a panel effect, it has about a 3" gap at both top and bottom and closes against the frame, not into it. So no fancy  door fitting required.

On 6/11/2017 at 14:41, jddevel said:

ah then

an idea for you.

get the cheap internal house doors that are honeycombed internally with card.  You can cut then down to what ever size you need. the edges just glue and screw new battens around. 

I have done this a few times and works fine and easy. just the same but smaller in the end. even easy to put in the new catch plates.   

On 2017-6-11 at 14:56, Alan de Enfield said:

If I may make an observation - make any doors such that they can be easily removed without damage to the surrounding woodwork.

A 6 foot diameter x 40 (?) foot tube is a fairly small space - you should aim to minimise the number of doors that will 'shut off' light, size and perspective - it would be very easy to take the 'house builders' view that every room should be a defined, closed, box and if this happens you will end up with a series of 6'x6' dark & claustrophobic 'cells'.

I cannot think that I have ever seen a door between the galley and the lounge, or between the lounge and the rest of the boat. Typically you will have a door on the bathroom (which depending on layout MAY close off the full width of the boat), and possibly a 'bedroom door' if it is a 'boat of multiple occupancy'.

Its your boat - you can do whatever you want. 

Yes, I tend to agree. I only have two internal doors on my boat: bathroom and one between the bedroom and the rest of the boat. The latter is a bi-fold door, but it's unnecessary, seldom used and is generally left open.

That smoke alarm has since been relocated, before anyone tells me off!

DSC00475.JPG

DSC00487.JPG

Edited by blackrose