Pump keeps cycling in

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mross said:

OP says there is no accumular!  For the effort of adding valves, which won't necessarily solve the problem, he could fit an accumulator.  Belt and braces would be to do both.  

I would not fit the accumulator until the cause of the cycling had been found because to do so will increase the cycling period so the pump stays off for loner and that might confuse the diagnosis.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would not fit the accumulator until the cause of the cycling had been found because to do so will increase the cycling period so the pump stays off for loner and that might confuse the diagnosis.

Agree, I even put an isolation valve before my accumulator for that reason

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

There is a Toolstaion within easy walking distance of the canal at Leamington. Moor near Alde/Morrisons/The moorings (pub) and walk p the hill towards the big retail park and then the Mosque. Toolstaion is set back on the left before the mosque (I think that is what it is).

Thanks but passed that already, heading for Hatton flight now. Do you think this could be connected, found the crud while exploring ump issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2017 at 19:34, Tony Brooks said:

That is exactly what you will find if you have an internal or external leak. A calorifier leak will ether fill the bilge if its external or cause the engine or central heating header tank to overflow if its internal (Unless you have a domestic type pressurised heating system).

A leak on the toilet flush will only fill the holding tank or cassette more quickly and until the tank/cassette is full will not fill the bilge.

Tony, many thanks for the well constructed and knowledgeable advice. Thought would update you, put in two isolation valves, when either or both turned off, problem still existed. Shelled out fior a new pump today.......problem solved. So both of the pumps I used have same problem. Rang Whale and they suspect it's a problem with the internal micro switches. Thanks for your time, appreciated. Have spent hours trying to sort this.

On 6/10/2017 at 19:23, umpire111 said:

Checked pro, outlet dry, put tissue paper in to check. No leaks anywhere and all bilges dry. It's been going on about a month now.

It's almost certainly dirt in the inlet valves letting the system drain back through the pump. It happened to my Whale Watermaster. You can get a replacement head and you can dismantle it and try and clean it. They are soft silicone valves. 

I would try taking it apart and cleaning it, if that doesn't work, but the replacement head kit (about £40).

The absolute test is a stop valve after the pump. If it still happens it's the pump draining back, if it stops the leak is downstream.

I realise you've solved it by replacing the pump but if anyone else experiences it. 

Edited by hounddog

Rather then spend more money I think I would first try fitting  plumbers pendulum type non-return valve between the inlet strainer and the pump. It will probably cost about a fiver and provides a backup to the pump valves. However if Whale are correct its the micro switches then a NRV will not make any difference. However I can not reconcile your symptoms with faulty micro switches.

• Greenie 1