Sterling 1800w inverter overheated

RichM

Featured Posts

I have a Sterling 1800w MSW inverter. It is 20°c aboard and for some reason my inverter was alarming and on checking the unit, I noticed the "overheat" light was on. There was very little load on the inverter and it regularly sees 3x the load without problem.

I left it a while and it seems to be OK now but obviously a little concerned as to what was amiss.

Any thoughts?

RichM

As Rusty suggests, pull the fuse then take the cover off and see if the air intake/outlet and any fan are full of dust and fluff. Assuming it has a fan check that it spins freely. 

You could try running it with the cover off (BE CAREFUL, MAINS VOLTAGES ARE PRESENT) to see if it's happier and if the fan kicks in. 

41 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

AND - sometimes the fan fails - I'm assuming it's a very old unit ('cos I've got one that's ten plus years old).

Encouraging to know that they will handle 3x rated power....

I did not read it that way. I thought he ment that the load at that time was a third of what it regularly supplies.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I did not read it that way. I thought he ment that the load at that time was a third of what it regularly supplies.

Quote:- and it regularly sees 3x the load without problem.

Now if somebody sold me '3x' beer but it had 1/3 the alcohol......

(WotEver) just had a go at me, so I thought..... 

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

AND - sometimes the fan fails - I'm assuming it's a very old unit ('cos I've got one that's ten plus years old).

Encouraging to know that they will handle 3x rated power....

The fan is working but thanks. And no, you're putting words in my mouth. - I merely intended to highlight that it was drawing significantly less than what it would on many occasions.

1 hour ago, Nickhlx said:

Did someone put the immersion heater on ?

Nick

Unfortunately I do not have one

53 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That's indeed what I meant :)